OMFS Residency Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarjuncky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated dental school in 2001 w/ a GPA of 3.3, class rank 64/85, NDB I: 87, NDB II: 83, did internship in OS then GPR w/ strong IV sedation training. Have been in private practice for 3 yrs performing general and sedation txts. am studying to retake partI in August to try and get 90. which programs would I have a chance at? I would appreciate an honest response. I am strongly motivated to be an OS. Also when is the latest u recommend I retake the test in august to not miss the deadlines for 2007?

Members don't see this ad.

molarjuncky said:
I graduated dental school in 2001 w/ a GPA of 3.3, class rank 64/85, NDB I: 87, NDB II: 83, did internship in OS then GPR w/ strong IV sedation training. Have been in private practice for 3 yrs performing general and sedation txts. am studying to retake partI in August to try and get 90. which programs would I have a chance at? I would appreciate an honest response. I am strongly motivated to be an OS. Also when is the latest u recommend I retake the test in august to not miss the deadlines for 2007?

since you dental school performance is average at best, i would try and get some very good recommendations from your GPR. That, private practice experience, and convincing programs that you are sincere in your desire to pursue OMS are your greatest strengths. Taking step I again is not a bad idea but are you talking about starting in 2007 or interviewing in 2007?

scalpel2008 said:
since you dental school performance is average at best, i would try and get some very good recommendations from your GPR. That, private practice experience, and convincing programs that you are sincere in your desire to pursue OMS are your greatest strengths. Taking step I again is not a bad idea but are you talking about starting in 2007 or interviewing in 2007?

starting in 2007, interviewing this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
molarjuncky said:
starting in 2007, interviewing this year.

it's been a while since the whole aplication process for me but if you take your boards in august, you wont have your results until middle to late sept. a lot of programs have their pass deadlines at that time or even sooner. if you want to try an interview this year for a 07 spot, you better get everything lined up now with pass except for your board score,a nd the moment you get it, submit your pass. which means you need to register for match asap also. even though your numbers aren't all that great, like i said, if you have the desire, you can do it. it may require an internship year somewhere (which strengthens your application tremendously). good luck. :thumbup:

molarjuncky said:

In Assael's editorial in this months JOMS, he reports there are 180 available residency positions in which there were only 300 total applicants. It shouldnt' be that hard to get into these days.

rrc said:
In Assael's editorial in this months JOMS, he reports there are 180 available residency positions in which there were only 300 total applicants. It shouldnt' be that hard to get into these days.

And yet, at the end of the match, there are programs with empty spots! Does the article address that? I'm curious if the cause is becasue applicants don't apply to enough programs or because programs are too picky and don't rank some of their applicants. Or both.

scalpel2008 said:
it's been a while since the whole aplication process for me but if you take your boards in august, you wont have your results until middle to late sept. a lot of programs have their pass deadlines at that time or even sooner. if you want to try an interview this year for a 07 spot, you better get everything lined up now with pass except for your board score,a nd the moment you get it, submit your pass. which means you need to register for match asap also. even though your numbers aren't all that great, like i said, if you have the desire, you can do it. it may require an internship year somewhere (which strengthens your application tremendously). good luck. :thumbup:

i have already done an internship. do i need to do another if am able to get higher than a 90 on part I boards retake?

molarjuncky said:
i have already done an internship. do i need to do another if am able to get higher than a 90 on part I boards retake?

if your internship was one where you functioned essentially as a first year OMS resident (rounded with the team, took care of in patients, took first call, slaved in the clinic, etc etc) as opposed to working in the undergrad clinic, i think you have a decent shot at a spot even w/o retaking your boards. Good recommendations from that internship will help you out a lot. and you've done a GPR. i think you have attributes that a lot of the other candidates don't have and this MIGHT make up for your rank and part 1. so the answer to your question, if you've already done a real internship, you maybe fine as is if you are not too picky. The dual degree MD programs will have a problem with your part 1 however.

scalpel2008 said:
if your internship was one where you functioned essentially as a first year OMS resident (rounded with the team, took care of in patients, took first call, slaved in the clinic, etc etc) as opposed to working in the undergrad clinic, i think you have a decent shot at a spot even w/o retaking your boards. Good recommendations from that internship will help you out a lot. and you've done a GPR. i think you have attributes that a lot of the other candidates don't have and this MIGHT make up for your rank and part 1. so the answer to your question, if you've already done a real internship, you maybe fine as is if you are not too picky. The dual degree MD programs will have a problem with your part 1 however.

yes it was a true internsip as u describe and have a good letter from the director. I understand regarding the MD programs, now then any 4 yr programs you can name that I might have a chance at? OR which ones I should not waste time and apply to?

Dont take this as absoloute, but while calling the 20 or so programs I am applying to, I have asked the question straight up, do you typically take people straight out of school, or do you require a GPR or Internship experience. Off the top of my head, a few programs in NY said "most" their residents had a GPR or Internship, Oklahoma said some have residents with post-doc and some straight out. There was one additional program, and I cant remember which one, because I crossed them off my list, but they said all of their residents have at least a GPR before being accepted. So you may want to call programs and ask if your experience is something they value, and ask if most their residents are straight from dental school or have some post-doc exp. It is a pain in the arse calling these programs, b/c the person who typically answers the phone doesnt know sh1t, but if you are persistent and talk to someone with a clue, the conversation could be high yield. Good luck

JavadiCavity said:
And yet, at the end of the match, there are programs with empty spots! Does the article address that? I'm curious if the cause is becasue applicants don't apply to enough programs or because programs are too picky and don't rank some of their applicants. Or both.

Both. Just because a program interviews you doesn't mean they'll rank you.

InMyCrossHairs said:
Dont take this as absoloute, but while calling the 20 or so programs I am applying to, I have asked the question straight up, do you typically take people straight out of school, or do you require a GPR or Internship experience. Off the top of my head, a few programs in NY said "most" their residents had a GPR or Internship, Oklahoma said some have residents with post-doc and some straight out. There was one additional program, and I cant remember which one, because I crossed them off my list, but they said all of their residents have at least a GPR before being accepted. So you may want to call programs and ask if your experience is something they value, and ask if most their residents are straight from dental school or have some post-doc exp. It is a pain in the arse calling these programs, b/c the person who typically answers the phone doesnt know sh1t, but if you are persistent and talk to someone with a clue, the conversation could be high yield. Good luck

In my list the following programs mentioned something about a GPR being good:
Medical College of Georgia
The Brooklyn Hospital
Indiana University

Any of these ring a bell off your list?
what does anyone think about applying to more than 20 programs? could that back fire against me somehow? I cant think of a reason, other than the damn expense of PASS.

molarjuncky said:
In my list the following programs mentioned something about a GPR being good:
Medical College of Georgia
The Brooklyn Hospital
Indiana University

Any of these ring a bell off your list?
what does anyone think about applying to more than 20 programs? could that back fire against me somehow? I cant think of a reason, other than the damn expense of PASS.
There is absolutely no disadvantage to applying to more than 20 programs besides financial. We had 2 candidates in my class apply to upwards of 50 programs. One got 2 interviews and didn't match; the other got 1 interview and matched. So, you never know what can happen. Good luck :luck:

TiggerJSA said:
We had 2 candidates in my class apply to upwards of 50 programs. One got 2 interviews and didn't match; the other got 1 interview and matched. So, you never know what can happen. Good luck :luck:

50+ programs, 1 or 2 interviews? that says alot about their stats. :oops:

Does anyone know if parkland only takes top 10% ranked people? what if you got >90 on part I but not ranked in top 10%? do u have a chance there?

molarjuncky said:
Does anyone know if parkland only takes top 10% ranked people? what if you got >90 on part I but not ranked in top 10%? do u have a chance there?

Places that require 90+ is only because the medical school requires that....hence, almost all the 6 year programs will have that criteria.

I'm not sure about the rankings though....

Cold Front said:
What about 4 year programs? <90 scores are ok?
There isn't an absolute answer. I believe all you pre-OMFS have seen enough posts in the last 3 years or at least there are enough posts in the last 3 years about this topic of "how do I get in".

Rule of thumb for numbers to apply to Ortho and OMFS is "higher the better"! Going back to your question, <90 is OK depending on a sh1t load of other factors for both 4- and 6-year programs! Just like everything else in the world, getting in to OMFS is multifactoral evaluation.

Asking "<90 scores are ok" is like asking "is abortion wrong", it's not a clean cut answer.