OK pharmacist arrested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
not too sure if this has already been posted or not. i couldnt find anything related to it from the 'search' button... Anyways i wonder what the whole story is? there has to be more to it than this. basically the story is the pharmacist sells 6 guys (undercover dea officers) sudafed. these guys all showed their ID's when they arrived. Pharmacist according to one web source took all necessary legal steps in selling the sudafed products. but they are arresting him on selling precursors to meth because the officers all arrived in the same car and some other BS. I work in a retail setting with NO windows to the outside. how would i know if these men arrived in the same car or not? we have mexicans do sudafed runs all the time at our work. we put their name in the database nothing pops up. so we sell it. since when do we have to police these things? anyways... article found here:

http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Templa...mplate=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=20446

his cause can be joined here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120940070002

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you read the grand jury indictment... it paints a much better picture overall. There's also a good thread going on this already at the pre-pharm side of the house.

My biggest problem with Haskel is that he has PSE jacked up to 600% of cost and also sells the most PSE in the entire state of Oklahoma. There's some other pretty damning evidence, like the fact that one of the folks in the sting was an acknowledged methamphetamine producer and Haskel knew him to be such, and Haskel knew that between 60 and 70% of his PSE sales were going directly to the meth. trade.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff they've lined up on him too. All in all, he's a shady guy.

But, the implications are there for a larger problem - Like, is just entering in a GROUP too suspicious to sell PSE? The indictment keeps mentioning that they entered as a group, and also that they arrived in the same vehicle. But, the emphasis is on the GROUP entrance.

It's definitely good food for thought, at any rate.

Make sure you read the grand jury indictment... it paints a much better picture overall. There's also a good thread going on this already at the pre-pharm side of the house.

My biggest problem with Haskel is that he has PSE jacked up to 600% of cost and also sells the most PSE in the entire state of Oklahoma. There's some other pretty damning evidence, like the fact that one of the folks in the sting was an acknowledged methamphetamine producer and Haskel knew him to be such, and Haskel knew that between 60 and 70% of his PSE sales were going directly to the meth. trade.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff they've lined up on him too. All in all, he's a shady guy.

But, the implications are there for a larger problem - Like, is just entering in a GROUP too suspicious to sell PSE? The indictment keeps mentioning that they entered as a group, and also that they arrived in the same vehicle. But, the emphasis is on the GROUP entrance.

It's definitely good food for thought, at any rate.

I read the statement from the attorney general and I agree, this guy was shady. But I'm not too sure about the part I bolded. Do they have any proof to back that up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the statement from the attorney general and I agree, this guy was shady. But I'm not too sure about the part I bolded. Do they have any proof to back that up?

Yep, sure do. It's in the indictment. I can't copy+paste a PDF so I'll just link.

http://www.oag.state.ok.us/oagweb.nsf/0/d583a9c351ed1441862576010063d746/$FILE/evans,%20haskell%20indictment.pdf

"...with full knowledge that sixty to seventy percent of PSE sales were diverted into manufacture of methamphetamine".
It's unclear whether the indictment meant specifically that Haskel was aware that 60-70% of his sales of PSE were diverted to manufacture meth., however it's a really brief inductive leap as I illustrate below:

Specific Fact: 60-70% of LSE sales is diverted to manuf. of meth.
General Conclusion: 60-70% of Haskel's PSE sales is diverted to manuf. of meth.

That combined with the 600% markup... Six HUNDRED percent and still the highest sales in the state doesn't make his case of innocence look too likely.

It's unclear whether the indictment meant specifically that Haskel was aware that 60-70% of his sales of PSE were diverted to manufacture meth., however it's a really brief inductive leap as I illustrate below:

Specific Fact: 60-70% of LSE sales is diverted to manuf. of meth.
General Conclusion: 60-70% of Haskel's PSE sales is diverted to manuf. of meth.

Oh now that's just stupid and you know it. The way they phrased it makes it sound like he knows when he sells PSE to specific people that they are using it specifically to make meth.

Oh now that's just stupid and you know it. The way they phrased it makes it sound like he knows when he sells PSE to specific people that they are using it specifically to make meth.

You'd have to be a dullard not to know that a great deal of PSE sales go directly in the mfr. of methamphetamine.

But this isn't about that... it shouldn't be, anyway, because that'll only derail the thread into an inane argument about the "war on drugs."

The salient point here that isn't elucidated sufficiently is that a slippery slope exists wherein a pharmacist can be held accountable for profiling his patients. That is to say, a pharmacist must be keenly aware of whether his patients arrived together, or in groups, and the like. Above and beyond his occupational requirements, I believe, and this could be the beginning.

I can't tell the future and neither can you, but if you read the indictment it "sounds" pretty much like the agents had excellent suspicion with which to conduct the "raid." And, as I mentioned over @ pre-pharm, it could be a convenient stepping stone to wind up a better warrant.

At best, he's a careless pharmacist practicing in a backward town (I went to basic training there, it's pathetic) and shouldn't be practicing with such corner-cutting charades. At worst, he's in collusion with folks that mfr. methamphetamine (a large problem in Oklahoma) and additionally is/has been making a very tidy profit from it .

I'm not entirely sure what angle you're on about here, p-rog, so I'll just close there. Does anything bother you about the indictment besides the wording about PSE diversion?

I'm not entirely sure what angle you're on about here, p-rog, so I'll just close there. Does anything bother you about the indictment besides the wording about PSE diversion?

You can't tell what my angle is because I keep changing it lol. But yeah, something else bothered me in the indictment. It sounds like part of the "reckless" selling of PSE was that he recommended to a customer that they should buy a smaller quantity of PSE because they reached their monthly limit. honestly, is that really reckless enough to be considered illegal? I sure hope not.

hey jackasshat, i grew up in this backwards town. and since you went to basic training here means that you don't know anything about it since you were stuck on base and they only let you out for good behavior. there are a lot of good people in this town and one fool doesn't represent the whole town.

meth is HUGE in OK and TX. and if the rumors are true about the rph, then he had it coming to him and they should throw the book at him. he's guilty and gives our profession a bad name.

if he did everything by the book, then why has he been arrested? there has to be more to the story. are we supposed to profile everyone that buys pse? most of us do and we tell the meth-heads that we are sold out. it's fairly easy to spot them, especially after you see them over and over. he was in it for the $$ and didn't care about anything else

if they still had firing squads, do you think the gun toting rph from OKC would be on it?

You'd have to be a dullard not to know that a great deal of PSE sales go directly in the mfr. of methamphetamine.

But this isn't about that... it shouldn't be, anyway, because that'll only derail the thread into an inane argument about the "war on drugs."

The salient point here that isn't elucidated sufficiently is that a slippery slope exists wherein a pharmacist can be held accountable for profiling his patients. That is to say, a pharmacist must be keenly aware of whether his patients arrived together, or in groups, and the like. Above and beyond his occupational requirements, I believe, and this could be the beginning.

I can't tell the future and neither can you, but if you read the indictment it "sounds" pretty much like the agents had excellent suspicion with which to conduct the "raid." And, as I mentioned over @ pre-pharm, it could be a convenient stepping stone to wind up a better warrant.

At best, he's a careless pharmacist practicing in a backward town (I went to basic training there, it's pathetic) and shouldn't be practicing with such corner-cutting charades. At worst, he's in collusion with folks that mfr. methamphetamine (a large problem in Oklahoma) and additionally is/has been making a very tidy profit from it .

LOL, as sensitive as you may be, Lawton is a pathetic excuse for a city. There was a mall. And... yep, that's about it. And you know nothing about the military, that's clear. Let out for "good behavior"? What the hell? Your intellect is definitely the finest Oklahoma can offer. You don't even know that my best friend lives in Tulsa, and I have visited Fort Sill as an AD Soldier on several occasions, and have had the misfortune of being stuck in Lawton (shudder) overnight. There isn't any way you could've known, but to out-and-out assume that I wasn't stationed at Sill as an Artilleryman or something after OSUT was pretty idiotic, too. You basically read the "backward town" and then your little country mind started whirring about how horrible and disparaging that was, and latched onto the very first thing you could to punch a hole in my statement to declare that Lawton is truly an amazing place to live or be raised (gag me). Also note that you jumped right to calling me a name, which is definitely worlds apart from assigning an adjective like "backward" or "backwater" (very common btw...) to a city. Can I use you as another person to base my judgment of Lawton on? A character witness?

Moving on, you know we can't deal in rumors, chief. That might be acceptable if you grew up in a town the size of a thumbtack, but the indictment is based on fact. In case you missed it in "high school", the law doesn't operate too much on myth or rumor. The RPh was acting extremely carelessly, that is obvious, without contention. About as without contention as property values being terrible in Lawton (Median house value is a staggering $93,000... I wonder why? Must be the boooooming economy! LOL).

if they still had firing squads, do you think the gun toting rph from OKC would be on it?
Do you mean, if "they" still had firing squads, do you think the gun-toting RPh [Jerome Ersland] would be standing in front of the firing squad about to get ventilated, or what? I really don't understand that question. Rephrase, thanks!

His sale(s) of alprazolam, for which he was also indicted, definitely showed his propensity to act outside of "the book." To his credit, he did not let the buyers exceed 9g of PSE and did request photo ID. But, the preponderance of ass-whooping evidence is still there, circumstantial as it may be. My mind keeps circling back to 600% mark-up in conjunction with the highest sales in the state. Not just in po-dunk Lawton, but in the entirety of Oklahoma. Unless, of course, all (or most) pharmacies in that area mark-up similarly in order to discourage illicit sales, in which case (and in that context), the gravity of that particular facet of the allegation diminishes.

hey jackasshat, i grew up in this backwards town. and since you went to basic training here means that you don't know anything about it since you were stuck on base and they only let you out for good behavior. there are a lot of good people in this town and one fool doesn't represent the whole town.

meth is HUGE in OK and TX. and if the rumors are true about the rph, then he had it coming to him and they should throw the book at him. he's guilty and gives our profession a bad name.

if he did everything by the book, then why has he been arrested? there has to be more to the story. are we supposed to profile everyone that buys pse? most of us do and we tell the meth-heads that we are sold out. it's fairly easy to spot them, especially after you see them over and over. he was in it for the $$ and didn't care about anything else

hehe, i was just sticking up for my hometown. and so what if most of what you say about it is true, i was just taking a jab at you for taking a jab at my hometown. (i'm sure you would do the same for yours). i apologize for calling you a name, let's just leave it at that. as entertaining as it is to read people yell at each other going back and forth thru forums, i'm not one to do it.

In UK OTC decongestants switched to phenylephrine. Pseudoephedrine available as a 'P' med. This means can be sold under pharmacist supervision. Result, no great problem in UK.

US has only GSL (general sales list) and POM (prescription only med).
a 'P' classification would enable pharmacy to sell more effective meds currently on prescription only.
jophnep

Looks like more unpleasant news.

Bottom line is, if people want drugs bad enough, they will get them.

@above post:
Hmmm, the UK doesn't sound so bad. Maybe......

Call me a Brit and douse me in some Earl Grey tea.

i dunno. like i said earlier i knew there had to be more to this story. i dont blame him for marking up his sudafed 600%. We have lots of drug use in our town. if someone wants to buy a pack of 10 syringes without a prescription or without insulin we charge them 10 dollars. and funny thing is they still fly off the shelves. ijust wish our store said to hell with all sudafed products. its such a pain in the butt to go through all the paper work

LOL, as sensitive as you may be, Lawton is a pathetic excuse for a city. There was a mall. And... yep, that's about it. And you know nothing about the military, that's clear. Let out for "good behavior"? What the hell? Your intellect is definitely the finest Oklahoma can offer. You don't even know that my best friend lives in Tulsa, and I have visited Fort Sill as an AD Soldier on several occasions, and have had the misfortune of being stuck in Lawton (shudder) overnight. There isn't any way you could've known, but to out-and-out assume that I wasn't stationed at Sill as an Artilleryman or something after OSUT was pretty idiotic, too. You basically read the "backward town" and then your little country mind started whirring about how horrible and disparaging that was, and latched onto the very first thing you could to punch a hole in my statement to declare that Lawton is truly an amazing place to live or be raised (gag me). Also note that you jumped right to calling me a name, which is definitely worlds apart from assigning an adjective like "backward" or "backwater" (very common btw...) to a city. Can I use you as another person to base my judgment of Lawton on? A character witness? .... About as without contention as property values being terrible in Lawton (Median house value is a staggering $93,000... I wonder why? Must be the boooooming economy! LOL).

Dude man, chill with the Oklahoma bashing. Most small towns in America are like Lawton, really. And median home values of around $100k is really where they should be, not like the ridiculous $500k median in California (and giving us the financial crisis after the bubble burst). It's not like people in Cali earn that much more either (median household income is just $60k).

Back on topic somewhat, but there has always been one big loop hole in atleast Oklahoma's sudafed law. It only registers the sale of sudafed under each ID used, and in ok you can get as many "state id cards" as you wish. I see people walk in thumb through 15 ID's and ask for the 24 hour sudafed and I walk to the back of the pharmacy (we moved out sudafed out of customer sight) and walk back and kindly say we're sold out and kindly repeat that motto for "the little red pills" and "you mean you got nuttin???" lol.

Needless to say, between the "new" method and the incompetence of congressional members, loop holes are always there to be abused

//edit
And as to the Oklahoma bashing, seriously? Grow up. One member of a population can't speak for its views just as one town/city/ whatever doesn't represent a state as a whole. Maturity people...
//edit