okay/bad interview but still got accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreams2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm feeling a little down because i recently had an interview at one of my dream schools and it was okay. just okay i feel; i made a few really good points here and there but i think it was counterbalanced by a couple blunders i made. idk if i'm underestimating how i did it but i'm beginning to doubt my chances. i really hope i get in because i love their program and can see myself being very happy there. i also don't want to go too far.

just need some words of wisdom from you guys. the interview process is eating away at me to the extent i'm having trouble focusing on schoolwork and feeling kind of empty :(

has anyone ever had a terrible/mediocre interview (according to how you personally felt about your performance) but landed an acceptance at that school??? or have that happen at multiple schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had good interviews for the most part except for one interview that I felt went very poorly. So poorly that I thought I blew my chances altogether at this school.

I went through a lot of work to be able to make it to my interview... I had to deal with all the trouble of flying across country last minute (arranging staff to work at the office in my place and rearranging other meetings that I had to attend) since there were no more interview slots left. I put a lot of effort into making my interview and barely was able to go. To walk away that interview day feeling I shot my chances was the worst... especially after all the effort I put into making it. I was very disappointed.

A few weeks later I read a letter welcoming me to their class of 2020.

Keep your head up. You never know how things will end up!

Reactions: 1 users
I had good interviews for the most part except for one interview that I felt went very poorly. So poorly that I thought I blew my chances altogether at this school.

I went through a lot of work to be able to make it to my interview... I had to deal with all the trouble of flying across country last minute (arranging staff to work at the office in my place and rearranging other meetings that I had to attend) since there were no more interview slots left. I put a lot of effort into making my interview and barely was able to go. To walk away that interview day feeling I shot my chances was the worst... especially after all the effort I put into making it. I was very disappointed.

A few weeks later I read a letter welcoming me to their class of 2020.

Keep your head up. You never know how things will end up!

Thank you so much for your response :) congrats on getting into that school! I'm so glad to hear that things worked out for you! Makes me feel like there may be hope for me too *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question I have is that should I send thank you notes to my interviewer and the admission directors who led the interview day? I am genuinely interested in the school and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to interview there. And especially since my interview was just okay (at least in my eyes), would sending thank you notes help my case?

Another question I have is that should I send thank you notes to my interviewer and the admission directors who led the interview day? I am genuinely interested in the school and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to interview there. And especially since my interview was just okay (at least in my eyes), would sending thank you notes help my case?

Yeah, it's a good idea. Some schools keep your letter in your file and will look at your file fully when they evaluate your candidacy for entry into their program post-interview. On top of that, it is courteous.

Yeah, it's a good idea. Some schools keep your letter in your file and will look at your file fully when they evaluate your candidacy for entry into their program post-interview. On top of that, it is courteous.

Thank you! I am trying to decide whether or not to email the thank you notes or send physical cards via mail; but the latter may take longer and I don't want them to get lost in the mail either. Do you think schools print out emails of correspondence such as this one potentially and place them in students' files?

I thought I did really bad at a school I was really interested in. I walked out of the interview room feeling awful. Dec 1, I got accepted. You really never know, and you can't do anything about it now, so just try not to worry.

Reactions: 1 user