Ok, PLEASE HELP, i really need advice!!!:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i cant tell you

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing my third year of my undergrad and i have a big problem.

For the first two years of my undergrad, i was in a university-college, and was really motivated and thus, had a gpa of 3.88 (out of 4.33). I took it a bit slow, so i finished only my first year and few of my second year courses in college.

When i transferred to a full university, i was quite burnt out and i lost my motivation and started slacking, and thus, my gpa in university is very low. My average in university is 70%. I have a mix of C's, C+'s and B-'s in univesity, whereas in college, i had A-'s, A's and A+'s.

I am applying to dental school for the 2009 cycle and im very afraid of getting rejected. I am not sure what to do and need some advice.

I am currently volunteering for a pediatric dentist who lets me be his assistant, so thats a really good volunteering/shadowing experience that i plan to continue until i get into dental school.

What are my chances of getting in? I will be doing my DAT in november because here in canada, we only had the DAT twice a year.

Thank you all in advance and PLEASE PLEASE help me:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

To really let people tell you what your chances are, you need to put up some of your stats(gpa, DAT, etc). Have you taken DAT or are preparing for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, just caught this:

I am applying to dental school for the 2009 cycle…

I will be doing my DAT in november because here in canada, we only had the DAT twice a year.

If you are applying next cycle, I would see about taking that DAT earlier. A November test date will hurt, especially if your looking for an extra edge while applying.

See if you can slip down to the states and take the American DAT much earlier.

Overall COLLEGE GPA- 3.88 out of 4.33. Which is approximately 83-84%

Overall UNIVERSITY GPA- 3.0 out of 4.33. Which is 70%.

I have not done my DAT yet. I am going to prep for it starting July, and going to write it in November.

Been volunteering for a month now. I have about 19 hours of volunteering already, and will be volunteering 7 hours every week, until the time i get into dental school.

I will list the grades i have gotten for my classes in college and university:
College:
First year biology- 88% aka 4.0 out of 4.33
First year chemistry- 90% aka 4.33 out of 4.33
First year English- 70% aka 3.0 out of 4.33
First part of first year physics- 95% aka 4.33 out of 4.33. I will be taking the second part of first year physics this summer.
Calculus 1- 80% aka 3.67 out of 4.33
Cellular Biology- 95% aka 4.33 out of 4.33
Genetics- 80% aka 3.67 out of 4.33
Ecology part 1- 85% aka 4.0 out of 4.33

Organic chem- 69% aka 2.77 out of 4.33
Physical chem- 65% aka 2.77 out of 4.33
Ecology part 2- 63% aka 2.77 out of 4.33
Invertebrate biology- 47% aka FAIL aka 0.00 out of 4.33
Intro to physiology- 61% 2.0 out of 4.33
Statistics- 72% aka 3.0 out of 4.33
Microbiology- 70% aka 3.0 out of 4.33
Anthropology- 78% aka 3.33 out of 4.33
Biochem 1 and 2- 74% aka 3.0 out of 4.33
Vertebrate bio- 67% aka 2.77 out of 4.33
Earth and ocean science class- 80% aka 3.67 out of 4.33
Calc 2- 65% aka 2.77 out of 4.33
Psychology- 73% aka 3.00 out of 4.33
History class- 85% aka 4.0 out of 4.33

So as u can see, i have gotten good grades in my first year classes and some of my second year classes. Organic chem is weak and so is biochem.

Please help me with ANY advice:(

i don't get whats the difference between a college and university. are colleges easier?

retake the courses you failed in and start showing another uptrend. also, rock the DAT

i don't get whats the difference between a college and university. are colleges easier?

retake the courses you failed in and start showing another uptrend. also, rock the DAT

I'm thinking it's a Canadian thing.

if you are seriously considering american schools, the november DAT is going to be way too late. seriously consider taking the american DAT at an earlier time. most schools won't consider your application complete until they've received all of the application requirements (e.g. LOR's, DAT, secondary fees etc.) and having your application complete by december (once the scores are sent to the schools) is far too late.

Thank you all for replying.

Unfortunately, i cannot do the american DAT because of personal reasons, so i have to do the canadian DAT.

Do you think if i contacted the schools im applying to, would they make an exception and look over my application without the DAT scores submitted?

Im also going to be applying to canadian schools, so my application in canadian schools will not suffer as much by the december submission of my dat scores.

TempleDMDKrazd, a university-college is a college that offers some undergrad degrees. My college offers many commerce and arts bachelors degrees, but not science bachelors degrees.

I am surely in a pickle here with my DAT scores going to be submitted late, and my lower gpa after transferring to a full university.

Any more advice anyone can give me? Feel free, because any advice is gold to me, even if it may seem obvious.

I am trying hard this term and will be in the coming terms and hope to bring my gpa up again, and perhaps that will help my application, along with doing well on the DAT exam.

i'll be the 3rd (?) person to recommend taking the american dat as soon as you can. if you reside in toronto, there's a downtown location to take the american DAT, so you don't have to go to the states. check the ADA website to see other canadian locations if you live elsewhere.

Thanks wolfram, i will definitely look into that.

i'll be the 4rd (?) person to recommend taking the american dat late june/early july. make sure to also apply early, like in may.

if you dont feel prepare by that time you can always apply 2010 cycle. you dont have to apply 2009. this will also give you a chance to do well in your classes your fourth year and you will have plenty of time to study for dat.

edit: grammar error

Try and try again