Old Fogie's: Where you from & Where ya going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WOW!

I'm a non-trad (very proud to say that my MCAT score beat my age of 31. That was my goal) and have had my share of trials, but some of you folks are amazing! What inspirational stories. I just spent the last 45 minutes here at work reading this thread!

My Quick(edit - not so quick) Story:

Lucky kid to be raised by a great Mom & Dad who made sure to send me off to college. I did OK, but never learned to study. I wanted to be a doc, but was always afraid to commit myself. I found passion in other things like research and the world. After graduation I worked a bit then took a dive into the unknown. I joined the Peace Corps and spent 2 years in Africa as a volunteer. Everywhere I looked people were dying of AIDS. My best friend
died 2 weeks after I left Africa. It shook my view of the world, people, and what's important. I came back to the US and found myself the father of a beautiful boy. Unfortunately, his mother and I weren't and wouldn't be married. I've spent the last few years working to support my son and see him as much as I can (not easy when his mom decided to move them across the country to go to nursing school). I spent a couple years depressed by the fact that I wasn't the father (and man) I'd hoped I could be. I was spinning my wheels. One day, a good friend said, "bdt, everytime you talk about your life, you've got this far off look in your eyes. Like there's something you'd rather be doing" and that was it. No more spinning my wheels. I called my folks and said, "I think I'm gonna try to be a doc!" I called my son's mom and told her and she said, "Finally! you shoulda done it years ago" It's the only way I can combine the science geek and the peace corps volunteer. So I started working and studying (Luckily my job has kept my in science). Took the MCAT in April, put in my AMCAS....I received my first acceptance 2 weeks ago.

That's the short/long of it for me. Not nearly the hurdles a lot of you have been through, but it's cathardic to finally write it out (never said much about myself on the forums before).

Like I said at the start. Ya'll are inspirational. I hope to meet some of you in school.

Good Luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, BDT!

I've enjoyed reading all of your stories and they've inspired me, too. So I guess it's only fair that I share mine. I've told some of it already in other places, but here's the longer version:

I was a high school gunner, the kind of kid who takes all AP classes and volunteers and everything else. I graduated with straight As as the class valedictorian at the age of 17 and everyone was constantly telling me that I could do anything I wanted to do. I was eager to go to college, because I'd spent the summer before my senior year at a program for high school kids who were interested in science, where I got to take college classes and work in a lab, and I'd loved it. Having to go back to high school for another year was depressing. I decided to attend a small, liberal arts school where there were no grades and no GPAs because I was sick of the competitiveness and pettiness at my high school. It was so bad that even some of the teachers got involved in trying to affect the outcome of the valedictorianship. Luckily for me, they weren't successful. :eek:

My dad is a family doctor and since I was interested in science, he was hoping I'd go into medicine. I took all of the pre-med courses and also the MCAT. I scored a 34, and applied to three schools: two state schools and Yale. Both state schools interviewed me: one waitlisted me and the other accepted me. Yale wrote to me about a year later to inform me that I was rejected. By then I had already decided to go to graduate school.

Going to grad school was almost an accident. I was engaged to a guy I had met in college, and he wanted to take the GRE. So I went with him, and I took it, too. I scored 1420, applied to one school, and was accepted. He did not get in at any of our state schools, but he did get in at the same school where I got into grad school, so I went to grad school and turned down med school.

I was in a program for Pharmaceutical Design, and it was really interesting. While I was there, I learned about MSTPs, and tried to transfer in to the one at my school. They did interview me, but at the end of the day, the Dean of the medical school told me that they felt it would be best if I finished my PhD first and then applied to med school. Apparently there had been some problems with students in the MSTP dropping their graduate work and just going straight MD. So I continued on with the PhD.

About halfway through, I broke up with the guy. We were common law married by that point, but never officially. I got engaged to a second guy within six months. This turned out to be a huge mistake; he was abusive, and I had to drop out of school and move back home for a while. I worked for a semester and then went back to grad school. My dad had again tried to talk me into medical school, but I wasn't really interested in it at the time because I felt very depressed about quitting my program and having now screwed up with two engagements. In grad school I decided to try natural products chemistry. This turned out to be disastrous also; not only was I not very well trained for this field, I also didn't enjoy the work very much. At the same time, I started living with a third guy whom I'd met in college. He turned out to be mentally ill, and I finally was able to get rid of him, but it took several calls to the police and help from the victim's advocate at my school.

I decided not to get involved in any more serious relationships and to concentrate on finishing my degree. I quit the natural products lab and joined a pharmaceutical chemistry lab instead. This lab was much more along the lines of my training and interests, and I will finally be graduating in August or December of next year.

Over the summer, I started studying for the MCAT like crazy. I hadn't looked at physics or physiology in over a decade. I was teaching Kaplan MCAT and DAT courses four to five days per week, working in the lab, and studying on my own time on the weekends. It was absolute insanity, but it worked. I retook the MCAT this past August and ended up with a 43.

I plan to apply for fall 2006 and I am shadowing an anesthesiologist, since this is a field that requires a good background in chemistry. He is an MD/PhD like I'd like to be, only his degree is in pharmacology instead of chemistry. My dad is probably even more excited about my wanting to go to med school than I am, and that is saying a lot, because I finally feel like I am really ready to go to med school. Having the aptitude is important, but having the will is more important.

Good luck to all of you other nontraditionals. I hope everyone will keep posting updates to let us all know how you're doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, Q!

That's my timeframe, too, although I think we'll have different application targets. Do you think the fact that you rejected an acceptance before will affect anything?

Graduated college in 1986 in engineering. Always interested in medicine, though. Finally decided to make a run at the dream after the birth of our first child. It was
a total train wreck and the OB saved my wife and son's lives. I started thinking about other family members that had been given second chances due to medical intervention. I realized I wanted to do it not just for the challenge, but for the satisfaction of doing something that matters.

I never took Bio or Organic Chem in college, so for the last year I've been taking classes at night and studying for the MCAT while working full time during the day. Took the MCAT for the first (and only) time this past August, got the score I wanted (13v 10p 10b) since I felt I had to make up for 3.1 overall, (3.6 science though) in college. Interviewed at my state school 3 weeks ago, received the acceptance letter 10 days later!

And so, next August, at the tender age of 40 years old, I will be a first-year medical student!

Additional info - it's an allopathic school, not that that matters to me. Of the 2 Bio and 2 Org Chem classes I was lacking, I only took 2 of them before applying. I'm in the second Bio 2 now. Doing the second Orgo next semester. And all at a community college. But I did have stellar LOR's from school, work, and hospital volunteering. No research.

MoosePilot said:
Good luck, Q!

That's my timeframe, too, although I think we'll have different application targets. Do you think the fact that you rejected an acceptance before will affect anything?

You mean from my side or theirs? I think from my side, no. I don't hold a grudge. :laugh: From their side, I'm not sure they'll even know unless they specifically ask me, because it's been so long now. I applied the first time for the class of 1997 so it will have been 9 years. Even if they do know, I think they'll basically be looking to see whether I'm serious this time. And I am. The factors that existed in my life then were very different than they are now, because my priorities have changed. I'm really going to go this time, and I'm not willing to derail or postpone my plans for a relationship anymore, especially because my track record of picking guys has been less than stellar. :p What are you looking to do, Moose? Where do you plan to apply? You might have already answered this, and if so, I apologize for asking again.

QofQuimica said:
You mean from my side or theirs? I think from my side, no. I don't hold a grudge. :laugh: From their side, I'm not sure they'll even know unless they specifically ask me, because it's been so long now. I applied the first time for the class of 1997 so it will have been 9 years. Even if they do know, I think they'll basically be looking to see whether I'm serious this time. And I am. The factors that existed in my life then were very different than they are now, because my priorities have changed. I'm really going to go this time, and I'm not willing to derail or postpone my plans for a relationship anymore, especially because my track record of picking guys has been less than stellar. :p What are you looking to do, Moose? Where do you plan to apply? You might have already answered this, and if so, I apologize for asking again.

AMCAS does ask. That's why I wondered.

I don't mind talking about me :laugh:

I was originally only going to apply to USUHS, but now I'm going to add Univ. of OK, OSU-COM, AZCOM, and perhaps some others. I'm considering throwing in a couple of absolute reach schools, just because I can afford the fees. The military has told me they'll support my application next year, so that's going to help. I want to do as well as I possibly can, so I leave as many options open possible. Right now, I'm leaning towards EM, because I like general medicine, the possibility of doing some procedures, and the shift work aspects. I might also look at getting into the pilot physician program in the AF, where I split my time between flying and being a flight surgeon. I've got lots of time to figure it all out :laugh:

Hi. Newly registered on SDN, though I've been reading for a while.

OK - agewise, I probably would be laughed at you guys. I'm 26. But considering experience, I'm pretty much a non-trad. Graduated high school in 95 with ambitions towards medicine. Got married in 96 (18 years old). Was extremely unsure of myself and decided to just finish my degree as quickly as possible (98 - BS Biochem, chem minor) and see what was what. Did research in biochem for about 1.5 years. Hated it. Decided to go into teaching instead, but gave myself a safety by getting a MS in Chemistry (2001) (That and high school certification to teach chemistry took 1.5 years). Have been teaching high school since fall of 2001.

Hubby and I have now been married through 8 years and have built the kind of lives for ourselves that you would only expect if we were about 8 years older. We moved to St. Louis, got pregnant, got HIGHLY disenchanted with the public education system, started considering options. Dad finally suggested that I think about medicine again. I started studying for the April MCAT (while working full-time as a teacher) and realized that I'm ready for the challenge. I took the MCAT 7 months pregnant (I looked full-term. The proctors didn't give me any trouble about bringing a water bottle and a pillow). Got my results about 2 weeks after Anand was born - 37R! Definitely a sign that med school was a strong option.

OK. Here's the nutty part. Hubby and I have stakes here, so I only applied to 2 schools - SLU and Wash U. (I can just hear the other applicants whistling in disbelie :oops: f) I've interviewed at both. Been wait-listed at SLU and waiting to hear from Wash U. Could use any encouragement in that regard. I REALLY want to go there.

Anjani :oops: :)

Good luck, Anjani!

Was a mediocre HS student with a case for wanderlust and a desire to travel thus entered the Navy as a nuke technician. All I could think about for those salty years steaming along in the high seas was college and medical school. Lacking confidence, I confided in a few of my shipmates who scoffed at the idea of me becoming a doctor. Believing this, I choose to pursue int'l relations and army rotc at UCLA.
Re-entered active duty in 2003 and headed off for flight school. Recently I was diagnosed with high blood pressure that would've required a medical waiver to continue training, I opted to rebranch in hopes of getting medical service corps as a means to build up a resume and get exposure to the field of medicine--I'm still waiting for the board results.
Fast forward 2 years and 8 months from now:formal postbac program at the young age of 33. My days are spent lurking on this forum and the old premeds website. Reading through all of the success stories and roadless travelled, I am left inspired and motivated to embark on the long, frustrating journey of premedome. Thanks for sharing your unique story!

man, some of these stories really tug at my emotions...

feel like i should share too...but can't find the right words to tell it properly. suffice it to say that like many of you, i'm coming back to a dream that got derailed by life circumstances. i applied as a "traditional" student years ago but couldn't go because i needed to take care of my family. it's been a tough few years, had to work hard to make ends meet financially and had a lot ups and downs with my parents' health...but then the clouds parted just when i was losing hope that i'd ever make it back to a career that mattered to me. and suddenly all the people that love me were telling me that i could still do it, that i had to do it...and here i am, applying. my parents are both in stable condition and i somehow saved enough to see them through the years that i won't be earning.

i can't begin to explain what a gift it is to come back to medicine now, but i'm sure you guys will relate. i've had a seemingly successful career in another field and though i'm so glad it let me take care of my family, i've been utterly miserable in a job that doesn't mean anything to me.

though i'm not in yet and in my moments of doubt, i have so many worries about how i'll manage my responsibilities in the next few years, there are these moments now when i remember that i'm actually, finally, going to be a doctor, and this ridiculous warm glow of happiness spreads through me. sometimes i even start laughing out loud :) it's such an awesome feeling.

i'd do it all again the same way -- it's all about delayed gratification, right?

guess i found the words ;)

oldntired said:
..... Fast forward 2 years and 8 months from now:formal postbac program at the young age of 33. My days are spent lurking on this forum and the old premeds website. Reading through all of the success stories and roadless travelled, I am left inspired and motivated to embark on the long, frustrating journey of premedome. Thanks for sharing your unique story!
Thanks for sharing your story. I never realized there were so many of us, and finding that out has been a source of strength for me. It all started (for me) as a half ass stab at finding others like me during MCAT season this past April by starting this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=121922&highlight=pre-meds I had no idea that there would be so many responses. And I've made some great friends on this site, too. :love:

ambaduchi said:
.... there are these moments now when i remember that i'm actually, finally, going to be a doctor, and this ridiculous warm glow of happiness spreads through me. sometimes i even start laughing out loud :) it's such an awesome feeling.;)
You, too? I start singing for no reason, or skipping through campus. People think I'm nuts; I'm just happy. :laugh: