OMFS for canadian students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubcstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im very new to the site but have been following quite a bit lately and have found all the info very useful

Im currently attending a canadian dental school (UBC) and thinking seriously about pursuing OMFS residency (preferrably 4 year one) but I've heard on this board about how international students are at a disadvantage in the application process. As a canadian citizen graduating from a canadian school am I restricted in my choices??

I have much more to learn about the profession but I'm really begining to take an interest in this field and was hoping someone could draw me a more realistic picture

thanks a lot in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ubcstudent said:
Hi, Im very new to the site but have been following quite a bit lately and have found all the info very useful

Im currently attending a canadian dental school (UBC) and thinking seriously about pursuing OMFS residency (preferrably 4 year one) but I've heard on this board about how international students are at a disadvantage in the application process. As a canadian citizen graduating from a canadian school am I restricted in my choices??

I have much more to learn about the profession but I'm really begining to take an interest in this field and was hoping someone could draw me a more realistic picture

thanks a lot in advance
Canadians don't have such a hard time b/c they're just bastard children of the USA.

tx oms said:
Canadians don't have such a hard time b/c they're just bastard children of the USA.
I would only apply to the far northern OMFS programs. Everyone in the US thinks they're in Canada, so not many apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ubcstudent said:

thanks a lot in advance

lots of Canadian residents in all types of residency programs in the states. dental schools in U.S and Canada are accredited as the same. you're not restricted in any way. just kick arse on the boards - do a search on SDN and you'll see it over and over again - boards boards boards. do a couple externships as well. and class rank (if they rank at ubc).

thanks a lot for the replies, a few more questions...

1) if graduating from a canadian school won't hurt me, would not being an american citizen or a permanent resident of the states restrict where I can go? (ie private vs states schools etc)

2) ubc reported rankings individually until last year but starting this year the school chose not to release the information unless a personal request is made (some students complained that it breeds unneccessary competition amongst students) so how would the programs that I apply to find out my ranking??

3) this is for OMFScardsfan, we canadians aren't very good with sarcasm...are schools closer to the border more canadian friendly? (ie UofWashington etc)

lastly, I got a canadian joke for you...

how do you spell canada?

C-eh-N-eh-D-eh, eh?

ubcstudent said:
3) this is for OMFScardsfan, we canadians aren't very good with sarcasm...are schools closer to the border more canadian friendly? (ie UofWashington etc)
I don't think it matters...

there are some programs that dont accept canadians. the best way to find out is call/email them and ask, despite what information is written on the website. I found out first hand about a few programs this way.

ubcstudent said:

thanks a lot in advance

Hi UBCstudent, I am a UBC grad as well and going into OMS. You can find out more information by talking to Dr. Ian Matthew. It's never too early to start thinking about getting into a specialty program.