OMFS - Danish graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SK_OMFS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - new to Sdn.

I'm a 5th year dental student at University of Copenhagen graduating this year. I spent the past year conducting research full-time at UCLA (as a graduate research scholar on a grant) and have now decided to pursue a dental career in the US. I have ALWAYS known that was I aiming for OMS and I'm not settling for anything else. Fortunately surgical extractions (incl. 3rd molar) and implant surgery is a part of dental school curriculum at my dental school, I've also done externship at the National Hospital and I've been assisting in private practice for the past 3 years (surgeries included) - I know what I'm getting my self into! Unfortunately OMS seems to be the only residency that does not accept foreign graduates in the US - with the exception of a few programs. I'm considering doing a 1-year internship before applying to those program - any programs that you of that accepts international graduate for a 1-year internship?

Ps. I know about IDP programs - I'm interested in going straight to residency :)

Members don't see this ad.

Very few programs will accept applicants from international dental schools. Your application has to be outstanding and you have to have luck on your side. In 2017, 7 people from international dental schools marched into OMFS. Last year, only 1 person did. Not saying it’s impossible, but you have to find a program that accepts international applicants, and get that program to completely fall in love with you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
There are Universities who will consider international applicants; I can even name a few top programmes that will surprise you. However, the truth is, is almost impossible for a foreigner. Check the article below
Applying to OMFS as a Foreign Trained Dentist | AccessOMFS
Sorry, but I would pursue something more realistic. It's up to you if you want to persist in something that is at the moment, pointless. Seriously, my friendly suggestion, go back to Europe, keep moving forward and maybe one day come back to the US to make a good impression and be one of those few who get accepted in a OMFS Residency.
Also, try to consider doing an internship in your own country. Copenhagen and Aarhus both are very solid options.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are Universities who will consider international applicants; I can even name a few top programmes that will surprise you. However, the truth is, is almost impossible for a foreigner. Check the article below
Applying to OMFS as a Foreign Trained Dentist | AccessOMFS
Sorry, but I would pursue something more realistic. It's up to you if you want to persist in something that is at the moment, pointless. Seriously, my friendly suggestion, go back to Europe, keep moving forward and maybe one day come back to the US to make a good impression and be one of those few who get accepted in a OMFS Residency.
Also, try to consider doing an internship in your own country. Copenhagen and Aarhus both are very solid options.
Very few programs will accept applicants from international dental schools. Your application has to be outstanding and you have to have luck on your side. In 2017, 7 people from international dental schools marched into OMFS. Last year, only 1 person did. Not saying it’s impossible, but you have to find a program that accepts international applicants, and get that program to completely fall in love with you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Thanks for the response! I really do appreciate it. I know that very few accept foreign graduate, however there are 3 schools that do. I know this is a long shot! I also know that this is a though path, but I do believe it's worth the try.

I know this might sound like pointless to you - but then I keep in mind that I was a 3rd year dental student from little Copenhagen when I reached out the dean of research at UCLA to express my interest in joining his lab - I'm pretty sure everyone would have told me I was crazy if I had told them in advance. He replied and he told me that he only has postdocs in his lab and was worried I wouldn't fit it as a dental student - we did a skype interview and guess what? He agreed and offered to join his lab and I took on a phD project that I'm still working on despite being back in Denmark. In between being a full-time dental student, lecturering D2 student as D4 student, working in private practice and writing a research proposal and applying for grants I made it happen and even got a grant from my very first application to sponsor my whole stay in US for a year. I'm not saying this because I think I'm special or smarter than anyone else, because I'm not. I'm saying this because nothing is impossible without trying at least. I am determined to work hard until I reach my goals. Maybe I wont stand out compared to other US applicants, but despite being extremely self-critical I honestly do believe I would be a unique applicant.
Copenhagen and Aarhus does not offer intern position, but only a 5-year OMFS program. However, in Scandinavia it is a requirement to work in private practice for at least 2 years full time before applying for residency - another reason why I'm not losing anything by trying to apply in the US within those 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user