OMFS After advanced standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biafra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heu buddies
does anyone know how possible it is to match into 6 year omfs programs after advanced standing DDS.i heard some programs wont consider your application because you dont have a US bachelors degree some programs like Houston actually ask for your US high school diploma :(
I understand that some of these requirements is actually from the medical schools participating in the admission process.
could someone please clarify this? i heard from the grapevine that some people have actually matched to 6 year programs after advanced standing,how true is this?
could we make a list of programs that are foreign trained dentists with US DDS friendly?
thank you guys for all the support :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Biafra,

I know this post since 2006, but I am actually going through the same exact thing right now. I am applying for OMFS and I want to do the 6 yr program but having a problem since I am an advanced placement student. Can you tell me what did you end up doing so I can learn from your experience?

Thanks.

Hey both havent been answered but i am pretty sure both of yu got answered even tho this post is very old, could you please tell me what did you do and if you matched or not i am having the same issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an advanced staining graduate who matched into a 4 years OMFS program class of 2021, I got rejected from the one 6 years program I applied to claiming that a certain amount of undergrad credits is needed, not sure if that's the case to all of them but at least for Buffalo it was, personally the idea of 6 years program isn't appealing to me. As to Which programs to consider the most, honestly it's all about your preparation and application status, kill the CBSE exam, apply to as many programs as you can, don't get disappointed with rejection cause it'll happened and consider an internship if you don't match, I did a year of internship, best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
As an advanced staining graduate who matched into a 4 years OMFS program class of 2021, I got rejected from the one 6 years program I applied to claiming that a certain amount of undergrad credits is needed, not sure if that's the case to all of them but at least for Buffalo it was, personally the idea of 6 years program isn't appealing to me. As to Which programs to consider the most, honestly it's all about your preparation and application status, kill the CBSE exam, apply to as many programs as you can, don't get disappointed with rejection cause it'll happened and consider an internship if you don't match, I did a year of internship, best of luck
Thank you very much for sharing this infromation.

Sam shaar, thanks for sharing.

If you dont mind,

How many 4 year and 6 year programs did you apply to? What was your class rank? was your CBSE on the 60s 70s or 80s?

Thanks

1 6 years, about 40 4 years, top 10%, 60s

1 6 years, about 40 4 years, top 10%, 60s

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I am doing advance standing DMD and plan for applying for OMFS next cycle. I have some questions;

- Was your CBSE score ready when you applied the first time? or you improved your CBSE score during internship year?
- How was your interview experience regarding being an advance standing student? Did they ask different set of questions compared to regular students during the interview?
- Are you permanent resident or US citizen? I am wondering what type of Visa they can issue for international student.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I am doing advance standing DMD and plan for applying for OMFS next cycle. I have some questions;

- Was your CBSE score ready when you applied the first time? or you improved your CBSE score during internship year?
- How was your interview experience regarding being an advance standing student? Did they ask different set of questions compared to regular students during the interview?
- Are you permanent resident or US citizen? I am wondering what type of Visa they can issue for international student.

Thank you in advance!
I took CBSE last time at the beginning of my internship and was my best score, I took the test three times, interviews are random, some program directors read the applications and ask specific questions, and some don't really care about the side story and focus on your numbers, OMFS interviews can be tricky but like any other interview, it's best to be comfortable, confident and honest, I have a US citizenship, don't have a lot on info about visas, but one of my co-residents is an advanced standing graduate as well who is on H1 visa. Good luck

I took CBSE last time at the beginning of my internship and was my best score, I took the test three times, interviews are random, some program directors read the applications and ask specific questions, and some don't really care about the side story and focus on your numbers, OMFS interviews can be tricky but like any other interview, it's best to be comfortable, confident and honest, I have a US citizenship, don't have a lot on info about visas, but one of my co-residents is an advanced standing graduate as well who is on H1 visa. Good luck

Thank you very much for your reply. Good luck with your residency life!