old MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realfriend

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question concerns the MCAT before 1991:

1.) I heard there were 6 sections--is that right?

2.) If so, what were they?

3.) How many passages per section?

4.) How much time per section?

5.) What was the highest possible score?

6.) How do scores before 1991 compare to those after 1991? For example, how does an 10 or 11 in 1988 compare to a 10 or 11 in 2002?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by realfriend
6.) How do scores before 1991 compare to those after 1991? For example, how does an 10 or 11 in 1988 compare to a 10 or 11 in 2002?

The scales were different, thats about all I know.

I learned this the hard way, by buying an "MCAT prep book" someone was selling. It ends up that it was an Arco book from 1984. I guess I am the one born during my minute.

Anyway, the sections were all scored on a normalized 1-15 scale. The sections were:

• 1. Analytical Reasoning (Graph analysis, etc...)

2. Reading Comprehension (Many support/reffute questions, some with only 3 answer choices)

3. Biology (pure memorization)

4. Chemistry (General and Organic lumped together)

5. Physics

6. Science Problems (not necessarily passages as they are now, but they had an information section followed by three to four questions. Questions in this section counted towards both the SP section and also the science section to which they corresponded).

The practice tests are so EASY, because it is all pure memorization and math. Obviously I didn't do well on the reading comprehension, since I didn't read the flyer carefully before I bought it, when it listed the materials as "slightly old".

I had a professor who took it in the 70's and he said there wasn't an essay section. Man that would be nice, we would have to wait sixty days for the @$#$@%#$#@#$@ing scores.+pissed+