Older Pre-Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelaChanel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im 31 I'll 32 in April and starting Pre-Reqs...How many people here are older like me. Looking for support! Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was 33 when I started pre-reqs in fact it was just about the first time I stepped foot on a college campus... it can be done!

Good Luck

Im 31 I'll 32 in April and starting Pre-Reqs...How many people here are older like me. Looking for support! Thanks!:)

I just turned 33 and just applied, and if I don't get in this year, I'll apply again next year at the age of 34!

Members don't see this ad :)

I will be 32 in April also!! :D However, I applied this year and I am finished with most my pre-req's (2 left that I am doing right now)!! :D I also graduated in December with a BS in Microbiology!! :D Age is not a deterrant!! If this is something you want to do, then go for it!! :D Good luck to you!! :luck:

I'm 25 and starting on the pre-req's/college all together. Was in the military since I was 18 pre-9/11. Never took a single college course but will be going year-round for atleast two years to complete the classes needed for COP.

I start May 15. Can't wait.

I'm not sure if I am as old as you consider. Although I'm sure there are plenty of young people here that started right out of high school. Just glad that I am set on money for atleast 4 years.

GI Bill + Kicker + College Fund. One less thing to stress about.

Good Luck!

I'm 31 years young and just started my prerequisites this semester, its going good so far got A's in all eight of my classes, hoping to apply this fall for next school year where is the question :)

I started my pre-reqs when I was 35 and if all goes to plan, I'll be starting my P1 year just before I turn 38. There are more non-traditional students than you may think, Angela. I have a much different attitude toward my education now than I did when I started college just out of high school (when I got a degree to be a legal secretary). I am much more motivated and committed to my goal now.
Sometimes, it helps to have lived life a little before one finds out what they really want to do in life. :D

There are lots of older students out there. I'm younger but also older, if that makes sense. I'm almost 24 right now, would be 30 or so when I graduate pharm school. My husband wants to be a history teacher, he never got the chance before because he always had to work. He went to college for a year (philosophy major :smuggrin:) but then joined the army and never went back to school. He is going to go back for a teaching degree after I'm done with school. He'll be 40 at that time. We can't afford for him to go while I'm also going and since my income would be able to support us he is going after me.

Point is, age means nothing with this. If it is what you want to do then go for it. :idea:

I'm a proud 31 year old P1. :D I'll be 34 (going on 35) when I graduate in 2011. I agree with the previous poster who said it sometimes helps to have some experiences behind you - for me personally, it has made me even more committed to school.

And as an additional tidbit - our distance class of 2011 has an average age of 31 (ranges from 21 to 58 I think).

Good luck!

30 is not too late. Is it ever to late to get an education, especially the one you're passionate about? If you think it may hinder you getting accepted, do well with your gpa and pcat and it will be a non-issue.

Good luck.

I'll be 34 during P1... no need to worry about age (it might be a slight advantage).

Thanks for the words of encouragement I really needed it. I have two amazing kids and I look at them and see Im certainly not ding this just for me like I would have it I started college out of high school. It does help to have live a bit and settled down a lot! Thanks again everyone...:)

I started my pre-reqs at 39 and I will be beginning my P1 year this fall at 41. You'll be fine. Good luck :luck:.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the words of encouragement I really needed it. I have two amazing kids and I look at them and see Im certainly not ding this just for me like I would have it I started college out of high school. It does help to have live a bit and settled down a lot! Thanks again everyone...:)

Your kids will definitely appreciate your efforts! And don't forget: you will still have about 30 years to work as a pharmacist after you graduate! I'm 31, too.

:thumbup: and :luck:

I'm 31 as well...I've been working as a lab tech doing diabetes research for almost 10 years in the pharmacology dept at UB and finally decided to take the pcat and apply to UB. If anything, I think it helped me to get a bunch of work experience in the field. I have an interview next Friday.

Sigh, you all are making me feel really old. If I get accepted this year, I'll probbly raise the average age for the class by a full year (at least).

Sigh, you all are making me feel really old. If I get accepted this year, I'll probbly raise the average age for the class by a full year (at least).

You and me both.:D But what the heck. You only live once.

I am newly 31 and just started with the math and science pre-reqs (I did all my humanities and liberal arts in the late 90's). I basically see myself doing 2-3 years of part time pre-reqs then apply to Pharm school. I must say its tough juggling school and fulltime work..especially since I have not studied these subjects since HS...but you are NEVER too old to pursue your PASSION! Really, many of us don't know what we want to do in our lives until latw 20's early 30's (quarterlife crisis!!!).

I'm 25, (though I look 19) and I feel like I've been in school FOREVER!! It took me a while to figure out pharmacy was what I want to do, and there were some things that slowed me down, but I'm still in college finishing up my bachelor's in biology. Will apply to pharmacy school at UNC when I'm ready (God knows when).

I'm 25, (though I look 19) and I feel like I've been in school FOREVER!! It took me a while to figure out pharmacy was what I want to do, and there were some things that slowed me down, but I'm still in college finishing up my bachelor's in biology. Will apply to pharmacy school at UNC when I'm ready (God knows when).
And, that makes you 'older'? ;)
Bah, I started my pre-reqs summer 2005, and will turn 48 later this year, I have 3 interviews this year and am hoping that I'll get an acceptance from at least one of them, but after talking to UoP (my 1st choice) about my status, I'm starting to plan on taking the PCAT later this year and line up my re-app for this summer and broaden my range to outside of California.

And, that makes you 'older'? ;)
Bah, I started my pre-reqs summer 2005, and will turn 48 later this year, I have 3 interviews this year and am hoping that I'll get an acceptance from at least one of them, but after talking to UoP (my 1st choice) about my status, I'm starting to plan on taking the PCAT later this year and line up my re-app for this summer and broaden my range to outside of California.

lol, sometimes i feel that way especially when there's so many that got into pharmacy school right after college and they're like, 21! :eek: i'll be 30 or so when i finish pharmacy school :p , definitely not what i had planned. but anyways, good luck with the interviews! I hope you get in UoP !!:)

lol, sometimes i feel that way especially when there's so many that got into pharmacy school right after college and they're like, 21! :eek: i'll be 30 or so when i finish pharmacy school :p , definitely not what i had planned. but anyways, good luck with the interviews! I hope you get in UoP !!:)

I feel you - I am 23 and I feel ancient. Before people start giving me a hard time - I've been going to school for 5.5 years and am sooooooo tired of it. Since I didn't get in this year - that means I'm coming back to take more pre-reqs next year. This means I'll be 24ish - 25 when I start actual pharm school. :eek: I know that sounds very young but I didn't major in anything liberal/socio and went to college straight after HS - so I should be done by now. Most people I went to school with are already either in med school/Ph. D and I feel so left out. :(

ROFL.

For those of you that complain about being in school your whole life, welcome to the real world. Education never ends, at least not if you want to excel and grow in your field; it is a lifelong pursuit.

Not counting the first 4 years of my life, I can count the number of years I haven't been in school, taking at least one class, on one hand. One of my life rules is: 'The minute you stop growing, you start dying.' and personally, I plan to rage against the dying of the light.

SeniorNewbie,
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I feel you - I am 23 and I feel ancient. Before people start giving me a hard time - I've been going to school for 5.5 years and am sooooooo tired of it. Since I didn't get in this year - that means I'm coming back to take more pre-reqs next year. This means I'll be 24ish - 25 when I start actual pharm school. :eek: I know that sounds very young but I didn't major in anything liberal/socio and went to college straight after HS - so I should be done by now. Most people I went to school with are already either in med school/Ph. D and I feel so left out. :(

omigod, i totally know what you mean!! i graduated highschool in 2001, and practically my whole class graduated college 2 or 3 years ago, and some of them are working on their masters, and I'm still doing my undergrad!! one of the guys in my class is already a dentist!! :eek: i didn't go straight to college after highschool, i took a year and half "break", but nevertheless i should be done. it can be really discouraging when you see your class so ahead of you, but at least i know what i want and what i'm passionate about. at the end, I'll get that PharmD, no matter what!!

I will be 34 when I start my P1 this coming August at USN. It is kind of late coming to the program, but looking at the bright side, we will get senior discount on school campus.:love:

omigod, i totally know what you mean!! i graduated highschool in 2001, and practically my whole class graduated college 2 or 3 years ago, and some of them are working on their masters, and I'm still doing my undergrad!! one of the guys in my class is already a dentist!! :eek: i didn't go straight to college after highschool, i took a year and half "break", but nevertheless i should be done. it can be really discouraging when you see your class so ahead of you, but at least i know what i want and what i'm passionate about. at the end, I'll get that PharmD, no matter what!!
ROFL, omigod, like yaknow, i'm so there. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D (just to show you how old I am, I remember when Val-speak was made famous by Moon Unit Zappa's popular song. Yea, I know, Que?)

Anyway, we older applicants need to stick together, we are as much the future of pharmacy as all these whipper snappers running around this forum. Let me hear you say 'yea!'
P-)

ROFL, omigod, like yaknow, i'm so there. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D (just to show you how old I am, I remember when Val-speak was made famous by Moon Unit Zappa's popular song. Yea, I know, Que?)

Anyway, we older applicants need to stick together, we are as much the future of pharmacy as all these whipper snappers running around this forum. Let me hear you say 'yea!'
P-)

I'll send you my reply in PM>

The average age of the entering class at my school is 25-26 and I think that is more and more common throughout professional schools, Vet, Dentistry, Pharm, MD, PA.
There is a fair share of us youngings in the class but I really respect my classmates that are balancing school work, marriage and children. I have enough trouble keeping myself in check.

Don't worry about the whole age thing, personally I enjoy having a class with a diverse age group. Leads to interesting conversations and every once and a while I can drag them out to a concert or the bars to have some fun.

Being older is a definite advantage. I'll be 34 when I start my P1 (my birthday's this Friday!) either at UCSF or Hawai'i-Hilo, and I definitely noticed that my interviews went a lot easier than those who are younger. From what I've heard from friends and other older pre-pharms, most schools think that because you're older, you're more sure of what you want to do, and so when the interview comes, there's an assumption that you know without a doubt that this is what you want. People who are younger definitely get grilled a lot more about their decision to go into pharmacy, and how they know that this is what they want. For both of my interviews at UCSF and Hawai'i, they asked a couple of questions, and I made it clear that I really wanted to be a pharmacist, and the interview became a lot more fun after that. :)

I think the one thing that you'll find about the prereqs (especially if you've had to retake them, like I did) is how incredibly easy these classes are. Since we're older, we're more focused and we know that this is what we want, so it naturally leads us to study harder and take in the information better. I definitely didn't have that discipline before when I was in my late teens and early 20s.

Good luck with doing the prereqs and the app process!

Looks like I touched a nerve with cheburashka.

My sincere apologies if anyone felt offended by my prior remarks. I have a daughter that is older than most of the youngsters around here and I have a hard time thinking of anyone in their 20s as being even remotely 'old.'

Look me up in 20 years and tell me if your view point hasn't changed.

Also, I learned a 'life' rule early on (way back in my teens) that: you need to laugh at yourself before anyone else gets a chance.

i'm also an older pre-pharm student. Married with 3 kids. I have been taking my pre-requisites since 2002. I'm mostly done now. I feel encouraged after reading from y'all. I'm hoping to take the pcat in June again and start applying as soon as possible. Thanks a lot.:)

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged I didn't even start college until 33 now I will be starting pharm ischool in the Fall at 37

I agree with stkyrice interviews did seem to go smoother for us older people .. but hey gotta give it to those early 20ish people for knowing what they want and going after it at a young age !!

Looks like I touched a nerve with cheburashka.

My sincere apologies if anyone felt offended by my prior remarks. I have a daughter that is older than most of the youngsters around here and I have a hard time thinking of anyone in their 20s as being even remotely 'old.'

Look me up in 20 years and tell me if you view point hasn't changed.

Also, I learned a 'life' rule early on (way back in my teens) that: you need to laugh at yourself before anyone else gets a chance.

Like I said in my PM you didn't touch a nerve with me and I have absolutely no negative feelings towards you whatsoever :)luck: I wish you tons of luck and applaud you for going back to school :):):)) I just think that people have different life pace and I at MY pace feel old at 23. Some people just feel that way at a young age - I didn't spend 5 years soul searching or majoring in sociology - I am one of those people that majored in science almost right away. I did excellent in most of my classes especially sciences - so I feel like I should be done by now. Most people I am around are pretty extraordinary - I have friends that graduated HS at like 12 and college by 20 with BS degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. So the point of my post - is that we are all pretty different here on SDN and come from different backgrounds but let's be nice and respectufll to each other w/out sarcasm.

Also like skytrice said - being older may be to your advantage. Not necesserily in terms of studying - there I completely diagree - but yet I am one of those people that can sit down and study pchem for 12 hours without taking a single break. But in terms of schools viewing your decision to go back to school at older age as the one made with commitment and maturity. Some schools like UCSF seem to prefer older applicants - that's what my PI said at least - and she has worked there for a trillion of years.

I'm 38 years old, and will be applying to Pharm School this fall (yeah for TTU!!!) to *hopefully* start Fall 2009. I don't feel too old! I thought about the years it would take, but what else do I have to do? If I don't do this, then 5+ years from now I won't be a pharmacist and I'll be wishing I was.

I looked back at the last 20 years, and I feel like I rushed through them to some goal, and then once achieved there was another. I've decided to enjoy the journey more. So although I'm excited about being a pharmacist, I'm going to try and enjoy the journey of getting there. So what if I'm 43 when I'm a pharmacist? On the other hand, if I let age discourage me, I'll still be 43 at the same time.

So enjoy your time, don't worry about your age, and be proud of yourself no matter what your age!

-------------------------------
"Age is a high price to pay for maturity!"

I just turned 40 last week (ugghh), and this has been an incredibly difficult process. Someone earlier mentioned that the classes were easier for them because they are more disciplined now than when they were at age 20. This is true for me to a certain degree. I am a very serious student; however, with two children, a husband with cancer, a two-hour round-trip drive to school, and a part-time job, my classes have almost felt impossible at times. Do I feel the ultimate goal is worth the sacrifice? ABSOLUTELY!

I do worry some about the pharmacy school workload coming around the bend. I usually take around 13-15 hours a semester and now I will have to take 18 (not even sure if this includes labs). I keep reminding myself that it is no longer necessary to make all A's. My interview with SIUE is in two weeks so this application process is almost over for me, whew, what a ride.

I'm a proud 31 year old P1. :D I'll be 34 (going on 35) when I graduate in 2011. I agree with the previous poster who said it sometimes helps to have some experiences behind you - for me personally, it has made me even more committed to school.

And as an additional tidbit - our distance class of 2011 has an average age of 31 (ranges from 21 to 58 I think).

Good luck!

Oh yeah ajh88, you just HAD to provide an endorsement for the Creighton University School of Pharmacy & Health Professions Distance Program.

:D

Seriously though OP, plenty of people make pharmacy school at a "non-traditional" age. I have multiple classmates nearing the big 3-0.

Like I said in my PM you didn't touch a nerve with me and I have absolutely no negative feelings towards you whatsoever :)luck: I wish you tons of luck and applaud you for going back to school :):):)) I just think that people have different life pace and I at MY pace feel old at 23. Some people just feel that way at a young age - I didn't spend 5 years soul searching or majoring in sociology - I am one of those people that majored in science almost right away. I did excellent in most of my classes especially sciences - so I feel like I should be done by now. Most people I am around are pretty extraordinary - I have friends that graduated HS at like 12 and college by 20 with BS degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. So the point of my post - is that we are all pretty different here on SDN and come from different backgrounds but let's be nice and respectufll to each other w/out sarcasm.

Also like skytrice said - being older may be to your advantage. Not necesserily in terms of studying - there I completely diagree - but yet I am one of those people that can sit down and study pchem for 12 hours without taking a single break. But in terms of schools viewing your decision to go back to school at older age as the one made with commitment and maturity. Some schools like UCSF seem to prefer older applicants - that's what my PI said at least - and she has worked there for a trillion of years.

Hey becareful everyone...this girl will start putting you down because of your age if you put up a thread and she doesnt like it....She will start making fun of you...she is also appears to be a racist towards islanders.....

Hey becareful everyone...this girl will start putting you down because of your age if you put up a thread and she doesnt like it....She will start making fun of you...she is also appears to be a racist towards islanders.....

That's it you ******* - I am reporting you to administration. I should tell how you told me to **** myself in a PM.

I have NOTHING against islanders or older people - I have everything against YOU. I am sick of explaining every word I said because you are too dumb to read between the lines. When I said are you from the island - I meant did you grow up on the isolated island all by yourself or were you raised by wolves that you turned out to be such a jerk ?

Also quit harassing people. YOU are the one who goes to every single thread I posted in/other people posted in and makes completely unrelated comments. Also me getting an F in biochemistry - in your dreams.

That's it you ******* - I am reporting you to administration. I should tell how you told me to **** myself in a PM.

I have NOTHING against islanders or older people - I have everything against YOU. I am sick of explaining every word I said because you are too dumb to read between the lines. When I said are you from the island - I meant did you grow up on the isolated island all by yourself or were you raised by wolves that you turned out to be such a jerk ?

Also quit harassing people. YOU are the one who goes to every single thread I posted in/other people posted in and makes completely unrelated comments. Also me getting an F in biochemistry - in your dreams.

is the tiny baby going to cry..because you started all this..by saying stupid comments...dont worry if you do complain they will see who started all of this...going coo-coo for some coco puffs...

Yazzman is cool and I was reading up on his thread when you barged into a thread that he had started and began saying he is immature for asking that question regarding who much some pharmacist made. What is mature? Who are you to judge if someones immature. It seems like your immature to express your indifferences without considering if he may get offended. If anyone gets in trouble it should be you. I see your from Russian. Maybe you need to take some sensitivity classes and be cool honey bunny. I am just tired of reading people making rude responses or comments, and I thought you was rude. I am almost 33 years old, so if I ask a question and you dont like it are you going to call me immature?

Yazzman, chill out!!!!!!!You flipped out !!!!!! Don't let these youngesters who just were weened of the breast bother you. anymore. They still have their diapers on , and It seem like many of these youngesters still have there mother's breast milk moustache on there upper lip.............:laugh:

I think you should get in trouble. That is my vote.

Howdy everyone

I'm gladdened by this thread. :) I went back to school this semester to start my pre-reqs. I am 38. :oops: I currently have a BA (Liberal Arts) degree, and am a couple years away from my 20 year military retirement (I currently do not work in anything medical related, though I play a patient on TV :laugh:), so will be 42-43 when I actually enter a PharmD program. While I realize the "average age" may be a little younger than I, I am looking forward to it!

And while I usually just lurk and learn, and tend to ignore the "urinary olympics" that occur online, I had to comment that I don't know why yazzman seems to be so upset/uptight. I've noticed a couple of threads where you seem to be bashing cheburashka, and I honestly can't see why. Seems to this old-timer that something got taken the wrong way or a bit to personally...? She's a lady and deserving of some respect. (Yeah, I'm old-fashioned...lol) But for those of us who come here to learn, the flameage is starting to drown out the real signal at times.

To quote a crummy old quote: can't we all just get along?

Anywhoo...back to lurk mode!

peace,
Zoomie

Yazzman is cool and I was reading up on his thread when you barged into a thread that he had started and began saying he is immature for asking that question regarding who much some pharmacist made. What is mature? Who are you to judge if someones immature. It seems like your immature to express your indifferences without considering if he may get offended. If anyone gets in trouble it should be you. I see your from Russian. Maybe you need to take some sensitivity classes and be cool honey bunny. I am just tired of reading people making rude responses or comments, and I thought you was rude. I am almost 33 years old, so if I ask a question and you dont like it are you going to call me immature?

Yazzman, chill out!!!!!!!You flipped out !!!!!! Don't let these youngesters who just were weened of the breast bother you. anymore. They still have their diapers on , and It seem like many of these youngesters still have there mother's breast milk moustache on there upper lip.............:laugh:

I think you should get in trouble. That is my vote.

I think your right...This person has responded to my post several times by citing my age in an attempt to belittle me....Whats scarey she knows so much about me ...she must have read all of my posts..........

I think your right...This person has responded to my post several times by citing my age in an attempt to belittle me....Whats scarey she knows so much about me ...she must have read all of my posts..........

Even though I clearly asked you to leave me alone yesterday - you can't seem to stop bashing me. I know nothing about you - and couldn't care less about you. Between work/school/research and volunteering I have better things to do than to read your posts.

You have gone and posted in 4 !!!!!:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: different threads already harassing me, even bumped up my october thread just to make fun of me:thumbdown:. How freaken far did you have to read my posts to find the post from october :eek:?
I want absolutely nothing to do with you anymore - please stop harassing me.

32 years old here and just found out yesterday that I was accepted to LECOM Erie. I was definitely the oldest person at my interview, maybe even older than the professor who interviewed me, but I wasn't made to feel that it was an issue.

On the other hand, somewhere on the web there's a list of schools which includes average student age and the range of ages, and there are some schools where there's nobody who is over, like, 25 who has actually been admitted. Although I don't know for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly discriminating at those schools, and personally I would focus on applying to schools that I know for sure don't.

32 years old here and just found out yesterday that I was accepted to LECOM Erie. I was definitely the oldest person at my interview, maybe even older than the professor who interviewed me, but I wasn't made to feel that it was an issue.

On the other hand, somewhere on the web there's a list of schools which includes average student age and the range of ages, and there are some schools where there's nobody who is over, like, 25 who has actually been admitted. Although I don't know for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly discriminating at those schools, and personally I would focus on applying to schools that I know for sure don't.

Its made of people!

Some of you forgot to take your Seroquel lately....you know who you are.