OMFS programs, why are some programs so popular? (Data included)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piratewow

OMFS Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across some data from the ADA that showed how many people applied to each programs and I decided to compile a couple years of the OMFS residency programs. Basically the tables show the name of the program, how many people applied, how many 1st year residency spots they have, and the applicant/resident ratio.

I'm not sure I would draw any strong conclusions from it, I just found certain things interesting:

Many "prestigious" programs that are most often discussed on SDN ( mostly full scope 6 years or dual programs) tend to be some of the least popular programs. ( LSU, Parkland, Michigan, UAB, Mayo etc.) That being said, some full scope 4 or 4/6 programs are popular like Montefiore, Houston, Rutgers, Miami, etc.

4 year programs have many more applicants on average than 6 years. People at my school always tell me that 4 years are more "competitive" but 6 year people tend to have higher stats.

Given this data, maybe those interested in applying exclusively to 4 year programs should apply more broadly than those applying to 6 year programs? Some 4 yr programs have >100 people applying per spot, which seems crazy to me. Especially when you take into account that many programs secretly reserve a 4 year slot for the non-categorical intern.

A few caveats: Some data seem to be misreported, like certain years where Emory, Penn, etc have less than 10 applicants. Also all 4 year programs and dual 4/6 programs are listed as 4 year programs, but the trend is still generally 4> 4/6>6.

Source: Academic Programs, Enrollment, and Graduates, taken from Dental Education Programs – ADA Health Policy Institute Data Center

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• OMFS applicants to residents.xlsx
    33.6 KB · Views: 731
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because people with sub 70 scores are sometimes screened out by some of those 6 y programs, so They don’t apply there. 4 year programs tend to be more lenient on cbse scores considering there’s no usmle the applicants have to pass. Based on exam stats there are far more 60s-65s than 70s+

Probably because people with sub 70 scores are sometimes screened out by some of those 6 y programs, so They don’t apply there. 4 year programs tend to be more lenient on cbse scores considering there’s no usmle the applicants have to pass. Based on exam stats there are far more 60s-65s than 70s+
And I’m also sure the higher the score, the less programs you tend to apply to

Also
6-year applicants -> majority 4th year dental students, far less of everyone else
4-year applicants -> 4th year dental students, 1-year non-cats, 2-year non-cats, GPR/AEGD residents who decided late, military

When ~40-50% of applicants don't match each year, it creates a never ending cycle of re-applicants that lean more towards 4-year programs.

Reactions: 8 users
This actually follows the CBSE distribution and not necessarily popularity (You could attribute deviations within the 6 year programs and 4 year programs to probably location/applicant interests). I think applying to a 6 year is a self selecting process. It not only appeals to a certain applicant but also people aren’t going to apply with a low score so you have everyone 50+ applying to 4 years instead of most people being 70+ with some high 60s sprinkled in for 6 years which is a much smaller applicant pool.

I agree with @Masterus . We got the best cream of the crop applicants this year for our program so I’m not sure what’s defined as ‘unpopular’... like he said it’s self selecting. Most scored high 70s/low 80s, were top 5-10% or went to one of the P/F feeder schools, almost all had research, stellar letters, additional degrees, and other accomplishments. And since 6 year programs have most of the same interviewees I assume those other programs mentioned have been considering the same strong group.

I agree with @Masterus . We got the best cream of the crop applicants this year for our program so I’m not sure what’s defined as ‘unpopular’... like he said it’s self selecting. Most scored high 70s/low 80s, were top 5-10% or went to one of the P/F feeder schools, almost all had research, stellar letters, additional degrees, and other accomplishments. And since 6 year programs have most of the same interviewees I assume those other programs mentioned have been considering the same strong group.
Yep. The same super star applicants that my program interviewed applied to and interviewed at all the other popular 6 year programs. This seems to be an issue in the medical forums as well (few top candidates hoarding all the interviews)

So this begs to question....How can it become equitable and should it be equitable?? Are there certain mechanism that should be in place to allow for equitable number of interviews. I am curious to the participants thoughts on this. Should we limit the number of interviews allowed? Say 20 or 25.

Reactions: 1 user
So this begs to question....How can it become equitable and should it be equitable?? Are there certain mechanism that should be in place to allow for equitable number of interviews. I am curious to the participants thoughts on this. Should we limit the number of interviews allowed? Say 20 or 25.
Since virtual interviews likely won’t happen in following years it probably won’t be an issue anymore. I attended 12 and most of my cohort was in the 10-15 range. Some went on less or more.

Reactions: 1 user
Since virtual interviews likely won’t happen in following years it probably won’t be an issue anymore. I attended 12 and most of my cohort was in the 10-15 range. Some went on less or more.
Let's hope that it gets back to normal. I am wondering if some programs will continue with virtual interviews.

Reactions: 1 users