Ok to assign letters that aren't "received" by AMCAS yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAnteater

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assigned letters in AMCAS to a school, but one of the letters is not "received" yet by AMCAS. I was wondering if AMCAS actually sends these letters to the schools, or if they are just made available for download by the schools. I'm just worried that the schools might assume I'm not sending the letter if the latter is true. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody else here might be able to elucidate how the program actually works from the admissions office side of things, but until then I can tell you that there is *some* sort of alert system for new letters going in. I'm not sure if it's like an email being flagged unread or something like that, but the schools you designated it for will get your letter once AMCAS receives it (although it may take a couple days).

lol yeah it seems to be a mystery how they actually operate. but i think if amcas let me assign an unreceived letter then its probably ok

Members don't see this ad :)
No, do not assign letters that haven't been received by AMCAS.

Why? Because if your letter writer, backs out... then you have to go through the process of telling them that they're no longer sending this reference etc.

Then you have to go through a long drawn out process of find another letter writer etc.

You're better off waiting until the letters are submitted, then you can do whatever you please with them.

If your letter is a guaranteed committee letter/packet, go ahead and enter/assign that.

From the AMCAS FAQ, it appears that you should enter the identifying data for all of your expected letters but that you don't have to assign them to schools before submission. The wording in the FAQ is a little confusing. Basically, it seems like you can go back into the system and assign new letters to schools you've already applied to once they've arrived.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/146562/letters_questions_landing_page.html