oldest neurosurgeon resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Bill

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the oldest neurosurgeon resident that you have ever heard of ? I mean 45-50 or even younger. any feedback would help. thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Big Bill said:
I was wondering what is the oldest neurosurgeon resident that you have ever heard of ? I mean 45-50 or even younger. any feedback would help. thanx

I heard Willy "Shaky Hands" Green in his 60's but his malpractice premium is around 17 million a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, who is the oldest neurosurgery resident you have heard of?

Big Bill said:
Really, who is the oldest neurosurgery resident you have heard of?

Danko (aka Stanko) Stankowich he is 61.

LOL!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Jimmy "3 fingers" Papageorgio decided to get into medical school after a terrible time in the mob, lost all but 3 fingers.

Got into witness protection, and is now Dr. John Smith resident at UCSF Neuro, top of his class oldest resident UCSF has ever had at age 63.

You should see this guy work, two fingers and a nub, he's like poetry!

Big Bill said:

I will be 37 when I begin residency, with NS being the field I am focused on. Why so old? An M.S. in one science field, a Ph.D. in another, and 2 yrs of PostDoc will do that to you. ...oh, and 4 yrs of med school as well. =)

Actually, this isn't as old as I thought it was. The program I have my sights set on has quite a few older residents. I have a friend in this program who is currently an R3-NS resident tell me, "No matter what ..... always maintain your academic curiosity and enthusiasm, it's a lot of fun when you're close to seeing the end of the line".

Hope this helps, for what it's worth.