-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Oklahoma State CVM C/O 2027 (Ok State)
Started by apopken
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Current student. During my first year, I honestly thought I was only queer person in the entirety of my vet school, and realized that summer and second year that that was NOT at all the case. I think a lot of folks keep it under wraps until they're close with people, because this is Oklahoma, and half the class is pretty conservative. But in my experience, everyone is very cool, and open. OSU and higher education in general is very welcoming though, which is different to the general political climate of Oklahoma.What is LGBT student life like at OKstate CVM? I've heard that vet schools in general have substantial queer populations but I'm curious about OSU specifically
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OSU veterinary college appoints new hospital director - Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine has named Kelly Black, DVM, DACVPM, as director of its Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.
I remember reading some concerns about the lack of specialists at the teaching hospital on this thread, what are your guys’ views on this change in relation to that?
RSVet
Full Member
Academic hiring takes agggggeeess. They probably started this search in early/mid-Fall. To me, this says they know that this is an issue and they are taking steps to fix that (largely ahead of their next accreditation evaluation next calendar year).
His statement in the article doesn't provide any particular insight except a kind of throwaway line: "I am also committed to finding innovative ways to optimize student learning and to broaden our reach to underserved, rural regions of the state." I am not entirely sure what the first half of this means for a teaching hospital. It's mostly likely general hiring/we need a state from you for PR stuff. BUT...It does make me wonder if they are considering adopting some distributive aspects. I know they are doing this for surgery starting next year (they told me this when I toured) and this makes me wonder if some other areas where the caseload at the hospital is not high enough or they can't keep specialists that may switch to this modality.
Mostly though, I think they see an issue and they have made a new hire to try and address that issue. I would be interested in what other people think though.
His statement in the article doesn't provide any particular insight except a kind of throwaway line: "I am also committed to finding innovative ways to optimize student learning and to broaden our reach to underserved, rural regions of the state." I am not entirely sure what the first half of this means for a teaching hospital. It's mostly likely general hiring/we need a state from you for PR stuff. BUT...It does make me wonder if they are considering adopting some distributive aspects. I know they are doing this for surgery starting next year (they told me this when I toured) and this makes me wonder if some other areas where the caseload at the hospital is not high enough or they can't keep specialists that may switch to this modality.
Mostly though, I think they see an issue and they have made a new hire to try and address that issue. I would be interested in what other people think though.
Yea, I agree it is hard to gauge exactly what this means for the teaching hospital without more specifics. I’m glad they are taking steps to correct the issue though, or at least it looks like it. I am curious to hear more about the distributive model they told you about during your tour? Did they give you any other details?Academic hiring takes agggggeeess. They probably started this search in early/mid-Fall. To me, this says they know that this is an issue and they are taking steps to fix that (largely ahead of their next accreditation evaluation next calendar year).
His statement in the article doesn't provide any particular insight except a kind of throwaway line: "I am also committed to finding innovative ways to optimize student learning and to broaden our reach to underserved, rural regions of the state." I am not entirely sure what the first half of this means for a teaching hospital. It's mostly likely general hiring/we need a state from you for PR stuff. BUT...It does make me wonder if they are considering adopting some distributive aspects. I know they are doing this for surgery starting next year (they told me this when I toured) and this makes me wonder if some other areas where the caseload at the hospital is not high enough or they can't keep specialists that may switch to this modality.
Mostly though, I think they see an issue and they have made a new hire to try and address that issue. I would be interested in what other people think though.
RSVet
Full Member
They just said that their surgeon was leaving and while they were running a search, they hadn't been able to hire a replacement--hiring clinicians is a nationwide problem. So during the that required clinical rotations, at least for the foreseeable future, they are sending students out to other places for that rotation--like in a distributive model. The tour guide seemed to be very high on this idea--that it made more sense for most people because of the type of surgeries they are likely to see at the hospital.I am curious to hear more about the distributive model they told you about during your tour? Did they give you any other details?
The other core rotations will stay as they are--per my understanding. As they have the clinicians and caseload to support them. They did mention that they have been running a search for... I think two new clinicians to expand their staff but they weren't having much luck. Again, hiring and keeping clinicians is difficult because you can make so much more in private practice. I'd be interested to see if the college gets regent support for this issue (aka money to up the salaries to compete).
They are changing the curriculum for the fall and opening a clinical skills lab. Clinical skills will be a major feature based on the tentative curriculum pathway they showed me. I know that other schools have been talking about changing the curriculum that gets delayed and delayed and delayed, but this has regents' approval and will definitely be in place for the fall.
Thanks so much for all the details! Adding the clinical skills lab sounds really great too-It definitely looks like OkState recognizes a problem and is taking the steps to solve itThey just said that their surgeon was leaving and while they were running a search, they hadn't been able to hire a replacement--hiring clinicians is a nationwide problem. So during the that required clinical rotations, at least for the foreseeable future, they are sending students out to other places for that rotation--like in a distributive model. The tour guide seemed to be very high on this idea--that it made more sense for most people because of the type of surgeries they are likely to see at the hospital.
The other core rotations will stay as they are--per my understanding. As they have the clinicians and caseload to support them. They did mention that they have been running a search for... I think two new clinicians to expand their staff but they weren't having much luck. Again, hiring and keeping clinicians is difficult because you can make so much more in private practice. I'd be interested to see if the college gets regent support for this issue (aka money to up the salaries to compete).
They are changing the curriculum for the fall and opening a clinical skills lab. Clinical skills will be a major feature based on the tentative curriculum pathway they showed me. I know that other schools have been talking about changing the curriculum that gets delayed and delayed and delayed, but this has regents' approval and will definitely be in place for the fall.
On a different note, does anyone know if we need to buy certain scrub colors for school? I was hoping to order some new ones and am just curious if we need certain colors. Thanks!
And to add onto this, is there a dress code? I know some schools have a business-casual dress code going on
I toured a few weeks ago & she said there was no dress code!And to add onto this, is there a dress code? I know some schools have a business-casual dress code going on
I think they sent one on 3/1 but I haven’t gotten anything else since then. People are still allowed to RSVP till tomorrow so I’m sure we’ll hear sometime next week!Has anyone gotten the second email with additional details about accepted students day?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rattietattie
New Member
Hey guys! Has anyone received scholarships or know when we find out?
Maybe things have changed since I graduated years ago but historically okstate did not give out scholarships to incoming students. At the end of first year there are some you can apply for, but not at the beginning.
Hey guys! Has anyone received scholarships or know when we find out?
Some of the current students there told me scholarships are not offered until December
Current student, unless something changed from this year, there’s no scholarship application until December/January of your first year, unfortunately. And they don’t kick in until fall of 2nd year.Hey guys! Has anyone received scholarships or know when we find out?
Also, no particular scrub color or dress code. You can wear whatever you like. Only real “dress code” is your lab coat for anatomy/parasit/bacT labs, or your class polo in some cases (you’ll get info on that in the fall). I recommend a lab coat with cuffed sleeves to avoid the anatomy lab yuck, but that’s just me lol.On a different note, does anyone know if we need to buy certain scrub colors for school? I was hoping to order some new ones and am just curious if we need certain colors. Thanks!
delilahatx
New Member
Hi guys - for the OOS waitlist people, did okstate already send the email about them having a high probability of being called off? Just mentally preparing myself as April 17th gets closer!
callaoak123
Full Member
Will be declining my OOS seat today as I have accepted elsewhere, I hope this helps y'all! Best of luck to everyone in their journey!!!
frogparty69
New Member
I'm a little confused about the house system at OSU... What are the different houses? are they supposed to have different personality vibes like a Harry Potter house? Or are they kind of divided based on the kind of medicine people are interested in? Whaat are the vibes of each house? I've looked at what information is provided by OSU's websites but they mostly just describe the doctors that the houses are named after.
Hi, I don't know if anyone is still getting notifications for this forum but it's worth a shot. I am on the waitlist for OSU c/o 2028. I would love to get to know a little more about the school since I'm pretty far away geographically and know virtually nothing. Are there any current students who would be willing to share more information?