Old lady, old classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I feel like a re-introduction is probably in order. I've been a member of this board forever, but I've been away for years because at some point a few years ago, I decided to stop pursuing medicine. Wasn't a conscious decision really. I have a not great gpa. I graduated in 2004, and then I bought a house and had a kid... then I took the MCAT and didn't do very well (25). I got a job as a clinical research coordinator in the surgery department at a big urban hospital, and I've recently made director. I'm 39, and I have a husband and a house and a 2 year old.

But then... it started all over again, that pull. Probably because I work closely with a bunch of surgeons who tell me every single day that I need to go to medical school, because I'm too smart for my current position. So, I'm starting to study for the MCAT again, and this time, it just seems a lot easier. I swear to god, I'm smarter since I had the baby.

But as I pull all of my textbooks out, I'm starting to think about how long it's been since I took these classes. Some of them, like general chemisty, I took 12 years ago! So my question is: do classes age out like MCAT scores?

Thanks!

S.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I feel like a re-introduction is probably in order. I've been a member of this board forever, but I've been away for years because at some point a few years ago, I decided to stop pursuing medicine. Wasn't a conscious decision really. I have a not great gpa. I graduated in 2004, and then I bought a house and had a kid... then I took the MCAT and didn't do very well (25). I got a job as a clinical research coordinator in the surgery department at a big urban hospital, and I've recently made director. I'm 39, and I have a husband and a house and a 2 year old.

But then... it started all over again, that pull. Probably because I work closely with a bunch of surgeons who tell me every single day that I need to go to medical school, because I'm too smart for my current position. So, I'm starting to study for the MCAT again, and this time, it just seems a lot easier. I swear to god, I'm smarter since I had the baby.

But as I pull all of my textbooks out, I'm starting to think about how long it's been since I took these classes. Some of them, like general chemisty, I took 12 years ago! So my question is: do classes age out like MCAT scores?

Thanks!

S.
As far as I know the simple answer is NO...

Good luck!

Thanks!

S.

you are NOT OLD lol... I bet your a MILK lol Kiss instead F&&&:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome back. Go get 'em.

Some schools expire prereqs, some don't. I'd say most don't. UMass does at 6 years; that's my stock anecdote.

The general SDN consensus is that if you have old prereqs, you need to (a) demonstrate with the MCAT that you are still functional, and (b) take some new upper div science to demonstrate that you're current. (You know, the genome was sequenced within the last 12 years and whatnot.) Worked for me.

Best of luck to you.

Determine your current overall and BCPM gpas.
Especially look at your grades in the prereqs.
If any are lower than a C, retake.

Individual schools will determine if you need to retake old classes. Contact all of the schools you will be applying to and find out the answer.

As drmidlife said, you may want to take some upper levels, to show recent academic history. I agree, but if the prereqs were taken 10+ years ago, make sure you brush up on all of this material before doing so. As someone who has a lower gpa, it would be disastrous to take some more classes and not do well in them. I'm usually in favor of a more conservatve approach. I'd say to retake the prereqs before moving on to upper levels. This will help prepare you for the MCAT as well. If you end up applying to DO schools, it will also help to boost your GPA as they will only look at the most recent grade.

Good :luck:

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I think what I'm going to do is call everywhere that I'm thinking of applying and just ask. I just called UCSF, and the very nice lady there said she didn't think so, but... maybe I should write them an email, just in case. She did ask some questions about whether or not I've been taking classes recently (I have).

I feel 2 ways about retaking some of these classes. On the one hand, it would be hard to retake general chemisty with lab, timewise. (This is the class I took 12 years ago). I have to work, and I work a lot, plus the kid, etc. On the other hand, I got a C in both gen chem 101A and 101B, so it would be nice to show them that I can do better.

Anyhoo, I'll let you guys know what the responses are from these various schools. Thanks for your help!

S.

I was in a similar position when I applied last year with some pre req's close to 12 years old. I called around however in quite a few cases, the schools that said they wanted recent pre req's invited me for interviews/accepted me, and those that said it didn't matter, didn't. The exception was schools that had a clear policy posted on their website. I really think it is done on a case by case basis. I did take a biochem class in the fall of my application year just to show that I could still tackle upper level science classes.

My med school accepted my credits for Advanced Placement Biology from 17 years prior. My chemistry class was 14 years old, etc. But, I got a very good MCAT score, so I think the key is to concentrate on studying for the MCAT- take one of the review courses and good luck!

I've read and heard different things from different schools regarding adequacy of older coursework, some schools are looking for evidence of RECENT academic success, my suggestion is to call each school that you're looking at and asking them, probably in another month (around May) things should be pretty quiet in general. Admissions offices have been very open and friendly in general, I've spoken with quite a few (as a reapplicant for 2009 admission).

As a general comment, I've found pretty major discrepancies between written (Aamcas) information regarding what a school "wants", and information provided by the Dean of Admissions, i.e. one state school "accepts" out of state applicants, but per an admissions rep, they truly only consider "out of state" applicants currently residing in that state.. call the schools!

You're a young whippersnapper.

Oh, and off the beaten topic, I noticed your location and I have a friend about your age with children who will be starting law school at Berkeley in the fall.

Is it as nice there as I hear?

I am matriculating this fall and had prereq's dating back to 1987! My most recent prereq was in 2000. I agree with previous posters that it depends on the program. Duke, for instance, expires prereqs after 6 years, but many programs do not. I took the Kaplan review course to prepare for the MCAT and I did well. It took a lot of studying - a lot of the details had escaped my consciousness, but I was able to retrieve them with diligent studying.

Additionally, I have always enjoyed learning and have taken several college courses since 2000 (mostly Psychology), and took Biochem this past fall.

My one addition to what others have said is just MHO...I believe if you have a program that says they don't expire them (that is, they don't think it's a problem) - then you should behave like it's not a problem. Write your personal statement explaining your "journey" and the pull of medicine. (I am also 39 with two boys, 9 and 11.) I wrote about how I've wanted to be a dr. since I was 12, but life just happened. I got an engineering degree in 92 and have been working my way back to medicine ever since. It was heartfelt and true. My interviewers all said they thought my PS was very interesting.

So, if you believe you can do it - you can! Go for it!!!!

You guys are fabulous! Sorry I haven't replied sooner - work, sick kid, studying for the MCAT (and by the way, Gen. Chem makes me want to become an alcoholic) have made my internet time somewhat limited.

It's good to hear some of your stories. I can't afford a prep class this time, so I'm studying on my own. I have to say, this is tough sometimes. Hearing that others have pulled it off gives me some motivation, though.

Berkeley is, overall, a lovely place to live. The people get on my nerves sometimes, but they're benign for the most part. Word of advice: Don't bottle feed in public, unless you don't mind strangers coming up to you and letting you know that breast-feeding is best. 'Nuff said.

Thanks again,

S.

PS: UCSF does not mind old pre-reqs.

Aforementioned friend is totally AP, flip the tit, cosleep, gentle discipline.

She belongs in Berkeley.

Aforementioned friend is totally AP, flip the tit, cosleep, gentle discipline.

She belongs in Berkeley.

Yes, yes she does. :laugh: We're doing a modified AP, I just couldn't breast feed from the breast. I bottle-fed pumped breastmilk. So imagine my... um... irritation at being lectured in a cafe on how my child would be stupid and have a weak jaw, having just spent 1/2 hour doing my best impression of Bessie the Cow. :mad: But this is a different topic for a different day. Have her PM me if she wants an insta-friend here!

S.