Oldest Med-school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the oldest med school? Is it Brown??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
HarveyCushing said:
Whats the oldest med school? Is it Brown??

Brown is one of the oldest colleges, but the med school is only about 25 years old.

i think it's upenn--at least that's what they claim

brucecat said:
i think it's upenn--at least that's what they claim
Yes - In addition to UofP & related sites' claims, before I posted the above, I also "asked jeeves" and saw several PA websites which indicate that the state boasts the oldest med school.

Law2Doc said:
Yes - In addition to UofP & related sites' claims, before I posted the above, I also "asked jeeves" and saw several PA websites which indicate that the state boasts the oldest med school.

Correct, UPenn med has been around since the colonies existed. In fact, it was only colony with med school for the longest time. Oh yea, back then it was called Philadelpha College or something.

UPenn is the oldest med school in the US, founded in 1765, followed by Kings College (New York), then Harvard.

I've heard that the first medschool was associated with the college of william and mary. Of course, it's no longer in existance.

The first med school to award a degree in medicine was Columbia. However, the FIRST med school was Penn.

"The school of medicine (est. 1767), which awarded the first M.D. degree in America in 1770, was absorbed into the independent College of Physicians and Surgeons (chartered 1807), which in turn was absorbed into the university in 1891."

(from wikipedia)

"The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine was the first and only medical school in the thirteen American colonies when, in the fall of 1765, students enrolled for "anatomical lectures" and a course on "the theory and practice of physick." They enrolled at the College of Philadelphia, which was the name of the University of Pennsylvania in pre-Revolutionary times."

http://www.med.upenn.edu/history.html

No no no silly, the first med school wasnt brown it was red.....that was the only color of brick they had back then....who would want a brown colored med school anyway.

upenn was first
then columbia, although columbia claims to have granted the first degree in the colonies

then harvard was est. in 1782
then dartmouth in 1798
then brown in 1811 but the med school was closed in 1827 and not reopened until the 1970s

rme04 said:
upenn was first
then columbia, although columbia claims to have granted the first degree in the colonies

then harvard was est. in 1782
then dartmouth in 1798
then brown in 1811 but the med school was closed in 1827 and not reopened until the 1970s

Actually, U of Maryland claims to be the 5th oldest, opening in 1807 -- so the streak of ivies was broken.

Law2Doc said:
Actually, U of Maryland claims to be the 5th oldest, opening in 1807 -- so the streak of ivies was broken.

This is so silly. You know they give you this crap at Jefferson about how we have just as legitimate a claim to the Medical College of Philadelphia legacy as Penn (which is of course false). They never say anything like "we're the oldest" though... because they're full of crap. It's funny though that schools bicker about this.

Law2Doc said:

That's correct! It was the first public medical school and the 5th overall. It also has the oldest medical building still in use - Davidge Hall. It was founded in 1807 - my class (2007) is deemed the bicentenial class.