Old MCAT Acceptable for 2017?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindzo123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obligatory apology if this question has been asked. I know there's been discussion about this for MD schools, but I was unable to find it for DO schools.

I took the MCAT in early summer of 2014 and scored a 32. I won't get into why I was unable to apply to the 2016 cycle - just some family things came up that made me divert all my savings to them instead of the application. Now, however, I'm making some plans to start rolling for the 2017 application come April.

Has anyone heard anything definitive (for better or worse) about the old MCAT for DO & 2017? Obviously, it'd be nice to hang onto that old score for one more cycle instead of prepping for the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obligatory apology if this question has been asked. I know there's been discussion about this for MD schools, but I was unable to find it for DO schools.

I took the MCAT in late summer of 2014 and scored a 32. I won't get into why I was unable to apply to the 2016 cycle - just some family things came up that made me divert all my savings to them instead of the application. Now, however, I'm making some plans to start rolling for the 2017 application come April.

Has anyone heard anything definitive (for better or worse) about the old MCAT for DO & 2017? Obviously, it'd be nice to hang onto that old score for one more cycle instead of prepping for the new MCAT.

I'm actually in a similar situation to you. I took mine early summer 2014 and got the same score as you. Anyways, it's not 100%, but if you take a look at the CIB, schools will list what is the oldest MCAT date they will accept. If you add one year to that, you have a good guess of what their policy will be the next year. Many schools have a specific cutoff month, so what month you took the MCAT may make a difference. If you took it in August or Sept or later, those seem to be the best months. The following 4 schools have the fastest approaching MCAT cutoffs (disclaimer, this isn't official, just my estimate)

AZCOM August 3 years prior to matriculating
NSUCOM August 3 years prior to matriculating
PCOM-PA Aug within three years of the desired date of matriculation
PCOM-GA Aug within three years of the desired date of matriculation

The following should be good to go for the 2016-2017 cycle for you and I. The text in quotations is the current 2015-2016 CIB text with one year added to it.

CCOM
CUSOM "April three years prior to matriculating"
DMUCOM
KCUMB "May 2014"
MUCOM
OU-HCOM
RVUCOM April 2014
UNECOM "2014"
WVSOM "2014"
LECOM "taken within the past 3 years"
LMU DCOM "can be no more than 3 years old"
TouroNY "three years"
UP-KYCOM "MCAT test scores are valid for three years from the original test date"
WCUCOM "MCAT test scores are valid for three years from the original date."
PNWU "June 2014"
TouroNV"June 2014"

Any remaining schools should be good until the 2017-2018 cycle. Hope this helps and sorry if any of my list is confusing.

Reactions: 1 user
So august 2013 seems to be the most stringent requirement, and par for the course, as most other schools including allopathic have a 3 year limit on mcats

Edit-Didn't catch that OP was talking about NEXT cycle. 2014 is right

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's actually August 2014 or sooner.

No, 3 years from matriculation date (August 2016) would be August 2013. (2016 - 3 = 2013)

Edit-My mistake, didn't realize OP was talking about the cycle AFTER the one that just started. You were right @HopefulPilot

Last edited:
Hmm....I've got it, thanks everyone! Fingers crossed that I don't have to take the MCAT again. I actually took it in June (got it mixed up with something else), but that looks like it only cuts away 3-4. (Sucks about NSUCOM though; I had family who live nearby).

Also, @pericardium, thanks for introducing me to the CIB.