OMFS assistant qualifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted920649

Hi everyone. I had a quick question. I am interested in assisting an oral maxilofacial surgeon but don't quite know the means to do so.
I am currently in a gap year prior to dental school and have 9 months of extensive general dentistry, chair-side assiting. I am x-ray certified & osha/hippa certified as far as any official certifications go. What certifications or qualifications do I need to work for an OMFS? I am very interested in working at an OMFS practice for career experience, perspective, and exploration purposes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Check your state's requirements. Where I'm from, an assistant doesnt need any formal school, they're just trained on-site. This would be the first step for you. Also, try calling an OMFS office and see what openings they have. You'll probably start as a sterile tech and then work into assisting over time.

Reactions: 1 user
Check your state's requirements. Where I'm from, an assistant doesnt need any formal school, they're just trained on-site. This would be the first step for you. Also, try calling an OMFS office and see what openings they have. You'll probably start as a sterile tech and then work into assisting over time.
Yeah that is a good idea. That is how I got my assisting position. I started off sterilizing instruments. I'll definitely call around. Thanks dude!