OMFS 6-year MD granting program question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that you have to take USMLE1 once you get accepted one of these programs?

I was under the impression that USMLE1 is taken by med students who just finished year 1 and 2. So the dental student (who gets accepted) has to basically self-study first 2 years of med school on his/her own (ouch)?

Do they do this becuase maybe the first 2 years of DS is similar to first 2 years of Med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that you have to take USMLE1 once you get accepted one of these programs?

I was under the impression that USMLE1 is taken by med students who just finished year 1 and 2. So the dental student (who gets accepted) has to basically self-study first 2 years of med school on his/her own (ouch)?

Do they do this becuase maybe the first 2 years of DS is similar to first 2 years of Med school?

Yes you do need to take usmle once you get accepted into a dual degree program. Typically taken during your residency.

Part 1 is taken either before you start the program or before you enter clinical rotations, this depends on the program. Part 2 I believe is taken during the 2nd year of med. school but I could be mistaken. Part 3 is more or less optional, but is required if you one plans to practice under the medical license opposed to practicing solely under a dental license.

The 1st 2 years of both med. and dent have a great deal of overlap. Since the vast majority of the topics on the USMLE Step 1 are covered in varying degrees of detail in dental school, the dental student can essentially skip a good portion of the first 2 years of med and self study for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part 1 is taken either before you start the program or before you enter clinical rotations, this depends on the program. Part 2 I believe is taken during the 2nd year of med. school but I could be mistaken. Part 3 is more or less optional, but is required if you one plans to practice under the medical license opposed to practicing solely under a dental license.

The 1st 2 years of both med. and dent have a great deal of overlap. Since the vast majority of the topics on the USMLE Step 1 are covered in varying degrees of detail in dental school, the dental student can essentially skip a good portion of the first 2 years of med and self study for the exam.

To have a licensed MD you must take all 3 parts of the Step, regardless of who you are. Classically, Step 1 is taken before entering clinical rotations. Depending on the structure of the OMFS program, you will either complete 2nd year of med school then take the Step 1, complete a year of OMFS and take Step 1, or Take Step 1 before entering residency (Case, UNMC).

Step 2 IIRC is taken in 3rd year of medical school, possibly 4th year. It may also depend on the school/curriculum.

Step 3 is taken after graduation. Note that is you want to advertise as a DDS/MD in any sort of legal capacity, in most states you MUST have a medical license, otherwise you are committing fraud.

I see...

For those of u who went with the 6-year prog, did u find it hard to prepare for usmle1 or did u think the first 2 years of DS were kinda okay enough to give u the basics