OMFS externship before 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted721052

Title is pretty clear: is it possible to do some externship for OMS after your preclinical years? Would some school accept that? (To have more time, to be able to do more of them and to split the cost, also) Or would that be useless since faculty won't remember you at all when it will be admission time?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most, if not all programs require you to be a D3/D4 before externing. Some of them are hands on and you need to complete your oral surgery rotation in dental school because you may be asked to suture, extract teeth, scrub in, etc. Some of the observational externships might let you come, but I would be surprised.

Title is pretty clear: is it possible to do some externship for OMS after your preclinical years? Would some school accept that? (To have more time, to be able to do more of them and to split the cost, also) Or would that be useless since faculty won't remember you at all when it will be admission time?

Thank you!
The problem is not only the externship program, your institution probably doesn’t want you to go an externship without even having seen patients in clinic. You’re a huge liability for both programs as far as they know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve known a couple people who did them the summer after D2 since they technically were “D3s” and were “in clinic” (not really). They had no issues setting them up. But they were embarrassed when asked to help pull teeth and didn’t even know how to anesthetize correctly, and I’m sure the admins forgot their face by application time (one full year later).

There's a D2 at my school externing at Jax over spring break. It can be done; you may not be able to scrub in for surgeries and may just be observing, but it's still something I guess..

You can do it. I'd focus on your coursework and grades first. After you take care of those items you've gotta take the cbse and THEN do a few externships.

It may be better to go on a few externships with prior knowledge of OR etiquette, exodontia experience, one/two hand knot tying, etc. when compared to 5+ externships where you just observed and "learn on the fly". I assume you'd want to make a good impression to the residents and attendings on these externships, and going as a D2/early D3 w/o clinical experience may make you look ambitious but unprepared. Going on a few externships (3+) and being knowledgeable and well-prepared is sufficient in demonstrating to program directors that you have spent the time checking out the OMS specialty.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck.