1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

OMFS Personal Statement (Essay)

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by Joe825, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I need help with writing an essay for my OMS application. Please give me some advice or examples on what to say. I'm looking for ideas on what to say about why oral surgery is more interesting than other specialities. Also, any examples of personal experiences bringing someone to desire an OMS specialty. If you have any sample that would be IDEAL!!!

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jediwendell

Jediwendell Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I knew a guy that talked a lot about how Karate really helped to make his life focused and that he was a black belt, etc. I think it really helped him out. You might want to focus on something like that.

4. Extraction

Extraction Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This may be useful

Doggie's personal statement was something about eating cats?? I dunno for sure you may want to PM him.

5. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It strikes me as odd that someone applying to OMS would ask why surgery is more interesting than other specialties and for personal experiences that led an applicant to surgery. These are unique to each person, and I would expect an individual to develop these while finding motivation to specialize in surgery. In other words, the fact that you can't answer these makes me wonder: Why are you applying to OMS?

6. gary_ruska

gary_ruska Member
    10+ Year Member

Gary Ruska's essay was a kicka$$ one about working with midgets on a farm.

7. schrottypie

schrottypie Member
    5+ Year Member

My essay is for periodontal specialty, but may be of usefulness to you. Please ask me and I will send you friendly.