• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

OMFS Externships between 2nd and 3rd year

caffeinehigh

Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2007
  1. Dentist
    I am looking into an externship this summer between my 2nd and 3rd year for an OMS externship and have noticed a majority of them require completion of the 3rd year of dental school.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can look/attend an externship during this time period?

Personal experience or references would be great!!! Thanks in advance.

Regmata

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 29, 2004
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I think it was on the AAOMS site where I downloaded a list of externships and requirements. If you grab that document, there are a few programs that allow students who have completed their 2nd year to extern.

SoCalDent

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Mar 23, 2007
      1. Dental Student
        I externed after my first year (I am at UOP). Most places say you must complete 3rd year but nobody had any problem externing from my school after year 1. The ones my classmates went to that I can think of:
        OHSU
        USC
        LSU Shreveport
        Carle
        Jacksonville
        also one in NY I can't remember

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Apr 13, 2006
        1. Non-Student
          I externed after my first year (I am at UOP). Most places say you must complete 3rd year but nobody had any problem externing from my school after year 1. The ones my classmates went to that I can think of:
          OHSU
          USC
          LSU Shreveport
          Carle
          Jacksonville
          also one in NY I can't remember

Also:
          Cornell
          NYU
          LSU:NO
          Jacksonville

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.