Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OSUdoc08 said:
If the individual really wanted to go there, then they would not give up and go somewhere else.

They are simply filtering out people who don't really want to go there.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

Even if you do accept somewhere else, you can always change your mind and go there anyway, so it isn't a big deal, really.

I think that's maybe oversimplifying. An early acceptance is a really powerful thing psychologically for some people. In a process that's pretty rough, a little positive feedback goes a long way.

They get a fine class anyway, I just think it's pretty dumb to do it differently than most schools, mainly because it's a pain in my ass.

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
I think that's maybe oversimplifying. An early acceptance is a really powerful thing psychologically for some people. In a process that's pretty rough, a little positive feedback goes a long way.

They get a fine class anyway, I just think it's pretty dumb to do it differently than most schools, mainly because it's a pain in my ass.

so true about the psychological power of any early acceptance. right now, i'm looking for all sorts of reasons to think kcumb is the best school ever since i know they like me and that i can go there.

oklahoma schools know this to be true, too. apparently, osucom used to jump in and accept people substantially earlier than ou, and ou did lose students because of this. anecdotally, i know of people who withdrew their applications for ou basically just because they were already in at osucom (and, no, they weren't particularly hyped about the osteopathic medicine thing and didn't show a strong preference to osucom over ou). i could be totally wrong, but i believe that's why ou switched to accepting people soon after their interviews.

i guess the instate tuition incentives are enough to overcome the psychological obstacle of being late in the game. of course, compared with ohsu, the oklahoma schools look dowinright fast.

exlawgrrl said:
so true about the psychological power of any early acceptance. right now, i'm looking for all sorts of reasons to think kcumb is the best school ever since i know they like me and that i can go there.

oklahoma schools know this to be true, too. apparently, osucom used to jump in and accept people substantially earlier than ou, and ou did lose students because of this. anecdotally, i know of people who withdrew their applications for ou basically just because they were already in at osucom (and, no, they weren't particularly hyped about the osteopathic medicine thing and didn't show a strong preference to osucom over ou). i could be totally wrong, but i believe that's why ou switched to accepting people soon after their interviews.

i guess the instate tuition incentives are enough to overcome the psychological obstacle of being late in the game. of course, compared with ohsu, the oklahoma schools look dowinright fast.

Now that we are bring this up, OSU-COM made a change in the other direction for some reason this year. They started interviews in October last year, but have delayed until November this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OU offer its first round of interviews on November 1st exactly...Do they offer by email or what? I am getting so anxious.

kaykay73 said:
Does OU offer its first round of interviews on November 1st exactly...Do they offer by email or what? I am getting so anxious.

I got the impression that they don't really even start reviewing until Nov. 1, but I could be totally wrong. Someone earlier on this thread said people should expect to hear around Thanksgiving.

They start interviews right at the start of December, so they have to send out invites at least a couple weeks in advance. It's been awhile, but if I remember right I got a letter (not email) a couple weeks into November, so around Thanksgiving is probably fairly accurate.

We don't know the exact dates yet for the interviews. There will be 270 slots spread over 10 days of interviewing. I think that works out to 4 days in December, 3 in January, and 3 in February.

Several of us will be involved in giving tours to the interviewees on the day you're here, so we'll let you know the exact dates as soon as we find out.

As far as why OU is so far "behind"... *shrug* OU used to have an early admissions program, but they scrapped it because there were never enough applicants to warrant getting the people together to review applications. I got that from one of the OU pre-med advisors 2+ years ago, though, so who knows how credible it is.

The deadline for secondary applications was October 15th. They have two weeks of lag time for things that inevitably get sent in late. On November 1st they'll get together and start sorting for interviews. If you're in the December of January interview slots, you should know if you've got an interview by the time you go home for Thanksgiving.

As far as the timeline in general is concerned, people need to keep in mind that the general crowd and mindset of SDN is not representative of the medical school admissions procedure. Sure there are schools that have formal and informal "early" admissions programs, but those are more an exception than the rule. It's a long process, and there's a reason you have until April 15th to make a final decision. :p

Edit: I take back some of that. I was working off information from last year and hadn't looked at this year's timeline. ;) Correcting... Interviews in November, December, and January, and the secondary application deadline isn't until November 1st. I apologize for giving conflicting information. Dates have taken a backseat to mastering intimate details of metabolism as well as the anatomy of everything below the diaphragm. :eek:

Amxcvbcv said:
We don't know the exact dates yet for the interviews. There will be 270 slots spread over 10 days of interviewing. I think that works out to 4 days in December, 3 in January, and 3 in February.

Several of us will be involved in giving tours to the interviewees on the day you're here, so we'll let you know the exact dates as soon as we find out.

As far as why OU is so far "behind"... *shrug* OU used to have an early admissions program, but they scrapped it because there were never enough applicants to warrant getting the people together to review applications. I got that from one of the OU pre-med advisors 2+ years ago, though, so who knows how credible it is.

The deadline for secondary applications was October 15th. They have two weeks of lag time for things that inevitably get sent in late. On November 1st they'll get together and start sorting for interviews. If you're in the December of January interview slots, you should know if you've got an interview by the time you go home for Thanksgiving.

As far as the timeline in general is concerned, people need to keep in mind that the general crowd and mindset of SDN is not representative of the medical school admissions procedure. Sure there are schools that have formal and informal "early" admissions programs, but those are more an exception than the rule. It's a long process, and there's a reason you have until April 15th to make a final decision. :p

so is it correct that they won't let you reschedule interviews? i saw something to that effect on their website. i already have an interview scheduled for dec. 2 at another school, so dec. 1 and 2 are out. also, dec. 5 is out for me because i have a final that night that absolutely cannot be rescheduled. since there's so late in the game, i think they should offer some flexibility with rescheduling.

exlawgrrl said:
so is it correct that they won't let you reschedule interviews? i saw something to that effect on their website. i already have an interview scheduled for dec. 2 at another school, so dec. 1 and 2 are out. also, dec. 5 is out for me because i have a final that night that absolutely cannot be rescheduled. since there's so late in the game, i think they should offer some flexibility with rescheduling.

First of all I'd say wait and see if it's a problem, but since you are so constricted in your schedule it might not hurt to send them an e-mail, so they'll know about your concerns. All of the women in the admissions office are very nice and friendly. I don't think it would be a problem, but that's just me. :p

exlawgrrl said:

exlaw, if you get an interview in one of the earlier dates it would probably be a bad idea to reschedule for a later date. i say that because such a large percentage of the class comes from the first half of the interview dates. a person i know familiar with the admissions process specifically mentioned that.

Amxcvbcv said:
First of all I'd say wait and see if it's a problem, but since you are so constricted in your schedule it might not hurt to send them an e-mail, so they'll know about your concerns. All of the women in the admissions office are very nice and friendly. I don't think it would be a problem, but that's just me. :p

they do seem nice -- of course, oklahomans are generally nice, right. :) you're right, i should wait.

glp, see that's the dilemma, if i do get to interview at the very front, i want that advantage, but i'm sort of stuck on all of those dates. oh yeah, dec. 6 is also out because my final's at night, and there's no way i could get to okc the next day in time for an interview. argh, i shouldn't worry about it yet.

exlawgrrl said:
glp, see that's the dilemma, if i do get to interview at the very front, i want that advantage, but i'm sort of stuck on all of those dates. oh yeah, dec. 6 is also out because my final's at night, and there's no way i could get to okc the next day in time for an interview. argh, i shouldn't worry about it yet.

ya, im sure it will work out. plus, you have the luxury of already having an acceptance, so i guess i wont lose too much sleep tonight worrying for you. :)

glp said:
ya, im sure it will work out. plus, you have the luxury of already having an acceptance, so i guess i wont lose too much sleep tonight worrying for you. :)

yep, i'm being neurotic. is the dog in the avatar yours? he/she is adorable. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
they do seem nice -- of course, oklahomans are generally nice, right. :) you're right, i should wait.

I wouldn't worry too much about when you get an interview. Interviewing toward the front isn't going to affect your outcome, in my opinion. While interviewing early makes sense from a statistical point of view, it doesn't matter from an individual point of view. Think of it this way: a jerk is still going to be a jerk whether he's the first person or the last. The interview is just your foot in the door. The impression you make once you're there is the important part. They're just as likely to reject the unbalanced, naive applicant at the December/November interview as they are to accept the confident, well-rounded applicant that interviews on the last day of February.

Speak honestly and truthfully about who you are, and if you're meant to be a doctor you'll get in, even if it doesn't happen to be this year. :D

Since OU interviews begin later in the season (relatively speaking) does that mean that taking the MCAT in August has no bearing on when you are interviewed? I assume the point system established to rank interviews is compiled after August MCAT scores are reported.

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Doc Holliday said:
Since OU interviews begin later in the season (relatively speaking) does that mean that taking the MCAT in August has no bearing on when you are interviewed? I assume the point system established to rank interviews is compiled after August MCAT scores are reported.

I believe that is correct - somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Doc Holliday said:

that is correct. doesnt make a bit of difference at OU.

exlawgrrl said:
is the dog in the avatar yours? he/she is adorable. :)

the pic is of harry, he was one of our house dogs in college. he was the $hit but he had a nasty addiction to the tennis ball.

You guys probably already know this, but I just found out - OU is doing interview invites by email, so make sure you have your email address up to date with them. I don't think they're sending out letters, so if they have an old email address, you may be waiting a long time for an invite.

(disclaimer: I'm not on the "inside" of the app/interview process, so I offer no 100% guarantees on anything I tell you ;) )

Antigunner said:
You guys probably already know this, but I just found out - OU is doing interview invites by email, so make sure you have your email address up to date with them. I don't think they're sending out letters, so if they have an old email address, you may be waiting a long time for an invite.

(disclaimer: I'm not on the "inside" of the app/interview process, so I offer no 100% guarantees on anything I tell you ;) )

Neato! That way if I get an interview (knock on wood), I don't have to wait for the stupid letter to make it from OK to OR. That's very progressive of them.

exlawgrrl said:
Neato! That way if I get an interview (knock on wood), I don't have to wait for the stupid letter to make it from OK to OR. That's very progressive of them.

What part of Oregon do you live in?

exlawgrrl said:
The only part, Portland. :) j/k, but sometimes you do get the notion that all of Oregon is Portland. It's very cool.

I'm originally from Bend.

oudoc08 said:
I'm originally from Bend.

I love Bend. We just went there last weekend, and it was so beautiful. The leaves were changing, it was sunny and about 70 degrees. We actually wouldn't mind moving to Bend once I'm done with everything. Do you have any plans on going back. I'm sure it's changed a lot since you lived there.

I just wanted to give a little hope to those procrastinators out there... I turned in my application I think 2 weeks before it was due, the secondary a week before it was due, had the second to last interview date and still got in without being waitlisted. My scores and GPA were average.
And currently I am procrastinating studying for our test block that starts in 4 days. AAHHHH! :eek:
Good luck to everyone going through interviews and the application process. It is long and arduous but worth it (i think?)

exlawgrrl said:
I love Bend. We just went there last weekend, and it was so beautiful. The leaves were changing, it was sunny and about 70 degrees. We actually wouldn't mind moving to Bend once I'm done with everything. Do you have any plans on going back. I'm sure it's changed a lot since you lived there.

From a outdoor point of view, I don't think there would be many places nicer to live than central Oregon, but I don't have any plans on going back, mainly due to the political climate and cost of living. We moved to the midwest in 1990 when I was 14, and though it has some definite negatives, the people are great, and if you need some scenery, New Mex, or Colorado's within a day's drive for a quick vacation. Besides, when you see the nice views everyday, you start taking them for granted. Also, I still have family and friends in Bend that wouldn't be able to afford to live there had they not owned the same piece of property forever. Mt. Bachelor does rock though (I love to ski).

Bend = "Poverty with a view" :)

November 1st is TOMORROW!!!!

kaykay73 said:
November 1st is TOMORROW!!!!

And I sincerely wish everyone the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can only hope to be up to my eyeballs in that next year....i wonder when they will start emailing interview invites

kaykay73 said:
i can only hope to be up to my eyeballs in that next year....i wonder when they will start emailing interview invites

the first interview invites will be sent out tonight via email at 12:01 a.m.

just kidding.

since the first interviews are sometime in late november, i am thinking the latest they would send out invites is 2 weeks prior. so hopefully we will hear something before the 15th. i am trying not to get too stressed out. just think how much more stressful the 2-3 weeks post-interview will be. :eek:

HAA glp..you seriously had me with that first line for a second.. didnt you interview at UTH last week? what did you think?? i interviewed two weeks ago and liked it a lot. i was suprised to even get an interview as an OOS app with average stats. waiting for an acceptance/rejection is killing me since i know it might be anytime from now to feb 1st...miserable. let me know when you hear from OU...are you a tex res or ok res?

kaykay73 said:
HAA glp..you seriously had me with that first line for a second.. didnt you interview at UTH last week? what did you think?? i interviewed two weeks ago and liked it a lot. i was suprised to even get an interview as an OOS app with average stats. waiting for an acceptance/rejection is killing me since i know it might be anytime from now to feb 1st...miserable. let me know when you hear from OU...are you a tex res or ok res?

im an okie. applied to a bunch of tx schools for variety. houston was pretty great. really i dont think there is much difference amongst the schools i applied to as far as ms1 and ms2 but the tmc would be an amazing place to do 3 and 4. from what i gather, the admissions committee at ut-houston meets every tues, but your app doesnt necessarily get reviewed the tuesday after you interview. i agree it is nerve racking to not know when you might hear something. the anticipation never ends. i check my email (for interview invites) and snail mail (for rejections/acceptances) compulsively.

What happens Nov 1? They start looking at our applications?

they havent even started reviewing our apps until tomorrow. so no one has received interviews yet...so starting tomorrow i can check my email on an even more regular basis.

glp...thats how i feel...i thought houston was awesome..im an okie but went to school at Mizzou...i was surprised how nice the area that UTH was located in....normally i feel like the med schools in huge cities are in such crappy areas. i def wouldnt mind going there....your stats are way better tahn mine so let me know if when you hear from houston cuz i am SURE you will hear first!

i'm curious. do they review them in the order in which they were complete, just randomly or based on something like numbers?

yep, i think the first people hearing around nov. 15 sounds right. for oos people like me -- last year they interviewed 31 oos people and accepted 27. i don't know what to think about that since they interview such a small group of the oos applicants. are they basing the interview invitations primarily on ties to oklahoma or on excellent numbers? oh well, i guess we'll see. i feel ike i should get an invitation based on the fact that i really am an oklahoman, just not a resident, and that my numbers are higher than their numbers yet by no means spectacular. but, i could be wrong.

glp said:
the first interview invites will be sent out tonight via email at 12:01 a.m.

just kidding.

since the first interviews are sometime in late november, i am thinking the latest they would send out invites is 2 weeks prior. so hopefully we will hear something before the 15th. i am trying not to get too stressed out. just think how much more stressful the 2-3 weeks post-interview will be. :eek:

You shouldn't have to wait that long after the interview. I think most people got a letter within a week. OU's nothing if not prompt in their acceptance/rejection letters. :p

exlawgrrl said:
i'm curious. do they review them in the order in which they were complete, just randomly or based on something like numbers?

yep, i think the first people hearing around nov. 15 sounds right. for oos people like me -- last year they interviewed 31 oos people and accepted 27. i don't know what to think about that since they interview such a small group of the oos applicants. are they basing the interview invitations primarily on ties to oklahoma or on excellent numbers? oh well, i guess we'll see. i feel ike i should get an invitation based on the fact that i really am an oklahoman, just not a resident, and that my numbers are higher than their numbers yet by no means spectacular. but, i could be wrong.

I believe they only give interviews to the ridiculously-good-looking out of state applicants. Oh wait, nevermind... :laugh:

p.s. I was talking about me, not implying anything about this years OOS applicants - thought I better clarify

...who make "theirs" with Splenda :laugh:

Antigunner said:
I believe they only give interviews to the ridiculously-good-looking out of state applicants. Oh wait, nevermind... :laugh:

p.s. I was talking about me, not implying anything about this years OOS applicants - thought I better clarify

DMBFan61 said:
...who make "theirs" with Splenda :laugh:

Soooo funny...but don't be going around posting my quote!!! :D

speedo542 said:
Soooo funny...but don't be going around posting my quote!!! :D

That was yesterday... the new quote is, "Suck it, Trebek!"

Although I will admit yours is kind of... burned... into my memory. ;)

...burned into memory....that and old people getting it on for the camera... :scared:

Amxcvbcv said:
That was yesterday... the new quote is, "Suck it, Trebek!"

Although I will admit yours is kind of... burned... into my memory. ;)

I wish they'd post the HB key, so I could start relaxing on this glorious three-day weekend.

Although my thoughts will continue to be with the second years and tomorrow's dreaded IHI exam. :scared:

Medical School rocks. :D

I wish I could switch my Biochem and Anatomy grades for my Human Behavior and Embryo grades. :p

Time for some well-earned relaxation.

Have any of you guys heard about interviews yet? Have you interviewed/applied to other schools or are you die hard Sooners? :D

I havent heard from OU yet. I have been checking my email incessantly...i think my boss is starting to get annoyed. I have had an interview at UT-Houston and I have one at Mizzou scheduled for Nov 15th (went there for undergrad and am working here now as lab tech). I applied to about 10 schools...rejected from 2...2 interviews..and lots of silence from the others.

So I was talking to the Pre-Med office here in norman and they told me that normally the interview invites went out based on "the formula". But last year it seemed to be based off MCAT only. Has anyone heard if this year's interview invites will be based on just MCAT or MCAT and GPA?

Amxcvbcv said:
I wish I could switch my Biochem and Anatomy grades for my Human Behavior and Embryo grades. :p

Time for some well-earned relaxation.

Have any of you guys heard about interviews yet? Have you interviewed/applied to other schools or are you die hard Sooners? :D

i know you guys have your own allo thread. stop hijacking our thread with your inside jokes. :D

OU is definitely one of my top choices, but i am not one to put all my eggs in one basket, so i applied to several schools.

I was one of those to put all my eggs in a basket. Thank god it panned out. OU was the only place I wanted to go (and really could since my hubby goes to OU Law), so I was willing to wait and reapply if things didn't work out. But they did!!! :)

As for the formula, I thought that was what they went with. I am not sure about the rumor that they just went with the MCAT last year, but I haven't heard anything either way. I don't think that is true, though. I interviewed at a nice time, and my MCAT wasn't sky high, but my GPA was. So I really think they went with the formula.

But to those of you who are unsure of your top choices, OU is great. Yeah, yeah, it is where I go, but it really does have some great perks. Oklahoma has a cheap cost of living, our professors are awesome, and our online resources rock. Plus, even though we are med students now, the professors really want us to succeed and do well. They go out of their way to help us, not just stick it to us. I wonder how many other schools have anatomy professors who have used their Saturdays for like the past 4-5 weeks to come and help students go over the body?

Status
Not open for further replies.