Ok it's time to ask for some advice

Started by jthomp26
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jthomp26

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody.... I'm really not sure what I should do here....so I need some advice from people who have taken classes.

I am a non-traditional student...I was in the military and now I'm planning on attending dental school...hopefully in 2014. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I've sort of been taking a variety of classes here and there...although I always had dentistry in the back of my mind....so I've taken quite a few science classes.

I've put my self in a difficult situation though....and here it is:

I am 33 credits shy of getting my B.S. I need 33 hours and the classes that I'm planning on taking are as follows -

Class Credit hours

Cell and molec 3
Cell molec Lab 3
microbio 5
physiology 3
biochem 3
immuno 3
analytical chem 4
neurobio 4
calculus 4


I want to take my DAT this summer obviously...and the issue is that if I want to have a solid 2 months studying for the DAT then I can't take any courses during the summer....or....I have to select the easiest courses from my list. Because I've bounced around...really all I have left are all of these upper level courses.

So here's where I need the advice..... I have 4 options:

1. Take the DAT in late June and take 2 classes during the second half of the summer semester.......and since the second half would start in late May I would be sacraficing about a week and a half of my summer classes to study for the DAT...which could potentially be detrimental

2. Take the easiest class I can during the first half of the summer and do that while studying for the DAT.

3. Take no classes during the summer and fit them all into the Fall/Winter semesters...risking a heart attack....or worse - bad grade/s

4. Take no classes during the summer....and take a manageable courseload during the Fall/Winter....which would lead to being 3-6 credits short of graduation...and pray that a D-school overlooks the lack of a degree.

SO with that said....what option would choose? And if it's option 1 or 2....what are the relatively/B]easiest classes out of that list that you've taken?
 
options 3 and 4 are viable

non traditional applicant and an Ex-military is in a very favorable position to be admitted, especially for Texas schools. Hope you are a texas resident.
 
That makes me think of another question....probably a dumb one...and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

I'll be googling it in the meantime but if anyone knows the answer to this...

I lived in Texas for 2 years and North Carolina for 4...and then Michigan for....ohh...24 years....

Do you keep residency in a state once you leave? I still have an NC drivers license.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That makes me think of another question....probably a dumb one...and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

I'll be googling it in the meantime but if anyone knows the answer to this...

I lived in Texas for 2 years and North Carolina for 4...and then Michigan for....ohh...24 years....

Do you keep residency in a state once you leave? I still have an NC drivers license.

That I don't know. U need to call local DPS?
 
Ok yeah I googled it. Seems as though if you don't claim residency while you "have" residency you lose it. I figured as much.

Thus...I am not a Texas resident :-/