older without any ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bobmason

Hi

I'm an older person, 39, about to apply to med school. I would like some input on my chances. I have a biology degree with a 4.00 gpa and 34 MCAT. Aside from my age, my big concern is that I don't have any ECs on my application. I've been a paramedic for 15 years and have a family. With a full time job, a family and full course load in college I just didn't have the time. Will this hurt me? My degree was started quite a few years ago and in the beginning I had a lot of Ws because of my changing work hours and no other reason. Thats why I quit until recently and I returned full time and completed my degree with a full course load. Do I have any chance at this? I've worked for this and wanted this for longer than a lot of premeds have been alive, surely this counts for something. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think writing an awesome PS will really help you out. You need to explain your reasons for entering medicine now and the road you took to get there. Show how much you've overcome and how your mature age can benefit future patients.

Also, you should look into some shadowing. You could rack up a quite a few hours between now and when you apply. EMT experience is definitely considered clinical experience. How about some volunteering? It doesn't have to be medical related, even doing Habitat for Humanity once a month would be a great thing to put on your app. Best of luck to you!

Do you have no community involvement? What about preschool, PTA, neighbourhood watch, kids sports teams, sunday school teacher etc. Doesn't have to be marathon running and chess playing - hopefully you've been involved in many ways with your community.

I wouldn't worry too much about shadowing - set it up it's easy and pleasant, but you have great clinical experience with the paramedic thing and it's my understanding that non-trads need less shadowing than traditional pre-meds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's awesome that you are doing this. I work part time for an ambulance company as an EMT. I've known a few medics that have gone on to medical school. All of them had a pretty easy time getting in. Your biggest challege, like everyone else says, is going to be a solid personal statement.

For that to be your biggest challenge, I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

Good Luck!

Do you have no community involvement? What about preschool, PTA, neighbourhood watch, kids sports teams, sunday school teacher etc. Doesn't have to be marathon running and chess playing - hopefully you've been involved in many ways with your community.

I wouldn't worry too much about shadowing - set it up it's easy and pleasant, but you have great clinical experience with the paramedic thing and it's my understanding that non-trads need less shadowing than traditional pre-meds.

good advice above -- think about ECs as part of what you do or have done over the years -- I listed volunteer work chaperoning my kids' school trips, working the various school fairs, etc. Anything is better than nothing.

On the plus side, even 100 or so hrs will be viewed as a check in this pre-med "box". From what I've heard from schools, this is a requirement. May be some exceptions, but you'd greatly limit your competitiveness unnecessarily (given that awesome GPA and MCAT) if you choose not to spend a handful of saturdays doing some volunteer work, non-clinical may actually be better as you've got so much clinical experience already.

Keep in mind that "extra-curricular activity" describes what a traditional student does outside of school. Having about 20 years of life experience outside school, with deep exposure to the practice of medicine,
entirely negates the need for ECs. In other words, trads need ECs as predictors of success outside academics. You don't need a predictor: you have a resume.

Other than being concerned about faculty letters for you, I think you're ready to go.

Best of luck to you.