Ok it's time to ask for some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jthomp26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.... I'm really not sure what I should do here....so I need some advice from people who have taken classes.

I am a non-traditional student...I was in the military and now I'm planning on attending dental school...hopefully in 2014. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I've sort of been taking a variety of classes here and there...although I always had dentistry in the back of my mind....so I've taken quite a few science classes.

I've put my self in a difficult situation though....and here it is:

I am 33 credits shy of getting my B.S. I need 33 hours and the classes that I'm planning on taking are as follows -

Class Credit hours

Cell and molec 3
Cell molec Lab 3
microbio 5
physiology 3
biochem 3
immuno 3
analytical chem 4
neurobio 4
calculus 4

I want to take my DAT this summer obviously...and the issue is that if I want to have a solid 2 months studying for the DAT then I can't take any courses during the summer....or....I have to select the easiest courses from my list. Because I've bounced around...really all I have left are all of these upper level courses.

So here's where I need the advice..... I have 4 options:

1. Take the DAT in late June and take 2 classes during the second half of the summer semester.......and since the second half would start in late May I would be sacraficing about a week and a half of my summer classes to study for the DAT...which could potentially be detrimental

2. Take the easiest class I can during the first half of the summer and do that while studying for the DAT.

3. Take no classes during the summer and fit them all into the Fall/Winter semesters...risking a heart attack....or worse - bad grade/s

4. Take no classes during the summer....and take a manageable courseload during the Fall/Winter....which would lead to being 3-6 credits short of graduation...and pray that a D-school overlooks the lack of a degree.

SO with that said....what option would choose? And if it's option 1 or 2....what are the relatively/B]easiest classes out of that list that you've taken?

Members don't see this ad.

options 3 and 4 are viable

non traditional applicant and an Ex-military is in a very favorable position to be admitted, especially for Texas schools. Hope you are a texas resident.

That makes me think of another question....probably a dumb one...and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

I'll be googling it in the meantime but if anyone knows the answer to this...

I lived in Texas for 2 years and North Carolina for 4...and then Michigan for....ohh...24 years....

Do you keep residency in a state once you leave? I still have an NC drivers license.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes me think of another question....probably a dumb one...and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

I'll be googling it in the meantime but if anyone knows the answer to this...

I lived in Texas for 2 years and North Carolina for 4...and then Michigan for....ohh...24 years....

Do you keep residency in a state once you leave? I still have an NC drivers license.

That I don't know. U need to call local DPS?

Ok yeah I googled it. Seems as though if you don't claim residency while you "have" residency you lose it. I figured as much.

Thus...I am not a Texas resident :-/