OMFS residency admission difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btpayne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How well do you have to do in dental school to be able to get into an OMFS residency program? I might want to go to University of Iowa dental school someday, and I saw that they have an OMFS residency program. I'd just like to get a general idea as to how competitive it is.

Members don't see this ad.

How well do you have to do in dental school to be able to get into an OMFS residency program? I might want to go to University of Iowa dental school someday, and I saw that they have an OMFS residency program. I'd just like to get a general idea as to how competitive it is.

I'm not sure you want to open this can of worms... especially if you haven't taken the time to research this on here.

Only some of the best of the best dental students get in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Getting into OMFS residency is the easiest thing in the world. The following is required: good grades, good board scores, good personality, a like for long hours with challenging work, work well with others, willing to do multiple years of residency, able to work with patients other people find to be challenging, strong interview. Nothing could be easier. Start dental school first. Make sure you tell everyone you know that you want to be an oral surgeon. People will admire your determination.

Reactions: 1 user
Here check this out http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/sumstats.htm

If you think about it, approx 4400-4500 dental students graduate every year. And only about 350 each year apply to omfs. About 200 of them get in. This has been going on for the past 5 years. Now I can't be sure why only 350 apply, maybe they don't have the right stats? or not everybody wants to do a 4-6 year hardcore residency? but if you think about it, for those who are motivated enough, there is a pretty good chance of making it (200 out of 350 are not bad stats)

Here check this out http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/sumstats.htm

If you think about it, approx 4400-4500 dental students graduate every year. And only about 350 each year apply to omfs. About 200 of them get in. This has been going on for the past 5 years. Now I can't be sure why only 350 apply, maybe they don't have the right stats? or not everybody wants to do a 4-6 year hardcore residency? but if you think about it, for those who are motivated enough, there is a pretty good chance of making it (200 out of 350 are not bad stats)

The number of of people that apply to OMFS is more than 350. That 350ish number refers to the number of people submitting a rank list, ie those that received at least one interview offer. The 350 does not include those that applied but failed to get any interview offers or those that did get interview offers, but for whatever reason, decided not to attend them or attended them but decided not to submit a rank list.

Getting into OMFS is competitive.. But I also think that if you work hard during dental school, you can do it.

If you do Dentistry for a bit after going to school and gain experience, isn't it much easier to get into a residency after the fact rather than just going straight to a specialized residency?

If you do Dentistry for a bit after going to school and gain experience, isn't it much easier to get into a residency after the fact rather than just going straight to a specialized residency?

There is a guy around here, forgot his name, he was a general dentist for 8 year and just recently got accepted into an OMFS program, he will be starting his residency this summer.... from what he said, there are programs out there that actually favor applicants who worked as dentists for some years

There is a guy around here, forgot his name, he was a general dentist for 8 year and just recently got accepted into an OMFS program, he will be starting his residency this summer.... from what he said, there are programs out there that actually favor applicants who worked as dentists for some years

And then there are some programs that don't like general dentists because of the 'break in' period and the easy ability of the dentist to leave and rejoin their private practice world. Intern years are better to improve the application. Just hearsay though. The other dental specialties are different though.

I would plan on working hard in dental school, applying during dental school, and matching immediatly. Working for a couple years would be torture if you really do like OMS enough. You will see what I mean when you get to the application, match, acceptance point. OMS is a dental specialty, but the day to day of oms residency is far removed from the dental world.

And then there are some programs that don't like general dentists because of the 'break in' period and the easy ability of the dentist to leave and rejoin their private practice world. Intern years are better to improve the application. Just hearsay though. The other dental specialties are different though.

I would plan on working hard in dental school, applying during dental school, and matching immediatly. Working for a couple years would be torture if you really do like OMS enough. You will see what I mean when you get to the application, match, acceptance point. OMS is a dental specialty, but the day to day of oms residency is far removed from the dental world.

Yeh I was reading the OMFS program at univ of michigan lol, out of the 6 years, 2 of them are spent doing general surgery, even at the end of the 6 years, you earn a certificate stating you have 2 years in general surgery... thats nuts yo, I heard general surgery residency is most intense

The number of of people that apply to OMFS is more than 350. That 350ish number refers to the number of people submitting a rank list, ie those that received at least one interview offer. The 350 does not include those that applied but failed to get any interview offers or those that did get interview offers, but for whatever reason, decided not to attend them or attended them but decided not to submit a rank list.

Getting into OMFS is competitive.. But I also think that if you work hard during dental school, you can do it.

Very good point. :thumbup:

I recently had the pleasure of speaking with a couple of students who went through the match and will be starting 6-year OMFS programs next year.

They agreed that grades, board scores, LOR are important.

The biggest surprise to me was how important personality can be. But it's an excellent point - if the program directors are going to be spending loottttssss of time with you for 6 yrs (or even 4), they want to know that they can get along with you.

I was told that enthusiasm is important, but many programs are put off by an expectant attitude. So stay humble.