Oldest MCAT accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medthrowaway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering how strict medical schools are on how old your MCATs are. I took mine in Sept 2010, but decided to defer my application until after I did my PhD. I am aiming to apply Summer 2015 (Summer 2014 at the earliest).

I was wondering if medical schools are amenable at all to older scores. I know this varies by school but I was just looking for anecdotal evidence, especially from students who deferred to do a PhD. Is it possible to "petition" for an older score to get accepted (that is, email the admissions office and beg since I was so involved doing graduate work since 2010)? Though that might just be a pipe dream. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I was wondering how strict medical schools are on how old your MCATs are. I took mine in Sept 2010, but decided to defer my application until after I did my PhD. I am aiming to apply Summer 2015 (Summer 2014 at the earliest).

I was wondering if medical schools are amenable at all to older scores. I know this varies by school but I was just looking for anecdotal evidence, especially from students who deferred to do a PhD. Is it possible to "petition" for an older score to get accepted (that is, email the admissions office and beg since I was so involved doing graduate work since 2010)? Though that might just be a pipe dream. Any help would be appreciated.
One can always ask but I would tend to believe the school website. Our MCAT expiration date has not been waived in my memory.

every school is different. some do 2 years, some do 5, but i would say the overwhelming majority of schools won't look at an mcat that is more than 3 years old. and by overwhelming majority, i would guess there are less than 10.