Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amxcvbcv

Radiologist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you stressed out med school applicants.

Post here if you're applying to and want to go to OU's medical school. Me and several of my current classmates got lots of good information from some now MS2 students here, and I (I'm sure it's we, actually) would like to continue the favor.

OU's a great place to be! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is preference given to in-state students?

medstu2006 said:

a max of 15% of the 150 spots can be non-residents. i believe the actual percentage of non-residents is lower though.

i have sumbitted my primary to OU. i currently live in norman and will be attending at meet and greet they are having here on tues. im not even sure what to ask at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
medstu2006 said:

Glp already answered the question, but yes, OU preferentially selects in-state applicants.

Furthermore, if you're an out-of-state applicant it's preferred that you have a connection with the state.

Oh, and just for the record, our class size is 160 this year.

Amxcvbcv said:
Oh, and just for the record, our class size is 160 this year.

when did they add spots?

So I have a question for the OU guys and gals.

I am offically an out-of-state student. However, I grew up in Tulsa and lived there for about 20 years. I gaduated from Jenks High School and went out of state for my undergraduate degree. My parents moved from the state when I was attending my university.

So here is my concern, I really would like to get an interview from OU. Does anyone recommend I could contact at OU to further explain my situation?

vir0n said:
So I have a question for the OU guys and gals.

I am offically an out-of-state student. However, I grew up in Tulsa and lived there for about 20 years. I gaduated from Jenks High School and went out of state for my undergraduate degree. My parents moved from the state when I was attending my university.

So here is my concern, I really would like to get an interview from OU. Does anyone recommend I could contact at OU to further explain my situation?

i know OU doesnt have an official secondary, but on the website it asks for out of state applicants to detail any connection to the state of oklahoma. i would definitely detail your story then. what is you current state of residence and are you still in college?

If you are currently not an Oklahoma resident, one of the things they ask for in the "secondary" is a letter describing your connections to Oklahoma.

The information on the OUHSC College of Medicine web site is accurate, as far as I can tell.

Glp, I think our class was the first one with the increased enrollment. The Class of 2008 currently has 145. I know they lost a couple to attrition, but I really don't think they're down from 160.

glp said:
when did they add spots?

The way I understand it is that only about 5 or so new spots were added.
I think that formerly the new admitted students totaled about 150, and about five spots were added for the class of 2009 and about 5 or 6 people had to
repeat 1st year making the total number = 160.

Still have one LOR to get in, but other than that should be good to go. Pretty much putting all my eggs into one basket, but OU is basically the only school I want to go to. Which pains me to admit, being a Cowboy and all...

But my family (which will be one heavy by the time school starts and the Pregosaurus hatches) support system is all here and I can't picture going out of state. At least not for another four years.

Is the noteservice all it's cracked up to be?

Is there anything you wish you'd brushed up on prior to starting? I'd planned on some sabbatical, writing my memoirs sort of trek, but if there were something that'd be more productive...

They don't even look at apps until 1 Nov, right?

Thanks for the help.

Mr. Freeze said:
Still have one LOR to get in, but other than that should be good to go. Pretty much putting all my eggs into one basket, but OU is basically the only school I want to go to. Which pains me to admit, being a Cowboy and all....

freeze, are you not applying anywhere but OU?

Mr. Freeze said:
Still have one LOR to get in, but other than that should be good to go. Pretty much putting all my eggs into one basket, but OU is basically the only school I want to go to. Which pains me to admit, being a Cowboy and all...

But my family (which will be one heavy by the time school starts and the Pregosaurus hatches) support system is all here and I can't picture going out of state. At least not for another four years.

Is the noteservice all it's cracked up to be?

Is there anything you wish you'd brushed up on prior to starting? I'd planned on some sabbatical, writing my memoirs sort of trek, but if there were something that'd be more productive...

They don't even look at apps until 1 Nov, right?

Thanks for the help.

Freeze, I noticed that you are a "trauma junkie" and a firefighter.

You don't want to go into emergency medicine do you?

The reason I bring this up is because of a paramedic who is doing emergency medicine and currently attending OU realized he should have chosen to attend OSU instead.

OU does not have ANY emergency medicine residencies.

As of next year, OSU will have 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
OU and Kansas. I was born in Manhattan and have family in Wichita, but that is about the extent of my ties to KS. In the big picture, the money to apply all over the place is a drop in the bucket. But I can't really see spending money, time, and effort to apply to places I don't really WANT to go (or more likely, don't have the numbers to get into...). It may not be the most efficient or even the smartest idea to really narrow my target, but in all actuality I'll be happy with even trying to get in if it turns out that I don't. It is one of those events that can certainly change my life, but I won't be swinging from the rafters if it doesn't work out...

I took a tour of OSU-CHS and learned that about the opportunities (or lack thereof) for OK MD EM wannabes. I obviously work with EM folks and have more of a comfort level with that specialty, but I have heard more than one peer say that EM was their initial choice as well, prior to school. Each changed to surg and plastics during school. Not that that happens to everyone. And they're my age with a 6-7 year res looming over them, not my age plus 5, so my situation may be a little different when/if that time comes. But I have weighed the lack of EM residencies at OU.

were having a meet and greet with OU too, not sure what about either, I hope its not another OU presentation because ive been to like four of those. The last one i went to she started asking for mcat scores from ppl, and told them right there that they need to get it up prior to any interview at all lol. Dont need that during the application cycle :D

Abe said:
were having a meet and greet with OU too, not sure what about either, I hope its not another OU presentation because ive been to like four of those. The last one i went to she started asking for mcat scores from ppl, and told them right there that they need to get it up prior to any interview at all lol. Dont need that during the application cycle :D

that is funny. the invitation said it was more or less an information session but im not sure any information will be gained that wont be covered in the interview day. but if they are going to come to norman i figure i need to go and show my interest. my only concern is looking like an idiot without anything intelligent to say.

this is a list sent by an adminstrator at ouhsc, anybody got anything else that would be beneficial to ask about?

1. How much time do you spend in class each day in medical school?
2. What classes do you take the first two years of medical school?
3. How are the third and fourth years of medical school different from the first two years?
4. What is an “international rotation?” When and who can participate in an “international rotation?”
5. How soon do you get to interact with patients?
6. What is “Hippocrates” and how does it complement medical school?
7. Why did you pick the OU College of Medicine?
8. What is a “module” and what is its purpose?
9. What is the “simulation” center?
10. What types of research opportunities are available?
11. How do you identify and select a residency? What is the “National Residency Match?”
12. What is the “United States Medical Licensing Exam?” How many are there?
13. What opportunities are available for medical students in Tulsa? What years can I attend the Schusterman Campus in Tulsa?
14. What is the “Anatomical Donor Luncheon?” What is the “Remembrance Service?”
15. What are typical questions I may be asked in a medical school interview?
16. What extra-curricular classes are available on the campus?

I'm applying as a non-resident, but I'm a native Oklahoman (graduated from Stillwater High School), so I'm hoping my app won't be totally disregarded. I've still got to draft that letter about my strong ties, though. I'm wondering how long it should be -- the sad thing is that the stronger your ties are, probably the less you really have to talk about. I lived in Oklahoma from when I was one until I left for college. My parents and brother live there. My brother got his MD from OU. Nuff said. :)

I'm putting my secondary to the bottom of my stack because I got the impression they don't really do anything until Nov. 1. Is that right?

Also, for current students, what do you know about the students who aren't instate? Do they have a psycho-great profile?

looking at you twos profiles im like a subpar applicant 3.7 gpa and a 29-30 mcat just doesnt cut it anymore.

exlawgrrl said:
you've been spending too much time at sdn. :) this place makes us all feel inadequate.

i agree abe. with those stats you should be golden in-state at ou.

any more okies around?

I'm an okie, but I'm looking to apply to begin in the Fall of 2008, so I still have a ways to go, but this thread is awsome. I do have a question, though. (God this is going to be SOOO redundant.) But, on the OUHSC Med School Web site, they state that a minimum MCAT, (7 avg?) needs to be met, but that most classes have an average of (9 avg?), is this a 21 low/27 average? or am I reading this wrong?

PreMedMommy said:
I'm an okie, but I'm looking to apply to begin in the Fall of 2008, so I still have a ways to go, but this thread is awsome. I do have a question, though. (God this is going to be SOOO redundant.) But, on the OUHSC Med School Web site, they state that a minimum MCAT, (7 avg?) needs to be met, but that most classes have an average of (9 avg?), is this a 21 low/27 average? or am I reading this wrong?

yes. it means that if you have less than a 7 avg, they will not even consider your application. the 9.56 average for matriculants is old (fall 2002 or 2003), i believe the class entering for fall 2005 had an average of 10.05. so granted there is a large percentage of matriculants below the average each year. basically the use some sort of formula to rank all the applicants after the nov 1 deadline and then invite applicants according to rank until all the interview spots are filled. the top ranked apps get interviewed in nov and it keeps going until february.

Does anyone know if "the formula" used to cull the herd into respective interview groups changes each year, or for that matter, if there is a formula at all?

no clue what the actual formula is. i would like to know. im sure it is some combination of mcat and gpa but i wonder if there are any other aspects (ie ec's, lors, etc.) that work into it.

glp said:
no clue what the actual formula is. i would like to know. im sure it is some combination of mcat and gpa but i wonder if there are any other aspects (ie ec's, lors, etc.) that work into it.

As far as I recall and know, the initial screening for interviews is based strictly on the GPA/MCAT formula.

Last year it was (3.75*GPA + MCAT)/2

GPA is your cumulative and MCAT is your average on the parts, not the sum. From there it's just guess work. They interview around 270ish people with the minimum GPA 3.00 and the minimum MCAT at 7.0. You can roughly gauge your competitiveness from there. Also, residency will play a role; OU is a public institution, and as has been already stated they preferentially select Oklahoma residents. There is a lot that goes on behind the doors of the admissions office that we can only speculate about.

I hope that answers your questions.

My mod just had lunch with Dean's Hall and Schmidt and they said next year's class (yours, the Class of 2010) will have 162 students.

Enjoy. :)

Amxcvbcv said:
As far as I recall and know, the initial screening for interviews is based strictly on the GPA/MCAT formula.

Last year it was (3.75*GPA + MCAT)/2

GPA is your cumulative and MCAT is your average on the parts, not the sum. From there it's just guess work. They interview around 270ish people with the minimum GPA 3.00 and the minimum MCAT at 7.0. You can roughly gauge your competitiveness from there. Also, residency will play a role; OU is a public institution, and as has been already stated they preferentially select Oklahoma residents. There is a lot that goes on behind the doors of the admissions office that we can only speculate about.

I hope that answers your questions.

so how does this formula work for out of state applicants? are we still interviewed at the same time, or do we interview last? i'm one of native oklahomans but not an oklahoma resident people, so i can't quite figure out where i it in. i know i'm officially a non-resident but have no clue about the interview/timeline stuff.

i have read last years thread when the class of 2009 was applying and saw that formula. that is the same thing i was told by the pre-med advisors at ou. it seems so simplistic though. the mcat is fairly straight forward but the gpa part is questionable. using this formula, a 3.5 at rose state is the same as a 3.5 at caltech. it seems that they would use a screening system at least somewhat more sophisticated.

that is the formula for interview order according to OU's presentation. 11.5 or so gets you first round interviews, and so on i think is what she said which is like 3. 6 and 30 mcat or so. It is very simplistic, but im pretty sure thats how they set order for interviews, i think they consider ecs and letters after they set interview order.
Not sure if there number heavy or what. Think they are more into numbers than ecs and letters.

I really can't vouch for how they weight GPAs from different institutions. Dr. Hall (the assistant dean for admissions) told us today that they use just GPA and MCAT for that initial screening and didn't elaborate on it.

:confused:

Other than actually working in her office, I don't think it's something we'll ever find out for sure.

hey all....I'll be applying at OU for the class of 2010 with ya. Of course, that is providing my MCAT scores are decent.

man, i was looking at the OU 2009 class thread when they were applying, this thread is getting no love compared with that one. is everyone that is applying complete? i am still waiting on my committee rec from OU and need to send in my money. my other rec is ready to be sent and my primary was in around 8/31.

glp said:
man, i was looking at the OU 2009 class thread when they were applying, this thread is getting no love compared with that one. is everyone that is applying complete? i am still waiting on my committee rec from OU and need to send in my money. my other rec is ready to be sent and my primary was in around 8/31.

i haven't sent in my check or drafted my essay about my strong ties to oklahoma, so i'm not complete. i thought that wasn't a big deal with them, though, since they're not rolling. i'll probably have everything sent to them by monday or so.

Abe said:
that is the formula for interview order according to OU's presentation. 11.5 or so gets you first round interviews, and so on i think is what she said which is like 3. 6 and 30 mcat or so. It is very simplistic, but im pretty sure thats how they set order for interviews, i think they consider ecs and letters after they set interview order.
Not sure if there number heavy or what. Think they are more into numbers than ecs and letters.

What presentation? Somehow I managed to get a 12 out of that formula, even though my GPA is atrocious. It would be cool to know that I was going to get an interview at OU.

It has arrived... Test Block 1.

Today's agenda:

Biochemistry and Medical Molecular Genetics Exam
3 Hours
129 Questions

After this week is over, I'll recruit some more of my classmates to post here with their perspectives on things. I know there are several SDN fans in my class with at least two of them in my mod. :) Go 232! ;)

Anyway... time to see if the hours of studying actually made me learn anything.

OSUdoc08 said:
Freeze, I noticed that you are a "trauma junkie" and a firefighter.

You don't want to go into emergency medicine do you?

The reason I bring this up is because of a paramedic who is doing emergency medicine and currently attending OU realized he should have chosen to attend OSU instead.

OU does not have ANY emergency medicine residencies.

As of next year, OSU will have 4.

Here we go again with the self-appointed EM residency "expert" from OSU.

Why would you try to dissuade someone from attending OU when you know absolutely nothing about the program? You don't see me on the OSU forums trying to convince people why OU is such a great program, or why they wouldn't want to go to OSU, so why do you butt into every OU forum trying to do the same?

Give me a break. Like you, I was a paramedic for 7 years before going to medical school, am currently planning on doing emergency medicine, and am taking full advantage of opportunities offered here, including 1st and 2nd year clinical rotations in EM, 4th year selectives in EM, away rotations, and am the clinical coordinator for our Emergency Medicine Interest Group which does EMSA ride-along programs, advanced airway clinics, etc. We have plenty of great EM physician mentors around the metro that are gung ho in helping us with our pursuits, LOR's, etc. and our 4th year students go on to do away rotations and EM residencies at some of the top programs in the nation (Vandy, Denver, LA county, etc.).

Not to get into a pissing match, but I'm not sure who this supposed paramedic is that you're describiing. There's only one other paramedic besides me at OU (he's a 4th year) and we're both quite happy where we're at with no regrets, and no "realizations" that we should have gone to OSU. We both chose OU over OSU for several reasons, those being academic, facilities and online resources, to name a few. The fact that there's no allopathic EM residency in Oklahoma is actually quite irrelevant. Most people go out of state for their residencies anyway, and the fact that the allopathic RRC standards are much higher for emergency medicine residencies versus osteoathic RRC, means that it's much more difficult to get a new allopathic residency going (thus they can't pop up all overnight all over the place like DO residencies. 4 EM residencies in OK? Bit of overkill, don't you think?). In the long run, this means that the likelihood of being halfway through residency and having it collapse or be shut down is much less.
In the long run, I most certainly wouldn't place my education on the line for a factor such as residency location, when the vast majority will either change their minds about specialty, or at least location.

Example: Somebody who "wants" to do EM, opts to go to OSU instead of OU. Halfway through 3rd year, they realize that they don't really like EM or any of the primary care specialties, but instead really want to do one of the competitive surgical subspecialities.

Now lets see, which would be easier. An MD student to move out of Oklahoma to do EM (big whoop), or a DO student to get a cardiovascular surgery, derm, plastics, urology, ENT, interventional rads, etc. residency?

Note, I didn't say the latter was impossible, but we all know the difficult reality.

Which situation would you rather be in?

I like the security of knowing that whatever I want to do, it's one set of board exams, and one move away. It's all about maximizing your potential, and that to me, was enough to choose OU over OSU.

(Note: I actually really like OSU, it's small, kinda "homey" and the people are nice, mature and intelligent, I wanted to go there for the last 10 years prior to med school, and I only made the decision to attend OU over OSU after receiving acceptance from both, and coming face to face with the benefits of each. In addition, it was a more difficult transition for me and my family to move to OKC than Tulsa, but in the end, the above reasons were key.)

My main reason for not wantinig to go to OU? I thought the students would be immature and snotty. Since being here, I've found it to be completely opposite. My classmates are among some of the brightest and friendliest people I've ever had the opportunity to be around. My only complaint about OU is that we have a farther walk to class than the dental students. Everything else is awesome, with the best benefit I've found so far, the ability to homeschool extremely successfully. For example, as I'm typing this, my 3 year old has 104 F temp, and is staying home with me while I study. No pressures to attend class. Today I'm looking over bacterial toxins and studying cardiovascular assesment, in the comfort of my recliner. Forget notegroups, hippocrates, and all that stuff as the primary reason to come to OU, being able to study 3 or 4 hrs a day, and then have the rest of the day off, because you weren't required to sit in class for 6 additional hours (plus the $$$ in gas to get there and back), is A+++, #1 benefit for me.

My $.02? OU is a great place to be, and I look forward to the Class of 2010 starting next fall.

Good luck to everyone on their application cycle, and if you need any help or questions answered, feel free to post them here, and I or the others on here will do our best to assist in whatever ways we can.

well OU presentation came to my school, everyone pretty much came from admissions met some comittee members, everyone was really nice, the school seems pretty cool they decide in like 12 days what your fate is after interviews. Oh and the interview makes or breaks you, b/c there are too many qualified applicants.
oh and on this osu vs ou thing both schools are awesome! just depends on the environment you want really.
oh and mcat scores come out the 14th apparently a little less than the expected 60 days.

oudoc08 said:
For example, as I'm typing this, my 3 year old has 104 F temp, and is staying home with me while I study. No pressures to attend class. Today I'm looking over bacterial toxins and studying cardiovascular assesment, in the comfort of my recliner. Forget notegroups, hippocrates, and all that stuff as the primary reason to come to OU, being able to study 3 or 4 hrs a day, and then have the rest of the day off, because you weren't required to sit in class for 6 additional hours (plus the $$$ in gas to get there and back), is A+++, #1 benefit for me.

yep, that sounds totally cool. my brother went to ou and rarely went to class. he also had some spare time and wasn't totally stressed out during medical school because he had more time. i've got to admit i really don't like attendence requirements.

exlawgrrl said:
yep, that sounds totally cool. my brother went to ou and rarely went to class. he also had some spare time and wasn't totally stressed out during medical school because he had more time. i've got to admit i really don't like attendence requirements.

At first when I heard about many OU students homeschooling, I thought they were lazy and were just blowing off class. I was like "I wouldn't spend 17 grand a year to not go to class".
Then when you actually become a med student, you begin to understand that OU is all about providing multiple ways to learn the material, in order that each student may find his or her best style of learning.
Those resources include syllabi, extensive online resources, textbooks, review guides, notegroups, in addition to the traditional classroom lectures.

The student is then free to learn the material by which ever means works best.

For me, I went to class for the first semester last year, then as I began to find my groove, I started homeschooling more and more, and now I do it exclusively, and only attend the few required days such as practice interviews, mod exercises, etc., which averages out to me having to actually physically go to the campus apx. 1x/week.

As a result, I'm under much less stress and have far more free time than I ever thought possible (except for the week before and of test block, which is obviously more intense, by necessity).

oudoc08 said:
For me, I went to class for the first semester last year, then as I began to find my groove, I started homeschooling more and more, and now I do it exclusively, and only attend the few required days such as practice interviews, mod exercises, etc., which averages out to me having to actually physically go to the campus apx. 1x/week.

As a result, I'm under much less stress and have far more free time than I ever thought possible (except for the week before and of test block, which is obviously more intense, by necessity).

that sounds pretty chill. i generally attended class in my post-bacc out of guilt and not bc it helped me learn. i definitely learn better on my own except for complex theoretical type stuff. which schools require attendance in lectures? i will definitely stay away.

glp said:
that sounds pretty chill. i generally attended class in my post-bacc out of guilt and not bc it helped me learn. i definitely learn better on my own except for complex theoretical type stuff. which schools require attendance in lectures? i will definitely stay away.

I encourage everyone to plan on attending most classes for the first semester, mainly in order to figure out your learning style. After that, it's what works best for you. I'd say for our class, it's around 50% lecture-goers, 50% homeschoolers on average. Admittedly it does take a fair amount of self-discipline to homeschool, and many of the people who attend lectures will freely admit that they do so in order to prevent falling behind. Others just like having another perspective on the material.

I don't know what instutitions in particular require attendance at lectures, but I would make it a key question hen deciding where to go.
I don't know about OSU either, but I never heard homeschooling as a option from any of my friends that go there, so I'm not sure what's up over in T-town. They might be able to miss lectures, but OSU has nowhere near the online resources that OU does, and that might be a factor. OU's Hippocrates has dissection video's and guides, practice test questions, powerpoint lectures, MP3's, online notegroups, etc. etc. etc., and is a most important and necessary resource in my homeschool learning.

i think osucom requires attendence, but i don't know how strict they are in enforcing it. i've not heard of any md programs requiring attendence, but it's not too uncommon in the osteopathic world. nsucom makes all their students scan in every day for class and automatically reduces your grade if you miss a certain percentage of class.

you know, i intend to go to lecture, but i just rebel against the idea of being forced to go.

exlawgrrl said:
i think osucom requires attendence, but i don't know how strict they are in enforcing it. i've not heard of any md programs requiring attendence, but it's not too uncommon in the osteopathic world. nsucom makes all their students scan in every day for class and automatically reduces your grade if you miss a certain percentage of class.

you know, i intend to go to lecture, but i just rebel against the idea of being forced to go.

No joke. Part of being in professional school is that you need to take initiative in your education, and that includes learning the material in the way that suits you best, not having a school hand-hold and coddle you through. Making students attend lecture is very undergradish and only emphasizes the schools lack of resources, and their fear of students not passing boards.
While there are many factors to consider in what school to attend, I can honestly say that required class attendance wasn't even on my list, just because I thought I would want to go everyday. Now, I'd say optional class attendance would be #1 or #2 on my list of most important attributes of a medical school. For my grade to be docked because I had to stay home with my sick kid instead of sleep through a lecture from some heavily accented foreign dude that I couldn't understand anyway would be completely unacceptable.

Wow, test block infinitely sucks. Good for it to be over though. :sleep:

Amxcvbcv said:
After this week is over, I'll recruit some more of my classmates to post here with their perspectives on things. I know there are several SDN fans in my class with at least two of them in my mod. :) Go 232! ;)

Mod 232 rocks!!

Yeah, guys, test block is over. I can give you more "love" now. Thanks for letting us know about the post, Amxcvbcv. I was wondering when you dudes would get one started. I love answering questions, so plan on hearing a lot from me.

BTW, test block is hell, but I survived. I counted up all my hours of studying from last Friday (Sept. 23) until Thursday (Sept. 29), so less than a week, and I had studied 60 hours. WOW!! Never thought that would happen. Anyway, I did very well on the tests, so just know that with hard work, medical school can have its rewards. But, again, it might take LOTS of hours... :laugh:

speedo542 said:
Anyway, I did very well on the tests, so just know that with hard work, medical school can have its rewards. But, again, it might take LOTS of hours... :laugh:

My family has told me I've done well, but I am definitely not happy with my performance this past week. I'm going to make a few changes to how I study for this next block. I was feeling so bad I seriously considered going to get the Biochem syllabus addition on Friday. :p Anyway... It's nice to have some guilt-free time off this weekend.

I do have a good solid start, and I feel like a real medical student now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.