Ok SDN, I need Advice!

AndrewHernandez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't even started college yet. I went to the Military after high school, 5 years ago and now I'm getting out in acouple of weeks, so much time wasted [kick myself in the butt]:(. I'll be returning to NYC after this tour in Afghanistan I'm currently wrapping up. [will be packing up in 2 weeks, as if i hadn't already;)]. I'm curious to know how to start off, I'm currently studying for the SAT's, my friend's first impression was the kind marathon runners have when they cross the finish line. Looking to aim for the 90 percentile, nothing's impossible to me, seems tuff, but definitely doable. Talk to me guys/gals, schools, curriculum's, scores, what needs to be done to get done. Thanks a bunch, this forum wrocks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

com'on SDN peeps, don't sleep on me nowwww

Hey! So I think the only reason no one is answering you is because you posted this in a section where you won't get answers because of the nature of your question... I mean, people in this thread are taking or have taken the SAT... But having people answer you that are already in college will give you better feedback. Maybe you should repost this/have this moved to the premedical allopathic thread for more answers...

As for my answer to your question... I didn't take the SAT. I went straight to a community college and bypassed it completely. I am glad I did this actually. I think the fact that you have been out of high school for so long may not be good if you start at a university level. Maybe you could do a year at a community college, get your feet wet, and then go to a university. If you did this, you would not have to take the SAT (if it is the same way now as it was almost 10 years ago when I started college). Then you just have to make a good GPA and apply to a university... That is just my opinion... Also, to think that you will get a score in the 90th percentile on ANY test with 5 years of no experience studying and having no classes is crazy to be honest... But that is just my opinion... :)

And I think the other part to your question is how to start now that you have been out for so long. Well... First figure out what school you want to go to... Then look up their admissions requirements and start working on those. Then apply and start. What do you want to do eventually? Med school and become a physician? Or something different that is health related?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely just try to start out at a Community College and completely bypass the SAT/ACT as well. You could probably find some four year colleges that you could get into without the SAT, since you have been out of school for so long, but I think it would be in your best interest to start at a CC, so that you can get back into the swing of things. Good luck!

If you've already been studying, I'd just go ahead and stay with your plan, record a score, and go to a state college. Go, GI Bill, go. Your freshman year should be pretty lax, so you'll have plenty of time to get adjusted to school again.

Thanks for your service and the sacrifices you've made. We all appreciate it more than we can convey.