OMFS application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMMWen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question here.

Some background - I graduated in 2015, did a GPR and worked in private practice for ~5 years. Decided to pursue OMFS and have already secured a Non-cat internship for July 2022-2023. CBSE is already taken.

At what point should I apply in PASS/MATCH?

Option 1) Apply in May 2022 (Feb 2023 match) - will need to get internship LORs in the first 2 months, and submit application by Sept?
Option 2) Apply in May 2023 (Feb 2024 match) - will have a gap of 1 year between internship and residency

What have other people usually done in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

Go with option 1 even before Sep. as long as you have 3 LOR (from dental OMS faculty, chair etc) so you can submit you application.
If your internship program director/attendings are willing to provide you with LOR they can submit it later before the dealdline of desired programs you applying to.
You can attach up to 5 letters but you need minimum of 3 letters to submit you app.

Go with option 1 even before Sep. as long as you have 3 LOR (from dental OMS faculty, chair etc) so you can submit you application.
If your internship program director/attendings are willing to provide you with LOR they can submit it later before the dealdline of desired programs you applying to.
You can attach up to 5 letters but you need minimum of 3 letters to submit you app.

Thanks for the reply.

What if I don't have any meaningful LORs (eg. only dentists I've worked with, clinic professors)? I doubt any OMFS professors in school remember me and I am dependent on the internship for LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

What if I don't have any meaningful LORs (eg. only dentists I've worked with, clinic professors)? I doubt any OMFS professors in school remember me and I am dependent on the internship for LORs.
I would still try to get LORs from internship faculty and apply this cycle assuming you are happy with your cbse score (or at least you know there is no chance to retake it for the following cycle).
I was able to manage 2 LORs from my internship within the first 2 months of my training (one from PD and one from attending), but had 3 other letters from my school OMS faculty.

Reach out to your school oms faculty via email or better in person.

Again, I would give it a shot and apply this year.

Last edited:
Agreed with this, I know several non-cat applicants last cycle who did this and had no issues getting LORs from their program. All of the individuals that I know matched as well. In general, it is in the best interest for the PD of your non-cat program to help you match.

Thanks for all the advice. I will do just that and hope for the best.