OMFS Externships for 2020 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted972255

Anybody know what the deal will be for OMFS externships this coming summer?
Seems like a lot of people said their previously scheduled externships were cancelled due to the pandemic, but then what are we going to do if some us are not able to get any externships in before applying to residency?
I know myself and a lot of other people were probably banking on using this coming summer break to get some externships in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think programs will understand if you are missing some externship experience, since this is totally out of your control. The whole upcoming application cycle is going to be wacky

Thank you for asking the question we were all wondering.

If application go out in July, there's no way we get in any more before that. Some people haven't completed any. Maybe there will be a lot of post-interview invites... not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the general consensus that submitting you applications earlier improves your chances? Worded differently; does submitting your application a little bit later hurt your chances of getting interviews?

I’ve been rescheduled to June, we’ll see if those go through. I’m crossing my fingers the cbse still happens in August so hopefully externships happens in the summer and I can include those along with a new cbse. Not too hopeful all that will happen, but we’ll see

Is the general consensus that submitting you applications earlier improves your chances? Worded differently; does submitting your application a little bit later hurt your chances of getting interviews?

I’ve been wondering the same thing

I’ve been wondering the same thing

I haven't applied yet but from posts on previous threads: yes, getting your application in early will maximize your chances at the most amount of interviews; however, tons of people take the August CBSE and still get interviews/match.

Reactions: 1 user
My summer ones haven't cancelled yet... but then again I didn't ask lmao

Best bet is to contact individual program directors and ask

Prometric will re-open on April 15 so people will be able to take CBSE in August.

Reactions: 3 users
Prometric will re-open on April 15 so people will be able to take CBSE in August.

Saw this a few days back - not sure how legit it is but I think it's still up in the air:

There have been several updates on that reddit thread, including that some med schools are now letting students take step 1 during their third year. I'm trying to keep my head down, keep studying, and keeping all fingers and toes crossed that prometric is open in August, but it's definitely hard. Our school normally has a 6 week break over the summer, but it sounds like that's off to make up for lost time in March/April.

As far as externships, I can't imagine that we'll be held to the same standard when they're being cancelled for a global pandemic. I was lucky to squeeze one in prior to the shut down and wasn't scrubbing in during procedures due to PPE shortage concerns - it definitely wasn't a typical experience. Another has been cancelled, and I've been told I can reschedule (won't be negatively viewed if I can't) but since our school's clinic has been closed I'm hesitant to make any plans. As much as I'd love to help out and be useful, I have a feeling externs would be a liability in any healthcare setting right now, which no one wants

Reactions: 2 users
As far as applications go, in my experience, and by no means am I saying this goes for every program across the board - I've had several program directors tell me specifically that they aren't going to look at applications until the due date. Thats probably been a few program directors out of all the programs in the country so take that for a grain of salt but of the ones who told me this, they are typically very busy. They are trying to run a service, see patients in their clinic, perform surgeries, etc so they aren't going to waste time looking at applications until their specific due date (this made sense to me). I would always say that getting applications in early is the best practice though, just to ensure they are in and you can wipe your hands of them early on and not waiting a few days prior to the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to add to this but I've had 4 externships that are cancelled until further notice. Hopefully we'll get back to normal soon.

Another nonupdate - my remaining externships have also been cancelled, with the chance to reschedule later. We'll see how everything shapes up this summer, but honestly I'm just hoping to be able to take the CBSE in August. How's everyone doing mentally? Stay the course!

Another nonupdate - my remaining externships have also been cancelled, with the chance to reschedule later. We'll see how everything shapes up this summer, but honestly I'm just hoping to be able to take the CBSE in August. How's everyone doing mentally? Stay the course!

Thanks for the 'nonupdate.' I think prometric should be open by August, but maybe well all be 2-3 computers apart? I wonder how that will work out then I guess? A lot less capacity in test centers then.
Mentally, its been rough-not used to being inside this much. Humans were not made to stay inside all day, we're social creatures.
I worry this closure of schools and social distancing will go on through the fall and into next year possibly.

Thanks for the 'nonupdate.' I think prometric should be open by August, but maybe well all be 2-3 computers apart? I wonder how that will work out then I guess? A lot less capacity in test centers then.
Mentally, its been rough-not used to being inside this much. Humans were not made to stay inside all day, we're social creatures.
I worry this closure of schools and social distancing will go on through the fall and into next year possibly.
I'm with you. I find myself unintentionally distracting myself due more to stress than anything else. You're not alone on the rough stuff!

Mentally I think I’m doing fine, trying to get outside everyday and get some hiking in.

I’ll feel much better once we know if August is going to happen!

Anyone have any updates on externships? I wonder if there will be any this summer or even in the fall/winter break.

Anyone have any updates on externships? I wonder if there will be any this summer or even in the fall/winter break.

I've heard nothing regarding my August one. Hoping that things open up by then but I guess we'll see.

Externships definitely a big question mark unfortunately. If they don’t happen, remember that means NOBODY was able to go on externships so it won’t hurt anyone.

I would definitely try to see if programs will allow externships late August/September (Don’t ask now but maybe in a month or two as things become clearer). Another thing you can do is extern AFTER your interview to show interest (usually in December). But then again you guys may not be able to extern at all this year, just giving some possible tips.

Without externships it’s definitely going to be harder to figure out where to apply. Talk to upper classmen and your home OMFS faculty for tips, also maybe message some people on SDN for thoughts.

Question about externships across the board of specialties, not just OMS, but do you all think they won't have any for D3s 2020-2021?

Question about externships across the board of specialties, not just OMS, but do you all think they won't have any for D3s 2020-2021?

If schools are back up and running I don't see why they wouldn't, but I'm guessing this will be on a school by school basis - my home program mentioned that I could come back for shadowing/etc. once restrictions start easing up.

who knows, tough situation. Definitely a wait and see

Would it be appropriate to send the externship directors an email of interest with your CV? Just to create a line of discussion and let them know who you are and you are interested in externing at their program when everything clears up?

Personally I wouldn’t. They’ve got a lot on their plate right now and I wouldn’t want to risk coming off as annoying

Reactions: 4 users
I'm of the same mind ^^ Our school's reopening plan also seems pretty strict in order to make up for last time (won't be getting a summer break this year). It would be pretty brutal to get something scheduled with a program and then have to rescind based on changes in the next couple months. I informed the programs that I would only reach out when our schedules had been more solidified.

Anyone seriously asking if not having externships or not having as many as they planned will count against them is a clown. The answer is no, I’m sure they’re aware of the pandemic.

Anyone have any updates on this? I'm wondering if I can squeeze 1-2 weeks of externships in before the end of Aug.