Old IMG low scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abii12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I need some guidance (and advice) from folks who have a better idea about this situation.

My wife is interested in pediatrics. She is an older IMG (graduated in 2004) and passed all the USMLE steps with some difficulty: (Step 1-191 (3rd attempt), Step 2-187 (1st attempt) and passed step 2 CK in 1 attempt. She has also passed her step 3 and has some research publications and abstract (combined 8). She has worked for Cerner EMR and also has an MBA. I personally don't like excuses for low scores but it was a rough transition to the US then. I have no doubt she can be a great resident but that's my opinion....

Being in the system myself, I understand how challenging this can be for any PD to consider. We have discussed other specialties but she seems to really like Peds and this has been re-affirmed on her current observership (at least 2 months). She will be limited to Chicago area programs since my job will most likely be there. Since I am not that familiar with how the Peds match works and what PDs may be looking for, I wanted to reach out to folks who may have a better and inside knowledge of Chicago area programs

1. Is there a chance she can match into one of the programs in the area?
2. Any recs on what else she can do to improve her application, if any?
3. Other thoughts?

While I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion, I will prefer that it be based on some form of first hand experience.

I apologize if my question sounds way too familiar and there are already pre-existing threads. Please feel free to redirect me. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am an IMG and have been through the match for peds last year, I may not be able to predict what her chances looks like, but at least I can give you a picture of what that match looks like.

Obviously her application have the following downsides:
1- Despite that her scores are low with many attempts, both scores are below the current passing score.
2- Being an old IMG.. although this one may not be significant, but it is still downside, by the way.. does she needs visa? if she does, that will complicate things even more.

That being said, the BIGGEST downside in her application IMO is that she is limited to programs in Chicago. There are 6 pediatrics programs in Chicago area, I know that 3 of them are very competitive for IMGs ( I am almost sure that they have not taken any IMG in the past 5 years), one is somehow competitive but known to have IMGs, the last two are very known of taking a lot of IMGs.

IMO, she needs to do two things:
1- She have to address very well in her application what are they reasons behind these scores and why she waited 10 years to think about applying?
2- Someone has to advocate for her, and by that I mean someone who knows her well in the clinical field have to pick up the phone can call one of the programs above and explain that despite of everything she had in the past, she will be a fantastic pediatrician. They may invite her for the interview (especially if they know the caller). Despite all of that, her chances remains low, but of course have to apply, at the end.. no one knows!!

Good luck.

Hi,

I am an IMG and have been through the match for peds last year, I may not be able to predict what her chances looks like, but at least I can give you a picture of what that match looks like.

Obviously her application have the following downsides:
1- Despite that her scores are low with many attempts, both scores are below the current passing score.
2- Being an old IMG.. although this one may not be significant, but it is still downside, by the way.. does she needs visa? if she does, that will complicate things even more.

That being said, the BIGGEST downside in her application IMO is that she is limited to programs in Chicago. There are 6 pediatrics programs in Chicago area, I know that 3 of them are very competitive for IMGs ( I am almost sure that they have not taken any IMG in the past 5 years), one is somehow competitive but known to have IMGs, the last two are very known of taking a lot of IMGs.

IMO, she needs to do two things:
1- She have to address very well in her application what are they reasons behind these scores and why she waited 10 years to think about applying?
2- Someone has to advocate for her, and by that I mean someone who knows her well in the clinical field have to pick up the phone can call one of the programs above and explain that despite of everything she had in the past, she will be a fantastic pediatrician. They may invite her for the interview (especially if they know the caller). Despite all of that, her chances remains low, but of course have to apply, at the end.. no one knows!!

Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think you do make good points. She has applied in the past when we initially got here but no luck (we were on the East Coast then). Even though she does not need a visa (we are permanent residents), I'm not really sure how much that impacts anything.

Will plan to give it a shot, as long as there is some chance.

Hi,

I am an IMG (2012 grad) who was not able to pass step 1 in the first attempt. I got into an MPH program and have recently graduated. I also completed 5 months of observership and got 1 publication in an indexed journal and 2 abstracts accepted at international conferences. I will now retake step 1 and am looking forward to further strengthen my application for the 2017 match. I am interested in Pediatrics and would like to ask if there are any non-ACGME accredited (Pediatric or related) fellowships that I could apply to and get into, to bridge the 2 years' gap before I (hopefully) match. Or, is there anything else I could do that will help me to match, besides a non-ACGME accredited fellowship?

Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: