Okaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedEyez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know when OKAP scores come out? can we log-in to see score, or do they mail it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Usually around memorial day. My program director usually informed us.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe they will become mid-June. I think there's a delay (probably because of the NUMEROUS computer gliches)

This is ridiculous! Some graduating residents are meeting with their PD/chair for their final ¨interview¨ without scores! I don´t know how you guys feel but I am very displeased.

This is ridiculous! Some graduating residents are meeting with their PD/chair for their final ¨interview¨ without scores! I don´t know how you guys feel but I am very displeased.
maybe that's a good thing! haha.

I got single digits in several categories last year...so stuff that i sucked on like peds, i went up to a 60...and then stuff i was already ok at like cornea i went up to a 90. Optics didnt change much, but thats just something that ill never be good at

I guess that depends who you ask. But for me I say good score is anything above 50 percentile. Great score is above 80 percentile. But in the end okap is just another test. There is no correlation between okap and how great ophthalmologist you are.

If you're trying to use the okaps as guage for wether or not you will pass the boards, then a score above the 30% would be passing (barely).

There was a study not too long ago that correlated okaps to boards and found that 30% mark like msta said. I took that to mean if u were at 40 or better I'd feel comfortable.

Of course you have to figure there are some that won't study for okaps (me) and do for boards. That obviously changes things. My boards were over twice as high as my best okap

Anecdotally, my OKAPS were 70%, 55%, 55% 1st-3rd year with a decent amount of studying first and second year and no studying third year. I read Kanski once, and browsed through Chern a few times for written boards and ended up with a 75%. I think if you can consistently score near the 50th percentile all 3 years in residency, you should be good to pass with a decent amount of studying.​

Fairly pleased. Goal was to break 80th as a 1st year and I accomplished that. Weird, I read the BCSC for some subjects (Glaucoma, Path) and didn't do so well and didn't touch some of the others (Cornea, Peds) and did great. Plus, my worst subject was general medicine by far, strange considering I did fine on my steps and intern year. Ophthoquestions was fairly helpful in the things I had a baseline fund of knowledge but nothing was going to rescue my Uveitis or Optics scores. Plus my 'strengths' and 'weaknesses' on ophthoquestions did not correlate at all with my final result.