Old LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdial

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the window of hope is pretty much closed for me this year and I'm preparing for next cycle. My biggest concern is updated LOR. I can get updated ones from the dentists I've continued to shadow but my 2 science letters will be from last year. I could possibly reach out to them again and see if they'd be willing to re write it but I graduated in July of 2011 and haven't been in touch since then. What's the best route to take? Submit the old ones or try to get current ones?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

just submit the old ones. even adcoms don't read all the the LORs. They skim through them. All that really matters is that you have LORs and that you know nothing negative was written about you. Goodluck this cycle!

just submit the old ones. even adcoms don't read all the the LORs. They skim through them. All that really matters is that you have LORs and that you know nothing negative was written about you. Goodluck this cycle!

How can you submit the old ones though? I will have to ask the same professors to submit the old letter again? Or will they still be on the AADSAS portal when I begin my new app?

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools require new letters. esp U of MN.

Sorry for the hijack, if I have so offended the OP I'll make a new thread instead.

Actually I am in the same position. My letters are from December 2010 or April 2011. My Dentist LOR and work LOR are definitely going to be May 2012, but the rest are difficult to update. I have all my letters in the Berkeley Letter service and I was hoping to just get the letter service send them over to AADSAS. Would that be feasible? Would I be better off not using my 2010 LORs?

Sorry for the hijack, if I have so offended the OP I'll make a new thread instead.

Actually I am in the same position. My letters are from December 2010 or April 2011. My Dentist LOR and work LOR are definitely going to be May 2012, but the rest are difficult to update. I have all my letters in the Berkeley Letter service and I was hoping to just get the letter service send them over to AADSAS. Would that be feasible? Would I be better off not using my 2010 LORs?

my dentist letter is from 09..i hope it'll be ok. but as long as you haven't read the letters, as per that waiver thing that you have to sign, i think you'll be ok.

minnesota is the only school that i saw that required "updated" letters. does anyone know of any other schools that require this?

All my letters are confidential except for my research letter. It was written by my PI about whom I would write a good one (He did and I feel terrible now for suspecting him but that is another story). I am not going to apply to Minnesota so not a problem for me.

Hijack away. Sounds like we have pretty much the same situation. I just wasn't sure what schools want up to date letters or if it even mattered. All mine are confidential as well so it sounds like most schools aren't too worried about when they were written.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app