OMFS Program interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Battlesign

Has anyone recieved an offer for an interview? A student in my class was offered an interview at Case.

Members don't see this ad.

Battlesign said:
Has anyone recieved an offer for an interview? A student in my class was offered an interview at Case.

yes. In fact me and one of my classmates got offers.

I believe Kentucky is also out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Battlesign said:

I got Case!!

Case as well...have you guys said which date you're going to go??

No invite for me :mad: Good luck boys! :thumbup: Was it email or phone call?

Yah-E said:

Case was by phone!!

Yah-E said:

I understand you go to Nova Southeastern. I have submitted an application to their program in OMFS. As a whole, how do you feel about it? Do the residents get along, call (overnight or not and schedule), lifestyle of Ft lauderdale, and anything you would like to add. I should have PMed but oh well, apologies!!

last year i think MGH harvard was pretty early as well

Battlesign said:
UF Jax is out

UF Jax
Case
Kentucky? (Is this one for sure Doggy?) Anyone else heard from kentucky?

Members don't see this ad :)
A buddy got Miami yesterday, add them to the list

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
UF Jax
Case
Kentucky? (Is this one for sure Doggy?) Anyone else heard from kentucky?

yes this one is for sure. ;)

Case
U. Kentucky
UF Jax
Miami
Please keep the list alive if you hear from any additional programs.

Case Western Reserve University
U. Kentucky
Thomas Jefferson Hospital
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami

GatorDMD said:
U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami

W: I don't like you man! You getting all these interviews already? What'sup wit that fool? Share the wealth man! All jokes aside, strong work, strong work. The only ones I'm affected by it on list are UMiami and CWRU.

Should I just simply crossed them out of my "hope list" if you guys are already getting interview invites and I have not? One of my classmate and I both applied to UMiami, but neither him or I received anything from UMiami, not even a PASS Acknowledgement Receipt Card stating whether if our applications are complete or not?

Also, isn't UMiami PASS deadline on October 3rd and program deadline on October 15th? So doesn't that mean that UMiami haven't invited everyone that they want to invite yet because there are still applications and application materials rolling in until the deadline dates?

So, I bet some OMFS residency programs such as UMiami are doing the rolling admissions routine on their interview invitations! What do you guys think?

I know I lost my chance at CWRU because their PASS deadline is 8/19 and program deadline is 9/01. So if I haven't received an invite by now, I'm out as I am sure they have invited everyone that they feel the requirements were met.

One down, 19 lottery tickets to go! :thumbup:

Don't lose hope. SOme programs will send out late interview dates dependant on if ppl from the "first batch" cancel .

do these come by phone call/email/mail?

jiggapigga said:
Don't lose hope. SOme programs will send out late interview dates dependant on if ppl from the "first batch" cancel .
We haven't even reviewed our applications yet...don't start freakin' out yet...

OMFSCardsFan said:
We haven't even reviewed our applications yet...don't start freakin' out yet...

How much are the residents involved in the application process? Do you guys oversee the entire thing (down to acceptances), interview, or hang out to get a feel of a student?

Just curious!

-Mike

Depends on the program entirely. Some programs may have residents look through applications (although most don't). Some will have chiefs or seniors in on the interview and will ask the rest who they liked and some won't ask any input. I would think for the most part, program directors and chairmen will select interviewees and will ask resident input when they make their rank lists.

Good luck

mike3kgt said:
How much are the residents involved in the application process? Do you guys oversee the entire thing (down to acceptances), interview, or hang out to get a feel of a student?

Just curious!

-Mike
As residents, we don't have a lot of say in who gets an interview, but we have a lot to say about rank order. We each make up a list seperately, and then we all tally up our lists. My list, as an intern, will count toward the final rank list just as much as each of our staff. It's a good system because it continues a trend of residents that get along well with each other. We spend the majority of the time with the interviewees, and we have a lot to say in the process. This is, I believe, unique to our program. The fact that a lot of the say comes from the residents was one of many reasons that I chose to rank my program so high.

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
Add U. Mich

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport

GatorDMD said:
U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Wow...I didn't even know that we sent out interviews already. Damn, Gator, did you get one here?

OMFSCardsFan said:
Wow...I didn't even know that we sent out interviews already. Damn, Gator, did you get one here?

yes. it was a call today. :D :D

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland

Parkland, snail mail.

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland
Carle Clinic

Carle was via snail mail

bitecys said:
U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland
Carle Clinic

Carle was via snail mail

When is Iowa offering interviews? I noticed that you there.

Hey, just a tip, but when you go to Michigan for your interview, don't let them know you all spell their state as michegan.

north2southOMFS said:
Hey, just a tip, but when you go to Michigan for your interview, don't let them know you all spell their state as michegan.

And don't say that Spartans are much better in football!! Go Sparties!

Battlesign said:
When is Iowa offering interviews? I noticed that you there.

Iowa has not sent out invites, nor given us exact dates for the interview, but all signs point for the interview to be on a Saturday either late October or late November.

wow you guys got a lot of interviews already. I mostly applied to the northeastern programs and have not gotten anything yet. Do you mind posting a little info about yourself ex board score, GPA, or class rank...whatever you feel comfortable. I just want to see if it's just me or the programs I applied to haven't sent out invites yet.

thanks

The list is on going. I have not been given invites to all of these programs, nor did I apply to all of these programs. I don't think that you need to worry this early. There is still plenty of time.

I would be more worried that you didn't apply to the midwest and south programs. ;)

Battlesign said:
I would be more worried that you didn't apply to the midwest and south programs. ;)
Haha...good point...

Battlesign said:

Unquestionably!!!! Though I have heard that many of the New York programs aren't incredibly competitive (I have heard many odd things from those who have interviewed-New York is...unique?), so in the end your chance should be reasonable with such a limited geography.

esclavo?
which omfs program are you currently attending?

esclavo said:
Unquestionably!!!! Though I have heard that many of the New York programs aren't incredibly competitive (I have heard many odd things from those who have interviewed-New York is...unique?), so in the end your chance should be reasonable with such a limited geography.

yes i got my first one today....U Mich
nice!

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland
Carle Clinic
Mayo
Houston

Mayo...today-Call
Houston...today-email

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland
Carle Clinic
Mayo
Houston
Add Knoxville, Iowa

Email Knoxville, Iowa
Mayo call today

I would be more worried that you didn't apply to the midwest and south programs. ;)[/QUOTE]

I WOULDN'T be worried about not applying to midwest and southern programs. I would agree that there are a handful of programs in the northeast that aren't the most competitive, HOWEVER, there are a good number of excellent programs in the northeast...to name a few: UConn, LIJ, Pitt. There are also quite a few programs in the midwest and south that I would consider undesirable and a good number that are some of the best training programs in the country.

Good luck

OMFSdoc said:

I WOULDN'T be worried about not applying to midwest and southern programs. I would agree that there are a handful of programs in the northeast that aren't the most competitive, HOWEVER, there are a good number of excellent programs in the northeast...to name a few: UConn, LIJ, Pitt. There are also quite a few programs in the midwest and south that I would consider undesirable and a good number that are some of the best training programs in the country.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

I've heard good things from Pitt but I haven't heard anything stellar from OMFS who did externships at UCONN. They said there wasn't anything special or that it was mediocre for the most part (I know three people-one finished 2 years ago at Minnesota, one currently at LSU-Shreve, and one at USC). My buddy is chief at BU and it sounds okay but our second year interviewed there and said it was middle of the road compared to others where he'd externed and interviewed. Our chief and second year interviewed at a couple of Programs in NY and they both left during the middle of the interview and both said they'd rather do an intern year and apply again rather than go to NY. Who knows... just some points of view.

u are better off not ranking a crummy program just for the sake of hopefully matching... Do an internship year at a strong program, and that should help boost u into a better program.

U. Kentucky
UF Jacksonville
University of Miami
University of Michegan
LSU Shrevport
Parkland
Carle Clinic
Mayo
Houston
Knoxville