Old Incompletes on Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SevoInduction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I did really poorly my first attempt at college over 14 years ago... and one quarter, for personal reasons, I left school in the middle of a quarter.

I was given incompletes for the four classes I was taking, and although I believe my school's policy at the time was to convert IN grades over to the grade I had at the time I left the course, my transcript is still showing IN for my grades.

The problem is, they are counting the quarter as attempted GPA hours, which essentially is giving me four Fs. That would make my GPA at the time a 1.57. Without this quarter, it's a 2.27 (or something close), which I know is horrible, but it's a helluva lot better than a 1.57.

I've got a 4.0 now, however I'm afraid AMCAS will compute these old incompletes as Fs, since my transcript is showing Earned hours: 0 and Attempted hours: 11.99 for that quarter.

Nothing on the transcript says I/F, or that the grade has been changed to an F. It just shows IN.

Does anyone know how this will get calculated? It's alot easier for me to get up to the 3.5-3.6 range if it's computed as a 2.27...

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions080409.pdf

Go to .pdf page 15 (document page 7)

It looks like it depends on how your school coded it. It may be treated as an F or dropped.

My guess is you can call up the school with the incomplete and have them resolve it. Hopefully they can drop it or code it as a "W". I am not sure though. Maybe someone who has had this happen to them can comment further.

When I applied to massage school, and to my currentschool for undergrad, I had actually been kicked out of school once for academic reasons.

Massage school I got a 3.3 working 60 hours a week, and going to school 40. Not too bad. I really tried. I even took a practical final with pneumonia and ears so clogged I couldn't hear my instructor who was my practical final therapist. I never missed a class or a day of work.
We also were required to do 5 hours a week in study lab for massage school the first to terms, a lot of people failed out because they never showed for study lab. You were allowed to miss one week. And if you failed the study lab or any class you you repeated the whole term. I made sure not to fail.

So what do your transcirpts show now? Massage school started with 40 of us. 8 managed to actually graduate.

I also did one more course at a community college after that.

I explained myself on my application, and showed how I had grown as a person with the comparison between my grades in my late teens and early 20s to now at almost 30.

I know med schools are tougher, but I think that you should be able to show the difference in the type of student you were, and through LORs I had5 LORs to get into my undergrad.

I don't know how much time is passed for you, but I know it's possible, and if you show initiative, and just go for it I am sure it's completely possible. I know grades are important for med school, but I also know this if your grades were the utmost sum of you, they made you as a person, then......well that would be a sad thing.

I can't advise on med school, but I can advise on what I know from my past and current experiences.

I think if you can show a genuine turn around in your academics, you might be forgiven, and it might be seen you were just doing things that were a terrible fit for you.

A

So, I did really poorly my first attempt at college over 14 years ago... and one quarter, for personal reasons, I left school in the middle of a quarter.

I was given incompletes for the four classes I was taking, and although I believe my school's policy at the time was to convert IN grades over to the grade I had at the time I left the course, my transcript is still showing IN for my grades.

The problem is, they are counting the quarter as attempted GPA hours, which essentially is giving me four Fs. That would make my GPA at the time a 1.57. Without this quarter, it's a 2.27 (or something close), which I know is horrible, but it's a helluva lot better than a 1.57.

I've got a 4.0 now, however I'm afraid AMCAS will compute these old incompletes as Fs, since my transcript is showing Earned hours: 0 and Attempted hours: 11.99 for that quarter.

Nothing on the transcript says I/F, or that the grade has been changed to an F. It just shows IN.

Does anyone know how this will get calculated? It's alot easier for me to get up to the 3.5-3.6 range if it's computed as a 2.27...

This was the exact same thing that I did 13 years ago. Only mine did turn into 4 Fs. I went back to school in 2002 with a 0.67 GPA. I to made all A's with the exception of 3 Bs in non-science classes throughout the remainder of my college career. I ended up with an AMCAS AO of 3.62 and AMCAS BCMP of 3.75. My interviewers briefly asked about it--I gave the "I was young and stupid" answer--and that was that. Accepted Class of 2014!

Reactions: 1 user