Old Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I include the old committee letter?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

paimei42

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non trad 5-6 years out of undergrad and am in the process of reapplying. The first time I applied in the end of undergrad, my school offered a committee letter that I was told was quite good. The school also sends out the letters and the committee write a bit ranking you. Since then the advising budget has been cut and the school no longer offers committee letters but offers to make letter packets instead. My adviser recommends that I get new letters from professors, research mentors, etc which I will do but says she is understandably unable to redate the letter. However she is willing to send the older committee letter, though they believe it isn't of much value. What are people's thoughts on this? Should I send the committee letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a non trad 5-6 years out of undergrad and am in the process of reapplying. The first time I applied in the end of undergrad, my school offered a committee letter that I was told was quite good. The school also sends out the letters and the committee write a bit ranking you. Since then the advising budget has been cut and the school no longer offers committee letters but offers to make letter packets instead. My adviser recommends that I get new letters from professors, research mentors, etc which I will do but says she is understandably unable to redate the letter. However she is willing to send the older committee letter, though they believe it isn't of much value. What are people's thoughts on this? Should I send the committee letter?
I think I'd include the old letter. While it is aged, it's supposedly a positive letter and it's something that you already have access to. New letters would be difficult to attain; some professors wouldn't remember you well enough to write a strong letter, some professors may be hard to find, and others might be uncomfortable writing one at all. Unless you had a particularly strong relationship to a person who will definitely remember you and write a good letter, I'd say just use the old one.

I think I'd include the old letter. While it is aged, it's supposedly a positive letter and it's something that you already have access to. New letters would be difficult to attain; some professors wouldn't remember you well enough to write a strong letter, some professors may be hard to find, and others might be uncomfortable writing one at all. Unless you had a particularly strong relationship to a person who will definitely remember you and write a good letter, I'd say just use the old one.

I'm not worried about getting new letters. The professors were enthusiastic about rewriting/updating them and we have generally kept in touch. My question is more should I send the committee letter in addition to the updated letters or allow them to stand on their own more.

I'm not worried about getting new letters. The professors were enthusiastic about rewriting/updating them and we have generally kept in touch. My question is more should I send the committee letter in addition to the updated letters or allow them to stand on their own more.
Nah, if you're able to get new good letters then those are fine.

Reactions: 1 user