OMFS externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tothepark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of applying to OMFS externships, I realized some of the programs require a lot of components for acceptance (letter from chief of OMFS from your dental school, undergrad transcripts, letters etc).

For those of you that have completed an OMFS externship, how many did you apply to? and do they turn down applicants rarely or frequently?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been turned down. Look into the programs you're interested in and make sure you meet their minimum requirements, if they even have any. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you...you haven't even started dental school. Relax until school starts.

I haven't been turned down. Look into the programs you're interested in and make sure you meet their minimum requirements, if they even have any. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you...you haven't even started dental school. Relax until school starts.

lol thanks for the response. I'm just very obsessive in terms of planning, etc. I was just in the middle of planning out my next 3 summers (research, boards studying, externships, etc), and I realized I didn't know much about applying to externships.

Members don't see this ad :)
just apply early; you wont get rejected usually but if the spots are full, then ...

"OMFS Externship Philosophy" although extensive, should be approached with a few general points in mind…
1. Hands-on vs. Hands-off style experiences.
2. Gain Experience based vs. my "desired" program
3. 4 year vs. 6 year program

a. It is crucial to know what style of program you are about to extern at. Know what the philosophy is and exactly what the "extern" positions' job description entails. Some programs are very hands-on and prefer to have their externs learn/maximize their daily experiences within the clinic, operating room, ED, or during rounds. (ie. LSU). This can be an eye opening experience for a rookie extern looking to gain a broad perspective in general about the field of OMFS and a great place to start for a reality check. Also for the students who have been on other externships programs with this philosophy can be beneficial for a deeper understanding of OMF residency lifestyle as they will be expected to perform at the level of an intern…live in the life of a resident for two weeks, per say. The main thing to remember here is that you have to read ahead of time as much as possible, as there is limited time for actual didactic learning during your 2-4weeks as most programs expect a high level of performance, which means taking call every night. (means bring your A-Game)
b. Hands-off style programs enable students to look into the residency from a different perspective. You are not necessarily expected to scrub into every surgery and some places do not really take trauma call (academic/dental school based programs) Some advantages are that you can start out as a new extern and gain experience and a foundation about the field of OMFS as a resident but without the added responsibilities. Can be great for newer externs just starting out. Also for mature externs as they can slow things down a bit and learn more from the attending/residents directly.
Hope those were helpful, will be continuing the conversation if there is more interest….

Great post. Insight like this is so very helpful. Thanks a ton!! :thumbup: