okay, so this my plan B, but WHICH school?

Started by supernareg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

S

supernareg

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay, if i dont get into a US med school....


which CARRIBEAN medschool has clinicals and residency in the US? which are US accredited? which will NOT classify you as FMG?
 
sounds like you just discovered the caribbean route. i assume that since you said it's your plan B, you know that it's a sort of last resort. to get you started with some basics:

none are US (LCME) accredited. the LCME only accredits schools in the US.

all will classify you as FMG. if you graduate from a med school outside the US, you will be an FMG.

St. Georges University, Ross University, American University of the Caribbean, and SABA University are typically considered the best caribbean schools (and usually in that order, but they'll all get you where you want to be as long as you work hard). They all have clinical rotations in the US, and have pretty good residency matches in the US.

Look up the schools' websites and do a thread search here and on www.valuemd.com (a forum more dedicated to foreign schools) as there's tons of info out there if you just do a bit of research on your own. good luck!
 
sounds like you just discovered the caribbean route. i assume that since you said it's your plan B, you know that it's a sort of last resort. to get you started with some basics:

none are US (LCME) accredited. the LCME only accredits schools in the US.

all will classify you as FMG. if you graduate from a med school outside the US, you will be an FMG.

St. Georges University, Ross University, American University of the Caribbean, and SABA University are typically considered the best caribbean schools (and usually in that order, but they'll all get you where you want to be as long as you work hard). They all have clinical rotations in the US, and have pretty good residency matches in the US.

Look up the schools' websites and do a thread search here and on www.valuemd.com (a forum more dedicated to foreign schools) as there's tons of info out there if you just do a bit of research on your own. good luck!
My PERSONAL advice, SGU, no one can not dispute that is the best of the best in the carib. As good as that "BEST" is i guess, the only thing those who compare these schools can argue or debate is that the price tag on SGU and how high it is, but Ross and SABA can argue which school is better, same with AUC and others, but when SGU steps in i guess they all have to give the school its "props".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay, if i dont get into a US med school....


which CARRIBEAN medschool has clinicals and residency in the US? which are US accredited? which will NOT classify you as FMG?


Wow, I am amazed. You really have no clue what you are getting yourself into.
 
SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba

MUA, AUA or Sint Eustatius

Otherwise, forget the carib med school route. Best wishes!🙂
 
so if your a FMG.... what other tests, besides the USMLE's do u have to take to practice in the US?
 
i didn't go through this process, but i don't think there are any additional tests. just more paperwork. there used to be additional tests, but not anymore. someone please correct me if i'm wrong
 
Ross will get you off the island sooner. 16 months.

Not sure though.
 
Ross will get you off the island sooner. 16 months.

Not sure though.

That's what they say, but... I've met quite a few ppl on Dominica who stayed there for 24 months or even more. Some had to repeat a semester or evn two. If you still don't pass they'll give you a "boot" off the island and the school.
 
ross is better than SGU by a longshot trust me dont go to SGU
 
That's what they say, but... I've met quite a few ppl on Dominica who stayed there for 24 months or even more. Some had to repeat a semester or evn two. If you still don't pass they'll give you a "boot" off the island and the school.
yeh i know. I think they have a some-what high attrition rate for the carrib.
 
yeh i know. I think they have a some-what high attrition rate for the carrib.

The bottom 15-20% are thrawn over board or given a chance to re-take the whole semester (based on my info of 2004). If you fail 2 subjects they may not even offer you a promotion to the next semester. You also had to maintain 2.9 GPA to leave the island in 16 months. If GPA was lower you had to come back to Dominica to do so-called 5th semester BMSI. Then pass comp exam. If you f***ed it up they could still dismiss you 😱 after all this debt. But I would stay away from the looney-toon conspirocy theory proponents. You know ppl like to justify their failures. Medicine to begin with is not for eneryone. But couple it with living conditions on the volcanic
sh!+hole with constant tremors and some kicka$$ earthquakes (i.e 11/21/04 6.5 magnitude 😱 :scared: ) that I lived thru, not a whole a lot of what you'd call "acceptable" food, lots, and lots, and yes LOTS OF STRESS....and BOOOOOOM....those "F"s are popping up on ppl's transcripts. That's not to say that ppl don't make it at ROSS. In my class of 320 who started about 70 ppl were from the semester before. So there you go.
 
I hate to break it to you, but not attending a U.S school will classify you as an FMG 🙄 . There's no way around it. That's something you'll have to accept and be prepared for. There is a stigma attached to FMG's in general, especially Caribbean FMG's. But it is possible to overcome with hard work and determination. Medicine is NEVER easy, be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices..Nevertheless try and ace the USMLES and show those U.S. program directors and licensing boards just how much you want to practice medicine. 😀. Good luck with your decision. !

okay, if i dont get into a US med school....


which CARRIBEAN medschool has clinicals and residency in the US? which are US accredited? which will NOT classify you as FMG?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG not FMG, FMG are for non-citizens, and who cares if a person is "classified as an IMG or as you say FMG" its not going to say MD, FMG, its going to say MD period. more than 25% of docs in the US are FMGs and they making the same if not more than your US Educated docs!
 
I hate to break it to you, but not attending a U.S school will classify you as an FMG

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of us know.🙄

The probability of having a competitive residency is somewhat low for FMGs. Though not impossible.

Let it be US citz or otherwise.

One may assume that a US citizen will have it easier because of no immigration issues.
 
Ooo lets not get all huffy. I was simply responding to the original poster. 😛 . Correction: IMG, not FMG and let me exclude schools in PR and Canada of course. I did emphasize the "Caribbean", didn't i ?🙄 I never stated that is was impossible to attain a competitive residency either. If you read my post again, you'll see that all i'd said was that it takes a lot of hard work and determintation. I'm attending a medical school in the Caribbean myself, so i wasn't trying to be the least bit condescending or critical. 😀 Hope i cleared things up a little.. I agree with SabaMed an M.D. is an M.D. regardless of where it was attained. I'm just happy to have been given the opportunity!🙄


I hate to break it to you, but a lot of us know.🙄

The probability of having a competitive residency is somewhat low for FMGs. Though not impossible.

Let it be US citz or otherwise.

One may assume that a US citizen will have it easier because of no immigration issues.
 
I've been speaking with the admissions counselors of SGU and AUC. Between the two programs as well as reading posts here and on valuemd.com I feel like I've got a good picture to make a decision.

Based on the cost and upheaval of my family involved with going to the SGU or AUC, I am going to really try and blow up my MCAT in April and apply earlier to my Texas MD schools. If I can't get in for the next cycle I will definitely push hard for the Carib schools.

I almost pulled the trigger for applying for the May AUC or Fall SGU class, but I figure I need to do everything I can to be the best applicant at US programs first. I'd hate to go through the stigma (regardless of how easy/hard this is to overcome) of being a USFMG, when all I needed to do was improve my MCAT and apply earlier.

This is just to give you the thought process behind my approach to admissions. Only time will tell if it was the best choice. I think I will be a great physician regardless of the school I attend, but it's a matter of doing what is best for my family right now. Hope that helps.
 
Ooo lets not get all huffy. I was simply responding to the original poster. 😛 . Correction: IMG, not FMG and let me exclude schools in PR and Canada of course. I did emphasize the "Caribbean", didn't i ?🙄 I never stated that is was impossible to attain a competitive residency either. If you read my post again, you'll see that all i'd said was that it takes a lot of hard work and determintation. I'm attending a medical school in the Caribbean myself, so i wasn't trying to be the least bit condescending or critical. 😀 Hope i cleared things up a little.. I agree with SabaMed an M.D. is an M.D. regardless of where it was attained. I'm just happy to have been given the opportunity!🙄
I was joking.

Habeeb it.

I would read the post again, but the pink hurts my eyes. It wouldnt hurt if you could space too.

This is just to give you the thought process behind my approach to admissions. Only time will tell if it was the best choice. I think I will be a great physician regardless of the school I attend, but it's a matter of doing what is best for my family right now. Hope that helps.

Same here. Family first.

Also try out of state schools.
 
Oh, so it was a joke as of a couple of hours ago.. i guess i'll try to look for the amusement in your previous post then. 😕


I was joking.
Habeeb it.

I would read the post again, but the pink hurts my eyes. It wouldnt hurt if you could space too.

It wouldn't hurt to adjust your monitor either. 🙄

Same here. Family first.

Also try out of state schools.
 
okay, if i dont get into a US med school....


which CARRIBEAN medschool has clinicals and residency in the US? which are US accredited? which will NOT classify you as FMG?

Looks like this was answered but I want to sum it up:

No accredited but approved schools:
Big 4 best choice (there is no big 5 like some say) these schools have California hence all 50 states are possible
SGU,ROSS,AUC and SABA. you can do well from any of these. Many have gotten competative residencies with good step one scores, no extra tests for the FMG.

Rest of the schools (over 30) : they do not have California so you can never be Licensed in California if you go to one of these, but the good news is the other states like NY and FL approval is not for Licensure in those states just clinicals, Licensure is possible in all the other states ( many want to fight over this for some reason???)

Big 4 are ver safe option schools the rest varies
make sure the school is:
WHO Listed
Chartered
ECMFG / IMED
Has Loan programs
At least a number of grads in Residencies.

Without these, and especially the WHO, the school is no more than a Diploma mill.:luck:
 
I was thinking about this while studying, Agendas, please while you research keep in mind there are those who post who have agendas, Some are at odds with a school, some work for a school, some like to cause trouble. SOme who "Cheerlead" for the school because they want the school to grow and grow thinking it will make it better, There are those who post for fun ( like me, lonely in the caribbean) and try to be honest.

And lastly there are those who just post. Weed out the ones who do not seem to have any motivation to tell you what to do, in the end it is you who goes to school and you who suffers or succeeds. 😉
 
Oh, so it was a joke as of a couple of hours ago.. i guess i'll try to look for the amusement in your previous post then.

Yes. Yes that was a joke (from what I remember anyways.)

Habeeb it.

No accredited but approved schools:
Big 4 best choice (there is no big 5 like some say) these schools have California hence all 50 states are possible
SGU,ROSS,AUC and SABA. you can do well from any of these. Many have gotten competative residencies with good step one scores, no extra tests for the FMG.

Rest of the schools (over 30) : they do not have California so you can never be Licensed in California if you go to one of these, but the good news is the other states like NY and FL approval is not for Licensure in those states just clinicals, Licensure is possible in all the other states ( many want to fight over this for some reason???)

Big 4 are ver safe option schools the rest varies
make sure the school is:
WHO Listed
Chartered
ECMFG / IMED
Has Loan programs
At least a number of grads in Residencies.

Without these, and especially the WHO, the school is no more than a Diploma mill.

Sounds good.
 
so to clarify, you MAY work in the state of CA (my home state) if you graduated with MD from ROSS, SGU, and SABA?

so far i'm looking into SABA.... good price, as SGU is almost double, and i've generally read good things about it.

how is ROSS and their price?
 
These sort of things change so it is really the best idea to either check each respective school's website or give the school a call to find your answers.
 
so to clarify, you MAY work in the state of CA (my home state) if you graduated with MD from ROSS, SGU, and SABA?

so far i'm looking into SABA.... good price, as SGU is almost double, and i've generally read good things about it.

how is ROSS and their price?
Take a lookie at the Cali web site

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Recognized.htm#E

You could also ask them regarding other informations that you have regarding licensure.

Habeeb it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These sort of things change so it is really the best idea to either check each respective school's website or give the school a call to find your answers.
I disagree-contact the state that regulates that stuff.
 
so to clarify, you MAY work in the state of CA (my home state) if you graduated with MD from ROSS, SGU, and SABA?

so far i'm looking into SABA.... good price, as SGU is almost double, and i've generally read good things about it.

how is ROSS and their price?

Yes You are right. any of those 4 are good schools and have California approval.

To the other poster, it doesn't change, it hasn't changed for years, California has not approved a new school for some time from the Caribbean, SABA was the last one so far.

:luck:
 
So, let me get this straight. The order in which the big 4 are ranked (From highest to lowest) is as follows?

SGU
Ross
AUC
SABA

If this is it or not, what are the rankings based on?
 
I need to check on this again, but I believe TX doesn't recognize SABA on their "equivalency" list in the way it does recognize SGU, AUC, and UAG. I'll see if I can pull up the file again.
 
I need to check on this again, but I believe TX doesn't recognize SABA on their "equivalency" list in the way it does recognize SGU, AUC, and UAG. I'll see if I can pull up the file again.
TX does not have to recognize a school to practice in Texas, it has to be WHO listed I read the laws and rules for Texas some time ago and St. James has a grad in Texas, no not on the list for approved or unapproved, the list os for clinicals in the state not for a Lic, the only state in all 50 US states who has a list of r a Lic, to practice is California. To be safe go to the Big 4 ROSS is the best Caribbean school for Texas.
 
That's what they say, but... I've met quite a few ppl on Dominica who stayed there for 24 months or even more. Some had to repeat a semester or evn two. If you still don't pass they'll give you a "boot" off the island and the school.

Well, the previous poster just said Ross will get you off the island sooner, he didnt say how, :laugh: so getting booted off sooner and back in the US in 4 months qualifies as sooner i guess:laugh: j/k...