Older Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeNamaMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently stumbled upon an article which discussed age discrimination in Australia. It stated that many people over the age of 40 have a very difficult time find employment. I know if I go to professional(either Dentistry or Medicine) school in Australia I will be in my mid 30's and approaching that dreaded age. Will my age be an issue when seeking employment after finishing school? I know in the States that there are many older medical students and most Americans actually feel more comfortable around older doctors. Is age discrimination a major issue in Australia for physicians and dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JoeNamaMD
I recently stumbled upon an article which discussed age discrimination in Australia. It stated that many people over the age of 40 have a very difficult time find employment. I know if I go to professional(either Dentistry or Medicine) school in Australia I will be in my mid 30's and approaching that dreaded age. Will my age be an issue when seeking employment after finishing school? I know in the States that there are many older medical students and most Americans actually feel more comfortable around older doctors. Is age discrimination a major issue in Australia for physicians and dentists?

First of all, getting a permenant residency after the age of 45 will be impossible, unless you find a job in a really really rural area that is willing to sponsor you. If anything that will be your main hinderance to practicing here.

Considering that it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of age (in relation to employment) and considering that a registrar position is essentially a job... I don't think any healthcare institution would be stupid enough not to employ a well-qualified older candidate unless there was a very good reason.

Besides... I thought 'non-traditional' applicants were all the Politically Correct vogue down under at the moment.