old AAMC practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if anyone has these materials or a magic link and is gracious enough to share, I will be forever grateful :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
oh it did! There were just a few omitted items that I was hoping to track down and put together for future test takers.

Just to clarify aren't the question packs just old questions?

If one does the question packs is it worth doing the old exams as well?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes they are worth doing for the VR alone. Also some science topics like O-chem is not in the Q packs so they are worth doing as well. If I had the time for my retake I would have done all of them. They don't take that long.

Yes they are worth doing for the VR alone. Also some science topics like O-chem is not in the Q packs so they are worth doing as well. If I had the time for my retake I would have done all of them. They don't take that long.
Would you say the VR is on par with the section bank and Q pack CARS! Is the verbal on the FL representative of the New MCAT CARS?

Would you say the VR is on par with the section bank and Q pack CARS! Is the verbal on the FL representative of the New MCAT CARS?
The q pack are passages from the old FLs. CARS is pretty much the same as the old verbal, just longer and with more convoluted answers

The q pack are passages from the old FLs. CARS is pretty much the same as the old verbal, just longer and with more convoluted answers
Dang so do the convoluted answers make it much more difficult?

I don't want to get a false sense of confidence from doing old FL's :( I did a passage in the AAMC and didn't miss any and had time to spare so I was super excited Haha

Dang so do the convoluted answers make it much more difficult?

I don't want to get a false sense of confidence from doing old FL's :( I did a passage in the AAMC and didn't miss any and had time to spare so I was super excited Haha

No take the scores you get seriously for the old AAMC (I ranged from 10-12 on the ones I took and I'm guessing that is what I got on the real deal). I just mean the real CARS is harder but most people still get the same score or better as they do on the AAMC FL. The passages and questions are very very very similar to the real MCAT just most of the answers on the MCAT are very similar and hard to distinguish between. Don't read into this too much just use them to learn.

@Roayer Just saw that you added your 5/9 score to your profile. Can I pick your brain on your decision to retake? I'm sure you scored higher on 7/9 :) J/w since 509 is probably an acceptable score for a lot of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Roayer Just saw that you added your 5/9 score to your profile. Can I pick your brain on your decision to retake? I'm sure you scored higher on 7/9 :) J/w since 509 is probably an acceptable score for a lot of schools.

I knew I could score better. Plus I thought I failed that test and got below a 125 in C/P. So I kept studying and my practice scores were all above a 510 and by the time I got my score back I had 2 weeks before my retake (I would have been out $150) and I figured I could get at least a 515 (hopefully). I figured since I hadn't even started my application or asked for LOR it would be better to have a 5+ score increase than get my app in a few weeks earlier. I'm glad I did it because I would have hated myself for settling with a score that was less than my full potential. Nothing wrong with a 509 I know a lot of people would kill for it but I only did practice problems for 3 weeks before that one and had 5 practice tests completed while for my retake I had done 17 (did AAMC twice though). Also I have a lot of problems my application that would make MD iffy so I need the MCAT to make up for them.

EDIT: I also am OOS for Texas and want to go to school there or University of Michigan.

Reactions: 1 users
I took the old mcat and used all those old practice exams. They are literally all broken up in the question and section banks. The qbank cars is exactly what the verbal looked like on the real deal and the BB/CP section banks are identical to the old mcat in terms of the passages. AAMC changed the questions a bit to emphasize Biochem and experimental analysis, however.

The more practice the better, it would seem (depending, of course, on your time frames).