OMFS Residency and Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ7000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have a question. If I match into an OMFS residency program that is in another state, do I need to obtain a dental license from the state the program is in? I am assuming the state the residency is in does not accept the licensing exam I took in dental school (CRDTS) Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I have a question. If I match into an OMFS residency program that is in another state, do I need to obtain a dental license from the state the program is in? I am assuming the state the residency is in does not accept the licensing exam I took in dental school (CRDTS) Help?

That would depend on the residency program, but probably not.

I heard that at UMKC you have to get a Missouri dental license by the end of your first year. I was told this was the case about 6 years ago and don't know if it changed, however this is a good thing to ask about because you don't want to have your progression in the program contingent on passing their state's dental licensing exam.