Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm a grad student considering applying to medical school in a couple years. I've been fascinated by medicine for several years now, and I enjoy reading books on psychiatry, pharmacology, and internal medicine, etc.
One thing that has bothered me is that it appears to be common knowledge (though not openly discussed) that in general the tricyclic AD's are superior to the SSRI's and other modern AD's in treating severe depression. (In British texts, they are recommended as first line treatment) The MAOI's seem to be regarded by some very respectable sources as the most powerful AD's known to man, particularly for the most debilitating atypical cases.
One writer bluntly stated that essentially no progress has been made in treating the worst forms of unipolar depression; the modern drugs are generally inferior for these cases, and at best, they simply offer a different set of side-effects.
Naturally, everyone responds to these drugs slightly differently, and the SSRI's are a great option to have, particularly because they are so safe physiologically.
I'm concerned that psychiatrists have so little IM training, and so little time with their patients, that these older drugs have fallen into disuse even for very ill patients who really need the most effective medications available.
I'm curious to know if people think their psych residency trains them adequately to use the full range of AD's (and lithium), even the older drugs may require cardiovascular assessment and regular blood work.
Thanks for the info,
Dave
I'm a grad student considering applying to medical school in a couple years. I've been fascinated by medicine for several years now, and I enjoy reading books on psychiatry, pharmacology, and internal medicine, etc.
One thing that has bothered me is that it appears to be common knowledge (though not openly discussed) that in general the tricyclic AD's are superior to the SSRI's and other modern AD's in treating severe depression. (In British texts, they are recommended as first line treatment) The MAOI's seem to be regarded by some very respectable sources as the most powerful AD's known to man, particularly for the most debilitating atypical cases.
One writer bluntly stated that essentially no progress has been made in treating the worst forms of unipolar depression; the modern drugs are generally inferior for these cases, and at best, they simply offer a different set of side-effects.
Naturally, everyone responds to these drugs slightly differently, and the SSRI's are a great option to have, particularly because they are so safe physiologically.
I'm concerned that psychiatrists have so little IM training, and so little time with their patients, that these older drugs have fallen into disuse even for very ill patients who really need the most effective medications available.
I'm curious to know if people think their psych residency trains them adequately to use the full range of AD's (and lithium), even the older drugs may require cardiovascular assessment and regular blood work.
Thanks for the info,
Dave
