Olympia Fields, Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon62781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know anything about Olympia Fields, Chicago??

I am trying to figure out about their internship, and about their program. I understand they work hard, but that is about all I know.

Any Info??

Members don't see this ad.

FYI- Olympia Fields is a D.O. program, just in case you are MD candidate looking here.
I am M3 and I have done a few rotations at St. James-Olympia Fields, and can tell you that the interns in generally seem unhappy to me. I hear that a lot of the outside "better" radiology electives for residents are being brought back in house. If I hear anything more, I would let you know.

Olympia Fields...a.k.a Killing Fields

Better start taking your vitamins!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does everyone say that???

Because that hospital absolutely murders you intern year...from what I've heard from other people who have gone through the program. They say if you can make it through there, the rest is smooth sailing.

Congrats buddy!

Because that hospital absolutely murders you intern year...from what I've heard from other people who have gone through the program. They say if you can make it through there, the rest is smooth sailing.

Congrats buddy!

Like lots of hours, lots of admits, scut???

I am M3 from CCOM and rotate frequently at OLY- the interns there are miserable (from my observations). The call schedule sucks. The cafeteria can really suck too, esp. with the "fried food bar" including catfish and fried okra that looks like battered nasal discharge

anyways, if you can make it through and intern year at OLY, you will definitely be living the quote "that which does not kill you makes you stronger"

wow --i havent logged into this site for about two years and basically it is still the same---a whole lot of hot air and speculation---especially the md vs do battles---comical. i guess it just takes a few years to gain perspective. anyways, to comment on the above ---the internship is not nearly as bad those above seem to make it. remember one thing that holds true through out medical school --internship and definitely through residency --people love to bitch and complain. Either there is too much teaching or not enough teaching or too many this not enough that --you get my point. st james has its strengths and a few short comings along the way but what intern experience doesnt. you are definitely granted a significant amount of autonomy and before the year is up you will be prepared to handle most drama that arises on a medicine floor without the help of 10 senior residents like many institutions. i can site numerous examples but my fingers are getting tired. call is probably the easiest around ---i can compare about 4 chicago programs first hand and my wife who is an intern at a different program who curses me every day she leaves and i am still snoozing in my warm bed.
as far as the radiology program goes it is only getting stronger and as previously stated --rumors are rumors and you really need to talk with current residents. hope this helps and if you have specific questions email me and please dont listen to 3rd year med students for advice----as a 3rd year i think i spent more time playing xbox than in the hospital.:rolleyes:

How is the call schedule??

Everyone has avoided placing numbers before now.

Thanks for your informative post!!

Bottom line, internship sucks!! I'm prepared for that. But everyone has spoken so unhighly of this one, it just made me nervous. Anyhow, here's to the incoming class in JULY!

Jon

QUOTE=kb498;4773177]wow --i havent logged into this site for about two years and basically it is still the same---a whole lot of hot air and speculation---especially the md vs do battles---comical. i guess it just takes a few years to gain perspective. anyways, to comment on the above ---the internship is not nearly as bad those above seem to make it. remember one thing that holds true through out medical school --internship and definitely through residency --people love to bitch and complain. Either there is too much teaching or not enough teaching or too many this not enough that --you get my point. st james has its strengths and a few short comings along the way but what intern experience doesnt. you are definitely granted a significant amount of autonomy and before the year is up you will be prepared to handle most drama that arises on a medicine floor without the help of 10 senior residents like many institutions. i can site numerous examples but my fingers are getting tired. call is probably the easiest around ---i can compare about 4 chicago programs first hand and my wife who is an intern at a different program who curses me every day she leaves and i am still snoozing in my warm bed.
as far as the radiology program goes it is only getting stronger and as previously stated --rumors are rumors and you really need to talk with current residents. hope this helps and if you have specific questions email me and please dont listen to 3rd year med students for advice----as a 3rd year i think i spent more time playing xbox than in the hospital.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Stay away, hospital is spilling money and the residency programs are defintely going to suffer. The hospital actually asked the school to cut back on the number of filled positions.

This is true. CCOM has been asked to not fill 10 positions next year. They are going to honor existing residency contracts, of course.

There are rumors that the hospital is going to drop all residency programs altogether, for whatever reasons. However, the dean of CCOM states that these rumors are false.

It doesn't look good to me though.

This is true. CCOM has been asked to not fill 10 positions next year. They are going to honor existing residency contracts, of course.

There are rumors that the hospital is going to drop all residency programs altogether, for whatever reasons. However, the dean of CCOM states that these rumors are false.

It doesn't look good to me though.

That must be funny because my program just added funding for another spot for my year.... Doesn't sound like spilling money to me?!??

Alright--im back--again to silence the rumors. The above is true--the overall internship positions directly affiliated with St James have been reduced from approx 40 to 30. Basically, limiting the transitional year positions that were not linked. However, these positions have been relocated throughout the Midwestern Univ/CCOM training institutions. For the Midwestern Univ Radiology program the opposite is true--the program is actually growing with full support from St James Hospital and the University. Soon, the new MWU-CCOM Radiology website will be posted describing the details of the program and proving why it is one of the top osteopathic radiology residency programs. you can see the rough draft at www.megandkevin.com (our past wedding website--dont let my wife know--for display purposes only)
The internship is taking a completely new direction--with the strong support and leadership of our new DME - Dr.Kirstein. The new system from a medicine standpoint will be team oriented(attending/resident/intern/students) and a night float system that is far better than the q4-5 jazz. To sum up-dont believe the hype.