Okay to mention proper names in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgeomally

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with saying names of doctors or people when you mention them in your personal statement? Or is just better to say Dr. J, student X, etc. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

to be cautious about hipaa and things like that, I decided to just go with Mr. O, who was a patient. With doctors, I dont think if it matters that you use their name (for a good purpose).

I think unless its a patient it's ok to use a real name, especially if you're not describing them in an unfavorable light

Members don't see this ad :)
here's what i did (and i hope it's ok!!): used dr's full names, since both i talked about were the "good guys," used the patient's first name.

I really prefer to read an essay that uses doctors' full last names rather than initials...it makes for a much easier and more personal read. Make sure that you check with the doc if you think he or she might be uncomfortable with it, though. Most won't mind being talked about in an essay, especially if they played an influential role in your decision to attend medical school! Obviously, when talking about patients, stick with either first names or last initials.

Or include: names have been changed to protect the innocent at the end

:smuggrin:

You could always make up cool fake Dr. names like Dr. J/Dr. Pepper and Dr. No

I once read an essay that mentioned my own brother by name (as the epitome of a good doctor). That was a nice. :)

A colleague read an application from our local area. The applicant had volunteered at a facility for disabled which was identified in his list of ECs. His motivation for medicine included his interaction with a boy at the facility whom he mentioned by name in his PS. It was the adcom member's son -- who had died just a few weeks earlier. My colleague asked to have someone else evaluate the application -- then she had a good cry.