Older Pre-Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:
Howdy everyone

I'm gladdened by this thread. :) I went back to school this semester to start my pre-reqs. I am 38. :oops: I currently have a BA (Liberal Arts) degree, and am a couple years away from my 20 year military retirement (I currently do not work in anything medical related, though I play a patient on TV :laugh:), so will be 42-43 when I actually enter a PharmD program. While I realize the "average age" may be a little younger than I, I am looking forward to it!

And while I usually just lurk and learn, and tend to ignore the "urinary olympics" that occur online, I had to comment that I don't know why yazzman seems to be so upset/uptight. I've noticed a couple of threads where you seem to be bashing cheburashka, and I honestly can't see why. Seems to this old-timer that something got taken the wrong way or a bit to personally...? She's a lady and deserving of some respect. (Yeah, I'm old-fashioned...lol) But for those of us who come here to learn, the flameage is starting to drown out the real signal at times.

To quote a crummy old quote: can't we all just get along?

Anywhoo...back to lurk mode!

peace,
Zoomie

yo...it was really funny ....but im glad that yazzman and chewbacca havent been getting at it each other within the last couple of hours...yazzman you have a lot of enemies in SDn hang in there man..you need to get your team stronger...lol...lets focus on Pharmacy and getting rich

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 25, (though I look 19) and I feel like I've been in school FOREVER!! It took me a while to figure out pharmacy was what I want to do, and there were some things that slowed me down, but I'm still in college finishing up my bachelor's in biology. Will apply to pharmacy school at UNC when I'm ready (God knows when).

how does one actually figure out "pharmacy was what I want to do?". In my case Im going for it because I simply cannot figure out anything better to do with my life. Im 26 and graduate college with my BS in 2005. Should I wait another 4, 8, 10 years and hope I'll figure out something I really WANT to do? Other than people experience, I feel like the past 4 years have been a waste and the idea of another 4 years just being static while the world moves is just unbearable.

how does one actually figure out "pharmacy was what I want to do?". In my case Im going for it because I simply cannot figure out anything better to do with my life. Im 26 and graduate college with my BS in 2005. Should I wait another 4, 8, 10 years and hope I'll figure out something I really WANT to do? Other than people experience, I feel like the past 4 years have been a waste and the idea of another 4 years just being static while the world moves is just unbearable.

How does one actually figure out "pharmacy was what I want to do?"

Volunteer, or try to find a job at a pharmacy. This is probably one of the best ways to see if Pharmacy is for you.

Ask yourself are you passionate enough about this profession that you're willing to work for free and still manage to be happy? If you are, then you might have just found the perfect profession for you.

wishing you good luck in everything you wish to pursue:).

Members don't see this ad :)
How does one actually figure out "pharmacy was what I want to do?"

Volunteer, or try to find a job at a pharmacy. This is probably one of the best ways to see if Pharmacy is for you.

Ask yourself are you passionate enough about this profession that you're willing to work for free and still manage to be happy? If you are, then you might have just found the perfect profession for you.

wishing you good luck in everything you wish to pursue:).

Thank you, but really? can everyone here say that they honestly would practice pharmacy for free if they could afford to? Or are most people just lilke me but dont admit it? They just decided to settle and make the best of it.

I'm happy to see so many nontraditional pharmacy students. I'd like the opinion of the "older" female pharmacy students... have you already had children? Do you plan on having children in pharmacy school or after? I'm 29 and I will start my P1 year in the fall, making me 33 when I graduate. I also want to do a residency for 1-2 years after pharmacy school, in which case I will be 35. Do you think it's too late/too risky to try to start a family after age 35? I've been married for 3 years and my husband is flexible about starting a family and is willing to wait until I feel "ready." I don't know how feasible it will be to start a family during pharmacy school, but on the other hand, the risks for pregnancies associated with older women increase dramatically.

I am 33 now, am applying for the 2010 professional year, and will be 34 when I start pharmacy school, if I get accepted my first time through. I will be 37 when I get done with the professional program.

I know it can be done! I work with a great pharmacist who graduated pharmacy school when she was 42, and another who just graduated last year at the age of 37. They have inspired me to continue on with my goals even though I am going to be an "older student".

The older generation can still provide a competitive edge!

i'm 26 now and just starting pre-reqs. see...if things go out right i will not start grad school until i am close to 29 *i've got a degree already* just need some pre-reqs.

i'm 26 now and just starting pre-reqs. see...if things go out right i will not start grad school until i am close to 29 *i've got a degree already* just need some pre-reqs.

26 just like me :D. im gonna start taking sciences this summer. can i ask you what made you go into pharmacy?

I'm happy to see so many nontraditional pharmacy students. I'd like the opinion of the "older" female pharmacy students... have you already had children? Do you plan on having children in pharmacy school or after? I'm 29 and I will start my P1 year in the fall, making me 33 when I graduate. I also want to do a residency for 1-2 years after pharmacy school, in which case I will be 35. Do you think it's too late/too risky to try to start a family after age 35? I've been married for 3 years and my husband is flexible about starting a family and is willing to wait until I feel "ready." I don't know how feasible it will be to start a family during pharmacy school, but on the other hand, the risks for pregnancies associated with older women increase dramatically.

I'll be a P1 in the fall and I will be turning 40 shortly after I start. I had a child at 33. I can tell you from hanging out where the other moms are, there will be lots of women around your age if you decide to wait to have children in your 30s. If you wait too long, there is always the gamble that you might not be able to get pregnant. I would talk to your doctor so you will have more knowledge about the risks and weigh your options. Starting a family in your 30s is the norm in some parts of the country so the risks probably aren't as high as they might seem.

Like I said in my PM you didn't touch a nerve with me and I have absolutely no negative feelings towards you whatsoever :)luck: I wish you tons of luck and applaud you for going back to school :):):)) I just think that people have different life pace and I at MY pace feel old at 23. Some people just feel that way at a young age - I didn't spend 5 years soul searching or majoring in sociology - I am one of those people that majored in science almost right away. I did excellent in most of my classes especially sciences - so I feel like I should be done by now. Most people I am around are pretty extraordinary - I have friends that graduated HS at like 12 and college by 20 with BS degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. So the point of my post - is that we are all pretty different here on SDN and come from different backgrounds but let's be nice and respectufll to each other w/out sarcasm.

Also like skytrice said - being older may be to your advantage. Not necesserily in terms of studying - there I completely diagree - but yet I am one of those people that can sit down and study pchem for 12 hours without taking a single break. But in terms of schools viewing your decision to go back to school at older age as the one made with commitment and maturity. Some schools like UCSF seem to prefer older applicants - that's what my PI said at least - and she has worked there for a trillion of years.

So I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but I had to comment on being older and being a better studier. If you've been out of school, it's probably the case that you're a bit rusty in studying. However, if you're a 'professional student,' I find the older you are, the better you are at it.

I'm 27 and will be 28 when I start pharmacy school. I don't feel too old, but I'm definitely at a different point in my life than when I finished college, both personally and professionally. The nice thing is I have a better idea of what I want to do with my life.

As well, I'm hoping to finish my PhD by the end of June, and I can say my studying has gotten even better over the past six years. I know now (it probably helps that I TA'd a few courses) what to emphasize when I study and how to maximize stuff learned vs. time spent studying.

Thank you, but really? can everyone here say that they honestly would practice pharmacy for free if they could afford to? Or are most people just lilke me but dont admit it? They just decided to settle and make the best of it.

So I graduated with a degree in biochemistry and went straight to grad school in molecular biology. I know I wanted to have more schooling, and I know I didn't want to go to medical school (I'm a bit too squeemish (sp?), and I don't like the extremely long hours required). However, I realized very soon that I didn't want to do research. Over the years, I looked for other careers to do with a PhD, and nothing really fit. When I discovered pharmacy, I realized that's what I want to do, and so I took some more pre-reqs, took the PCAT, applied, and got in for Fall.

I'm not going into pharmacy for the money, but the fact that the salary is relatively high means it'll be easier for me and my husband to handle the student loans. I want to be in health care, helping people more directly than with research, and I'm really interested in learning about medications.

My husband started grad school right at 29 and is 35 now that he's finishing. He took a circuitous path to grad school, but he knows now that's where he wanted to be. We both think grad school is stressful, but it's a lot less stressful for him, since he's doing something he really wants to do.

The purpose of this post is to say maybe you want to make sure you really want to do pharmacy before you go in, so you don't decide halfway in to get another degree. Don't settle. Really don't settle. I've heard people say they don't like pharmacy, but they'll make decent money and they have another 16 hours a day. If you don't like your job, the other 16 hours most likely won't be pleasant either.

Not a lot of people would work for free if they can get paid this much to do it. I think the point here is that there should be more than just the pay that attracts you to this profession. I'm sure some, at first, would be ecstatic to watch paint dry full-time (8 to 5) for $150k/yr. but it won't be long before they either go crazy for fall into depression. Life is short so make the best of it by doing something that makes you the least miserable and pays enough to support yourself and your family.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am starting pharmd school this fall, and i'm 31 with 2 small kids! i have thought about having 1 more during school, which i know would be difficult but it could be done. my mom had me over labor day weekend during law school and kept going...like a crazy woman! i have heard at my school that some women have even taken a year off to have a kid...so some schools really try to work with you and help you get through no matter what it takes! i don't think mid 30s is too old to have kids, but there is that risk of waiting too long. you'll know when you are ready though. for me it was when i was 28. i starting noticing babies for the first time in my life. that is when i knew it was time for me!

32 years old here and just found out yesterday that I was accepted to LECOM Erie. I was definitely the oldest person at my interview, maybe even older than the professor who interviewed me, but I wasn't made to feel that it was an issue.

On the other hand, somewhere on the web there's a list of schools which includes average student age and the range of ages, and there are some schools where there's nobody who is over, like, 25 who has actually been admitted. Although I don't know for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly discriminating at those schools, and personally I would focus on applying to schools that I know for sure don't.
Good advice...I totally agree and thats why I'm going to apply to LECOM as well. Congrats on your acceptance :)

I'm happy to see so many nontraditional pharmacy students. I'd like the opinion of the "older" female pharmacy students... have you already had children? Do you plan on having children in pharmacy school or after?

I'm 29. I have one son, one stepdaughter, and another son on the way. The husband and I decided a few years ago that we either had to start the family early and I would go to school after, or hurry me through school so I would still have time on the biological clock when done with school. We decided to have kids earlier due to the concerns about having kids over the age of 35 (although it is getting quite common now) and so I could stay home with them while they were babies and I was completing pre-reqs. I'm hoping to matriculate in fall 2012 when the baby is 3.

I'll be honest, I haven't completely ruled out having more after pharmacy school, but it will depend on how things look at that time. After spending all of that time and money, I might want to just focus on my career for a while, and by the time I would be done with that, it really might be too late. In all honesty, I don't think that the order you do things in matters as long as you have a supportive partner/family. I couldn't do this with the kids without the husband behind me (although kudos to those who can).

Thanks for your opinions and sharing your stories. The current plan is to wait until I finish school and residency to start a family, which will mean starting a family after 35. Unless my biological clock starts ticking sooner... in which case I may have to ask the school to give me time off. But I don't know of anyone who had a baby during pharmacy school and was still able to keep up. Anyone out there able to pull it off?

I am 29 now. I graduated with a bachelors in International Business. i have been doing accounting for the last 4 years. <Boring> Basically my moms best friend is a Pharmacist. She has 3 kids that she was pushing to be pharmacists but that worked out. So i she started pushing me last year. Last year i quit my accounting job to start my pre reqs. I found a manager at CVS pharmacy to take a chance with me. She hired me. I had to move out of my house and change my whole lifestyle dramatically. After 6 months at CVS, I transferred to mail order. I interviewed at Howard last month. Hopefully I get in.

I think you are only as old as you feel. Eat right, and exercise, and you will never grow old. Its the truth.

As far as kids, dont have any, But I hear, GOD takes care of the little ones. So dont hold back. People raise great children with very few resources. Good parenting is worth more than any amount of money

Good luck everyone

I've got a little different perspective to offer, hopefully something that will help somebody somewhere.

I'm a 35 y/o father of 2 on the tail end of my P3 year. I'm the oldest male student in my class, and one of only a handful of students over 30. If I had to guess, I'd say the class average when we started was about 23 y/o with A LOT of people under 21. The youngest pharmacy student I've met was a P3 from Texas Tech. He was 19 years old.

As a father and husband it has been challenging, because there are a lot of things you have to take care of during the day that take away from study time. Breakfast, off to school, dentist/doctor appointments, pick up after school, homework, notes from teacher to sign (YOU BIT WHO??), extracurriculars, dinner, dishes, ten loads of laundry, brush teeth (Brush them right this time!!!) then a kiss and off to bed, and oh wow, it's already 10:30 and I still have to study for that pharmacotherapy exam tomorrow.

I have compensated by sacrificing sleep and most forms of entertainment. If you are a parent with children I just don't see any other way. Pharmacy school will consume your life. The first year I averaged 4 hours of sleep a night and had a dozen+ all-nighters. At this point, my wife is getting sick of sleeping alone, but visions of a 100k income comfort her.

It has been fun, too. Your experience will come in handy if you want to get involved in organizations or be a class representative. If you have kids, I don't know where you'll find the time for these things, but maybe you can. And if you've worked full-time before coming back to school you'll appreciate the laid-back atmosphere of the college campus as opposed to the 40 hour grind.

Bottom line: it has been hard. I'm tired. I envy the kids in my class and their endless free time (but they're all really good kids and they've all earned it so good for them). I would do it again. And in one short year...CHA CHING!

Good luck to everyone.

I'm 26, but I'll be 27 when I start pharmacy school in the fall. I was on one of those 8-yr undergrad programs :laugh:

I think age can be an advantage. IMO, it shows that through your life experiences, trials and tribulations, you really do have your sights set on a career in pharmacy.

I will be 31 in two weeks, and hope I can apply this year, or the next year. I have one baby and work full time, take two courses in CC. I want to have another baby too, either in school or just before school. Anyone think if it's possible to be discriminated when getting :confused:interiew with a big belly?

Thanks for your opinions and sharing your stories. The current plan is to wait until I finish school and residency to start a family, which will mean starting a family after 35. Unless my biological clock starts ticking sooner... in which case I may have to ask the school to give me time off. But I don't know of anyone who had a baby during pharmacy school and was still able to keep up. Anyone out there able to pull it off?

You have some big decisions to make. My coworker was 39 when her son was born w/Down's Syndrome. I was in my 20's when I had HG w/all my children - vomited the entire pregnancies and spent most of the time hooked up to an IV. I could barely go for a walk, let alone study pharmacy. On the other hand, I've known tons of women who felt their greatest while pregnant. It's a gamble. Also, if you plan on nursing, I can't imagine any professor letting you out of class to pump.

On the other hand, I'm constantly wishing I had done this before I had children.

Good luck!

You have some big decisions to make. My coworker was 39 when her son was born w/Down's Syndrome. I was in my 20's when I had HG w/all my children - vomited the entire pregnancies and spent most of the time hooked up to an IV. I could barely go for a walk, let alone study pharmacy. On the other hand, I've known tons of women who felt their greatest while pregnant. It's a gamble. Also, if you plan on nursing, I can't imagine any professor letting you out of class to pump.

On the other hand, I'm constantly wishing I had done this before I had children.

Good luck!

I agree- it's a big decision. I know people who accidentally got pregnant in their 40's and people who waited until their 30's and ended up not being able to get pregnant even with in vitro. And you never know if you will be the one who has to go on bedrest in your second trimester. I would say have them before or after but not during!!

I found this site last night......I am so elated and instantly feel refreshed and encouraged to know there are older applicants like myself. I will be 32 hopefully when I start Pharm school. I started 4yr university in mid 90's, didn't finish a degree. at the time i was working full time and going to school full time, it didn't work out. my pre-req science and math gpa was a 2.54 and overall a 2.67 i applied back then, but never got in ......I think I gave up on trying to be a pharmacist, i was very discouraged.......working as a pharmacy technician has been fulfilling for the past 10 years and i ve gained a wealth of information, but I know that being a pharmacist is what I want to do....so I am going to retake all pre-reqs starting fall 2009 at a cc in georgia...here are some of my questions..........

Is a CC GPA of 3.5 and above appoximately equivalent to a 3.00 from a university?

When is the best time to take the pcats? after completing which pre-reqs?
what are the best study guides?

I have all the schools (10) that I am interested in already, any advice on trying to keep up with all pre-reqs, and organization? I'll probably narrow it down to 5 or 6.

I don't have kids? but would like to at some point in time, is this possible during pharmacy school or wouldnt recommend it?

Because I am retaking all pre-reqs and my grades are so old 10+ yrs do i need to submit these? I really don't want to because my gpa wasnt competitive then, is this necessary? dont want to seem like a "dishonest" applicant.

I will be 31 in two weeks, and hope I can apply this year, or the next year. I have one baby and work full time, take two courses in CC. I want to have another baby too, either in school or just before school. Anyone think if it's possible to be discriminated when getting :confused:interiew with a big belly?

I'll be 31 in 6 weeks and am starting at Temple U this fall. I applied and interviewed at 2 different schools, both when I was 7 months pregnant. The big belly didn't seem to matter because I got in to both schools. Just be ready to explain how you plan to juggle school and family responsibilities. Good Luck!

I found this site last night......I am so elated and instantly feel refreshed and encouraged to know there are older applicants like myself. I will be 32 hopefully when I start Pharm school. I started 4yr university in mid 90's, didn't finish a degree. at the time i was working full time and going to school full time, it didn't work out. my pre-req science and math gpa was a 2.54 and overall a 2.67 i applied back then, but never got in ......I think I gave up on trying to be a pharmacist, i was very discouraged.......working as a pharmacy technician has been fulfilling for the past 10 years and i ve gained a wealth of information, but I know that being a pharmacist is what I want to do....so I am going to retake all pre-reqs starting fall 2009 at a cc in georgia...here are some of my questions..........

Is a CC GPA of 3.5 and above appoximately equivalent to a 3.00 from a university?

When is the best time to take the pcats? after completing which pre-reqs?
what are the best study guides?

I have all the schools (10) that I am interested in already, any advice on trying to keep up with all pre-reqs, and organization? I'll probably narrow it down to 5 or 6.

I don't have kids? but would like to at some point in time, is this possible during pharmacy school or wouldnt recommend it?

Because I am retaking all pre-reqs and my grades are so old 10+ yrs do i need to submit these? I really don't want to because my gpa wasnt competitive then, is this necessary? dont want to seem like a "dishonest" applicant.

You most likely will have to submit your old grades. PharmCAS requires you to put in every college class you've ever taken (give yourself an afternoon or two to do this; it takes awhile). However, if your GPA significantly goes up now, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, for many schools, you have the option to write an essay explaining any not-so-good grades/time away from school.

So I graduated with a degree in biochemistry and went straight to grad school in molecular biology. I know I wanted to have more schooling, and I know I didn't want to go to medical school (I'm a bit too squeemish (sp?), and I don't like the extremely long hours required). However, I realized very soon that I didn't want to do research. Over the years, I looked for other careers to do with a PhD, and nothing really fit. When I discovered pharmacy, I realized that's what I want to do, and so I took some more pre-reqs, took the PCAT, applied, and got in for Fall.

I'm not going into pharmacy for the money, but the fact that the salary is relatively high means it'll be easier for me and my husband to handle the student loans. I want to be in health care, helping people more directly than with research, and I'm really interested in learning about medications.

My husband started grad school right at 29 and is 35 now that he's finishing. He took a circuitous path to grad school, but he knows now that's where he wanted to be. We both think grad school is stressful, but it's a lot less stressful for him, since he's doing something he really wants to do.

The purpose of this post is to say maybe you want to make sure you really want to do pharmacy before you go in, so you don't decide halfway in to get another degree. Don't settle. Really don't settle. I've heard people say they don't like pharmacy, but they'll make decent money and they have another 16 hours a day. If you don't like your job, the other 16 hours most likely won't be pleasant either.

well im going full force now towards pharmD. have thought things over and visited some schools. i refuse, in fact, id rather be dead than let another 4 years pass me by without having gone to school. you think im really going to wait another 4 3 2 or even 1 year in hopes of having a light bulb moment about my career path? not a chance! It didn't happen these past 4 fours...and id like to think im not insane. i already have 4 years to make up. now that i have an end goal in sight...finally, i feel motivated to do all sorts of things i have been putting off like becoming a certified trainer and learning a third language. good luck to us all.