Oklahoma State Senate passes interventional pain bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProRealDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]After passing unanimously out of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee, the Oklahoma State Senate passed SB 1133 in a vote of 28 to 18. This bill would make it unlawful to practice or offer to practice interventional pain management unless such person is a licensed MD or DO. The State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision would establish guidelines for the standard of care for interventional pain management, including the proper use of fluoroscopy in such practice. Moreover, SB 1133 would authorize the Board to impose administrative penalties and initiate disciplinary and injunctive proceedings against any person who violates any provisions of the Oklahoma Interventional Pain Management and Treatment Act or rule promulgated pursuant thereto. The bill will move to the Oklahoma House of Representatives. .

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Congratulations to the Oklahoma Society of Anesthesiologist who have worked to achieve this success. A copy of the bill can be found at the following link:.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]SB 1133.

Members don't see this ad.

Rock on, dude! :thumbup:

There is some common sense when it comes to patient safety after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

ProReal -

Is there anything that you know of that "encouraged" the legislators one way or the other? I would love to believe that the lawmakers were simply shown that physicians should be the only ones practicing medicine, but my cynical side feels that's likely not the only factor at work here.

dc

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

ProReal -

Is there anything that you know of that "encouraged" the legislators one way or the other? I would love to believe that the lawmakers were simply shown that physicians should be the only ones practicing medicine, but my cynical side feels that's likely not the only factor at work here.

dc

Let me just summarize it by saying it was "world class" advocacy in action at the highest levels. It goes to show what anesthesiologists are capable of. More of it is come nationwide.

As Dr. Lema eloquently states once a few moons ago, it is a chess game.

Let's not get too excited just yet. It has only passed the OK senate. It still has to pass the house and get the governor's signature.

I'll loosen my anal sphincter once I see the ink dry on the final bill after the governor signs it.

The governor was a big supporter of the AA bill that recently passed.

A lot of good stuff coming out of Oklahoma politically. I am sure it is largely due to the action of a few such as the chair at OU. She is top notch and very politically active. I hold her in high esteem.

A lot of good stuff coming out of Oklahoma politically. I am sure it is largely due to the action of a few such as the chair at OU. She is top notch and very politically active. I hold her in high esteem.

She's great. Very politically active for anesthesiologists. Ironically, she's also a former CRNA.

Irony - schmirony.

Sounds like she has perspective that very, very few of us have. I suspect the number of CRNAs that have taken the plunge to go get an MD is very few, and then those in positions of adminstration/power even fewer still. But what an incredible asset! I'd support funding a source that pays her to travel to legislative meetings to refute any false NA propaganda.

How could they refute a former CRNA/current MD that says: "As a CRNA I was not qualified to do that, but as an MD I am."?

Kudos, Dr. Fitch!

dc

She's great. Very politically active for anesthesiologists. Ironically, she's also a former CRNA.

This helps a ton politically. Imagine her saying what she was trained to do as a CRNA, what she didn't know medically before she went to medical school and residency. It is like a NP that is in our class at medical school, she is blown away by all the hidden details involved in medicine and amazed at how much she didn't know before (she didn't know what she didn't know)

Members don't see this ad :)

talked to her about this during my interview there. she said exactly that, she knows how much she knew then and how much she knows now, and the difference is huge and matters....matters enough to prompt her to go to medical school and residency after the whole crna route... thats putting your money (and time and hard work) where your mouth is.... she is an absolute asset for us....

talked to her about this during my interview there. she said exactly that, she knows how much she knew then and how much she knows now, and the difference is huge and matters....matters enough to prompt her to go to medical school and residency after the whole crna route... thats putting your money (and time and hard work) where your mouth is.... she is an absolute asset for us....

Dr. Moore is doing a great job, but if this Dr. Fitch, ever ran for ASA president.she would be awesome!

It was someone else not Dr. Fitch.

Who are you talking about then? Dr. Fitch, the program director at OU, is the person we've been talking about the last several posts.
And yes, she would make an awesome ASA pres.

Maybe we'll see the opening of an AA program at OU soon?

Unlikely - I think a CRNA program is in the process of being started here, and I really don't see them adding both.

To echo the above sentiment, Dr. Fitch is pretty awesome - looking forward to training under her.

UMKC has a new AA program that was created with a prexisting CRNA program (via Truman Medical Center).

UMKC has a new AA program that was created with a prexisting CRNA program (via Truman Medical Center).

Sorry, what I should have said is that I don't see them starting both of them up simultaneously. Maybe down the road a bit once the CRNA program is up and running.

I still think it would be possible. CRNA programs are part of the school of nursing and AA programs are part of the school of medicine.

There might be problems finding enough basic science instructors to teach the non-anesthesia classes though. Plus competing for clinical sites might result in epic drama.

As of now, SB1133 is dead.

According to those close with House Leader Benge...it will move to an interim study.

As of now, SB1133 is dead.

According to those close with House Leader Benge...it will move to an interim study.

T[SIZE=+1]he Oklahoma Senate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+4][SIZE=+3]Week In Review
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Monday, Mar. 30 to Thursday, Apr. 2, 2009
Monday, March 30
• The House met Tuesday, approving numerous appropriations bills and the following resolutions:
-HCR 1016 by Rep. John Wright, disapproves the Oklahoma Health Care Authority’s permanent rules which allow a voter registration card or other acceptable documentation approved by OHCA as acceptable evidence to verify identity and citizenship.
-SB 894 by Sen. Glenn Coffee, clarifies language related to reporting child abuse.
-SB 248 by Sen. John Ford, provides exceptions for federal dams on Copan Lake and Hulah Lake from language relating to the Department of Wildlife Conservation’s authority to maintain buoy lines, cable nets and other safety devices.
-SB 337 by Sen. Tom Adelson, amends HJR 1058 of the 51st Legislature, which authorized the Department of Human Services to sell a parcel of land in Tulsa County.
-SB 533 by Sen. Cliff Aldridge, modifies language related to uninsured motorist coverage.
-SB 564 by Sen. Charles Wyrick, authorizes the State Board of Agriculture to require more than the minimum $25,000 surety bond for operating, conducting or maintaining a livestock auction market.
-SB 592 by Sen. John Ford, clarifies language related to the State Architectural and Interior Designers Act.
-SB 964 by Sen. Susan Paddack, modifies language related to the membership and duties of a Department of Health advisory committee.

• House committees passed the following measures on Tuesday:
-SB 817 by Sen. Randy Brogdon, modifies procedure for legislative approval or disapproval of administrative rules.
-SB 1133 by Sen. Clark Jolley, creates the Oklahoma Interventional Pain Management and Treatment Act.
-SB 741 by Sen. Clark Jolley, modifies language related to the Oklahoma Health Care Authority and the nursing Facility Quality of Care Fund.
-SB 546 by Sen. Jim Halligan, creates the Therapeutic Recreation Practice Act.
-SB 679 by Sen. David Myers, recreates the Oklahoma Geologic Storage of Carbon Dioxide Task Force.
-SB 953 by Sen. David Myers, creates the Oklahoma Clean Energy Independence Commission.
-SB 474 by Sen. Brian Bingman, authorizes electric suppliers to trim, remove and control trees and other vegetation to maintain electric lines.
-SB 257 by Sen. Kenneth Corn, allows the Board of Education of a technology center school district to convey surplus personal property to a technology center school district or the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education.
-SB 668 by Sen. Cliff Aldridge, creates the Oklahoma Energy Independence Act, allowing a board of county commissioners, by resolution, to create a County Energy District Authority.
-SB 431 by Sen. Cliff Aldridge, authorizes boards of county commissioners to establish fines and penalties for offenses in violation of its zoning, subdivision and floodplain regulations.
-SB 348 by Sen. David Myers, increases the award amount that boards of county commissioners may offer for the arrest and conviction of persons stealing or defacing county roads signs or any other county property.​

That's nice....it passed the Senate without title....a while back as your "response" duly notes.

It then moved to the House where it passed through the Public Health Committee

The House leader has asked for an Interim Study as of Monday April 20th....and so there it remains.

It will move nowhere this session.

I believe we must get our assets in place to meet this head on, in a more effective manner.

That's nice....it passed the Senate without title....a while back as your "response" duly notes.

It then moved to the House where it passed through the Public Health Committee

The House leader has asked for an Interim Study as of Monday April 20th....and so there it remains.

It will move nowhere this session.

I believe we must get our assets in place to meet this head on, in a more effective manner.

Have you contacted your OK legislators?

Have you contacted your OK legislators?

I have met with them personally on many occasions.....the author of the bill is my Senator.

I am disappointed at this turn of events...but not surprised.

I think our tactics led to the interim study....not being a politician, I don't know how it could have been avoided :confused:

I have met with them personally on many occasions.....the author of the bill is my Senator.

I am disappointed at this turn of events...but not surprised.

I think our tactics led to the interim study....not being a politician, I don't know how it could have been avoided :confused:

Be careful with your comments in this forum about political strategies. Many CRNAs lurk here. We have a private forum where those with interest in the politics of anesthesiology congregate. We can discuss more there privately.

Last edited:
Be careful with your comments in this forum about political strategies. Many CRNAs lurk here. We have a private forum where those with interest in the politics of anesthesiology congregate. We can discuss more there privately.

Thanks.

Actually she wasn't even involved in the process.