Okay to wear jeans on this rotation?

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm on a rotation in a big LTC pharmacy. 95% of the pharmacists I work with wear jeans, and 100% of the techs/billing/secretaries, etc wear jeans.

Now my preceptor wears a suit, but that's just because he's like a VP here. We rarely work with him or see him though. There is zero patient/customer interaction in this place. Orders come in via phone/fax/computer from the doctor's office to us, we make it, and ship it off to the nursing homes.

Alright for me to wear jeans or no?
 
So I'm on a rotation in a big LTC pharmacy. 95% of the pharmacists I work with wear jeans, and 100% of the techs/billing/secretaries, etc wear jeans.

Now my preceptor wears a suit, but that's just because he's like a VP here. We rarely work with him or see him though. There is zero patient/customer interaction in this place. Orders come in via phone/fax/computer from the doctor's office to us, we make it, and ship it off to the nursing homes.

Alright for me to wear jeans or no?

Sure, I would say it is perfectly fine, but what I think and what everyone else on this board thinks does not matter. What matters is what your preceptor says on the matter.

The most logical course of action would be to ask your preceptor if he is okay with jeans. Why beat around the bush, go right to the source. You are an odd duck there is no beating around the bush when it comes to that. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I think your preceptor is the roman in this situation, so no, not ok. If it's that painful to have to wear a shirt and tie, then ask him if you can wear jeans. Err on the side of formality. Always. It shows respect for the site.
 
Well, I think your preceptor is the roman in this situation, so no, not ok. If it's that painful to have to wear a shirt and tie, then ask him if you can wear jeans. Err on the side of formality. Always. It shows respect for the site.

I do wear a shirt and a tie, and I like wearing a shirt and a tie, it's just dress pants/khakis that I can't stand.
 
I would not do it without asking the preceptor. I know students who got docked professionalism points for inappropriate dress on rotation.

EDIT: If you've already started the rotation, and your preceptor has seen you wearing shirt, tie, and khakis and hasn't said, "Oh hey, dude... we wear jeans here," I think it's safe to assume he wants you to dress professionally. IMO.
 
Your school probably has a dress code laid out in the rotation manual. If I were to deviate from that, I would check with the preceptor before doing so. He might not care, but at the same time he may. I would say it is not okay, unless you are told otherwise by your preceptor. It is just a stupid reason to get docked on your rotation evaluation.
 
Your school probably has a dress code laid out in the rotation manual. If I were to deviate from that, I would check with the preceptor before doing so. He might not care, but at the same time he may. I would say it is not okay, unless you are told otherwise by your preceptor. It is just a stupid reason to get docked on your rotation evaluation.

Yeah, if by some off chance the school admins decide to pay us a visit, then it might not be good. I was at a site last semester that was a public health site, part of the assignments were to interview some rather shady people so for that rotation we were told explicitly before we started to NOT wear professional clothes so the clients don't mistake us for law enforcement.
 
Your school probably has a dress code laid out in the rotation manual. If I were to deviate from that, I would check with the preceptor before doing so. He might not care, but at the same time he may. I would say it is not okay, unless you are told otherwise by your preceptor. It is just a stupid reason to get docked on your rotation evaluation.

Just thought of this. My school has a very strict dress code and jeans are never permitted. I think even if a preceptor allowed students to wear jeans, the students could still get in trouble if someone from the school was visiting and saw it. It sucks, but it is what it is.
 
I say dress as least business casual unless someone specifically tells you not to. There's the old interview axiom - it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. And your rotations can be thought of as extended interview sessions 🙂

One of the students in the class above mine showed up on the first day of one of his hospital rotations in jeans and a t-shirt. He was escorted out by security 😱
 
Just thought of this. My school has a very strict dress code and jeans are never permitted. I think even if a preceptor allowed students to wear jeans, the students could still get in trouble if someone from the school was visiting and saw it. It sucks, but it is what it is.

i love how OBSESSED pharmacy is with professional dress. many physicians i work with wear jeans, white socks, sneakers etc. pharmacy world is way too focused on things that aren't that big of a deal.
 
cowboy boots, black socks, cut-off jean shorts and a white v-neck undershirt with sweat stains and the sleeves ripped off. Extra style points for the cruddiest trucker hat you can find.

Seriously though, shirt, tie, slacks. Deal with it. If you get a job with them, you can wear what you want.
 
i love how OBSESSED pharmacy is with professional dress. many physicians i work with wear jeans, white socks, sneakers etc. pharmacy world is way too focused on things that aren't that big of a deal.

:shrug:

My husband is a manager for a large company and he wears professional dress every day. When I go to see my portfolio manager or my attorney, they always wear suits.

None of my physicians wear jeans in the office. Some wear scrubs if they are surgeons and seeing patients in between surgeries. I've also never seen a physician at the VA in anything but professional dress or scrubs and I've worked there almost five years.

Maybe it's a regional thing? At any rate, professional dress (or at least business casual) seems to be the going attire for the majority of the professional working world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do wear a shirt and a tie, and I like wearing a shirt and a tie, it's just dress pants/khakis that I can't stand.
So take the best of both worlds: shirt, tie, jeans. For some added class, throw on a denim jacket for the full canadian tuxedo.
 
:shrug:

My husband is a manager for a large company and he wears professional dress every day. When I go to see my portfolio manager or my attorney, they always wear suits.

None of my physicians wear jeans in the office. Some wear scrubs if they are surgeons and seeing patients in between surgeries. I've also never seen a physician at the VA in anything but professional dress or scrubs and I've worked there almost five years.

Maybe it's a regional thing? At any rate, professional dress (or at least business casual) seems to be the going attire for the majority of the professional working world.

Tope is just obsessed with dogging pharmacy whenever possible. 🙄
 
Personally, I'd rather wear slacks than jeans any day. My slacks are sooo comfy and jeans just get hot and bothersome. I'd rather forego the shirt/tie and just wear a nice polo with my slacks. In answer to the question, I had one rotation where I was required to wear scrubs every day. It was a massive compounding pharmacy and most of my time was spent doing the actual compounding so it was the only way I could get away with wearing something that was not school dress code. In our school, unless the site specifically stated that we had to wear something else, it was shirt and tie err'day.
 
We have had some serious resurrection of threads lately.... New people need to pay attention to dates when they are reading through the archives.
Sometimes it's fun to relive the past.

Holy ****, this was P3 year for me, lol. This was a fun rotation actually.
...and see how much some people have developed professionally. :meanie: