OMFS as international dentist

Started by pikaboo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pikaboo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I at a disadvantage because I got my dental degree from outside the us and Canada? I am a Canadian taking both boards, have so many shadowing positions inside Canada and the states, recommendation letters, 3000 hours of volunteering in a hospital In Canada. I study in Egypt by the way and their ranking system isn't the greatest so I would love to get any realistic expectations of how hard or if possible to get into an OMFS program. Thanks.


•_• hi •_•
 
Slim to nonexistent. You have to have an american degree. You also have to be a US citizen. If you become a US citizen or permanent resident and get an american degree (2 year IDP), then your chances increase, particularly if you get a strong CBSE score (75+). It would still be hard, mostly because of the nature and competitiveness of the normal application process.
 
Last edited:
So the citizenship is a must or or at least. Now for the IDP I have to do it either way to work in the us so it's okay I am planning to do some interns as well if I get a score above 90 do you think my chances are much better (meaning is it worth it?)


•_• hi •_•
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMFS may be a hard but most likely Perio programs may consider you. Is an option if your goal is to obtain a dental license in the US


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I realize it's hard I never said otherwise I was just wondering since I will have to get my license in us either way so I have to do an IDP or get a degree there I thought if they take the IDP ranking combined with a killer CBSE score and 3000+ volunteering in a hospital with excellent recommendation letters and an intern year or two I can squeeze couple of interviews. I get it and I am not looking to get into Harvard since I am into such a disadvantage but still you know? let me know what u think.